Stray Fawn Community

Gills give fishing

Katumai

This always bothered me for some reason...

So, gills are based on a shark's head, right? I don't know what else it would be based on. (possibly a whale? Not sure) Then why, oh why, can you not fish with them? I know that the whole point of them is to give you underwater breathing, but we've got water body for that. Also, gills have no other stats going for them (love how they look though, it really grew on me recently).

So why not just give them fishing? It's not like sharks have claws or anything (that's an image, shark claws), they literally just fish with their big ol' chompers. I can't really think of a reason that gills wouldn't be able to fish. Also, it just makes me sad when I toss my beautiful gilled children into the sea-only for them to just stare at the fish like they're watching paint dry. What else can they do down there, collect things? Clams? Seaweed? Leeches?

TLDR: Make gills have nomming ability

Thanks for coming to my Ted Talk.

• Like 4

4 replies to this post

I agree with this suggestion mainly because Gills need to have an advantage aside from Underwater Breathing if we ever want to get other aquatic-inspired heads! I've seen/thought of some other suggestions for heads that are based on various sea/water creatures, but most of them would render Gills useless if they conferred an Underwater Breathing ability because it's the only thing Gills CAN do. I think it would make perfect sense if Gills had a fishing ability :) 

1 minute ago, The guiding spirit said:

whales don't have gills

Interesting,but that's not the point, I was just trying to give examples of what the gills could be based on.

For example: Heat body is based on a cactus (or at least an in-game one), but obviously a cactus isn't gonna do anything to warm you up. It just hurts you. Prickly pear. 

Even then, sharks don't have those weird little transparent frill things on the sides of their head, but nichelings with gills do. Most of niche is less about giving them realistic genes, and more about giving them genes based on real things. Like how real cats cant fix a broken leg by purring, or how birds don't have fricken fennec fox ears.

• Like 2