Stray Fawn Community

Help with getting into Niche RPs

HotCoco278

Hey, y’all! I have had Niche for a week now and I LOVE it. It is fun to see if my story mode try can keep that star immunity gene (spoiler it probably won’t). But RPing in Niche seems really popular. It’s pretty hard for me to keep up with all the nichelings when attempting, and I never really have fun. A post on the Subreddit was kinda helpful (haven’t been able to play niche since I read it) but it still would be nice to see how you guys play.

• Like 1

I had a hard time starting to RP with my tribes, but these ways generally work for me:

Setting a limit to the tribe size, mostly 10 nichelings at max. Yes, you have to limit yourself and it's hard to not just keep on breeding, especially in story mode when you can't just set a tribe limit using the settings. But, on the bright side, you will actually be able to tell your nichelings apart.

Play slowly, take time to think about what your nichelings are doing, and why. I generally struggle with that, because I'm impatient, but if you're in the right headspace it can be great!

If you don't fell like taking your time, try playing another tribe. I generally have RP and RP-free tribes. Depending on my mood, I play different ones.

If you have fun with that kind of thing, build their world first. What do they believe in? Do they have certain customs, like using berries to paint? Do they believe in gods, or something else entirely? Is this thing they believe in real? Are certain genes blessed/cursed? It makes the RP far more organic and deep, because these characters live in a real, believable world.

Another option would be to give your creatures a longer lifespan using the customizable sandbox settings. Here I would strongly advise you to set a tribe limit as well, unless you want to have twenty indistinguishable, nearly immortal nichelings. Since they are around this long it's easier to let them develop a character, without pausing the game for too long.

You can also try to use a generator to give your nichelings different character traits if you don't want to come up with your own.

Lastly, this is the most labor-intensive way and it doesn't work for everyone. Try writing things down. Depending on how much/what kind of information you write, it can take a lot of time and maybe become more of a chore than something you enjoy. Only do this if you feel like it!

I like to write down timelines, for example births, deaths, important events like bearyena attacks, etc. Sometimes, when I feel like giving myself a lot of work, I write down entire biographies, when I'm lazy it's usually just a few words summarizing everything.

What is important is that you're having fun - try things that suit you.

I hope this incoherent rambling helps at least somewhat.

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

5 hours ago, mhiahia said:

I had a hard time starting to RP with my tribes, but these ways generally work for me:

Setting a limit to the tribe size, mostly 10 nichelings at max. Yes, you have to limit yourself and it's hard to not just keep on breeding, especially in story mode when you can't just set a tribe limit using the settings. But, on the bright side, you will actually be able to tell your nichelings apart.

Play slowly, take time to think about what your nichelings are doing, and why. I generally struggle with that, because I'm impatient, but if you're in the right headspace it can be great!

If you don't fell like taking your time, try playing another tribe. I generally have RP and RP-free tribes. Depending on my mood, I play different ones.

If you have fun with that kind of thing, build their world first. What do they believe in? Do they have certain customs, like using berries to paint? Do they believe in gods, or something else entirely? Is this thing they believe in real? Are certain genes blessed/cursed? It makes the RP far more organic and deep, because these characters live in a real, believable world.

Another option would be to give your creatures a longer lifespan using the customizable sandbox settings. Here I would strongly advise you to set a tribe limit as well, unless you want to have twenty indistinguishable, nearly immortal nichelings. Since they are around this long it's easier to let them develop a character, without pausing the game for too long.

You can also try to use a generator to give your nichelings different character traits if you don't want to come up with your own.

Lastly, this is the most labor-intensive way and it doesn't work for everyone. Try writing things down. Depending on how much/what kind of information you write, it can take a lot of time and maybe become more of a chore than something you enjoy. Only do this if you feel like it!

I like to write down timelines, for example births, deaths, important events like bearyena attacks, etc. Sometimes, when I feel like giving myself a lot of work, I write down entire biographies, when I'm lazy it's usually just a few words summarizing everything.

What is important is that you're having fun - try things that suit you.

I hope this incoherent rambling helps at least somewhat.

Thank you! I also have issued with being impatient. The  idea of them using berry to paint, i love it (maybe you could use commands to remove a few berries because their painting)!

• Like 2

• 1 year later...
Just now, HotCoco278 said:

more proof that I am a time traveller messing with you

😰😰😰😱😱😱😱😱⁉️‼️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️⁉️

On 4/4/2020 at 5:16 AM, HotCoco278 said:

Hey, y’all! I have had Niche for a week now and I LOVE it. It is fun to see if my story mode try can keep that star immunity gene (spoiler it probably won’t). But RPing in Niche seems really popular. It’s pretty hard for me to keep up with all the nichelings when attempting, and I never really have fun. A post on the Subreddit was kinda helpful (haven’t been able to play niche since I read it) but it still would be nice to see how you guys play.

Wow coco, i knew you liked niche but i didn’t know you LOVED it

• Like 1