Stray Fawn Community

Tutorial or Robot design walkthrough (playable)

Levelerz

11 replies to this post

There will be a complete indepth tutorial later down the road. During the closed alpha and probably during parts of the early access we won't have a step by step tutorial, as they are very time consuming to produce and if we add new features, the tutorial will be obsolete quickly. Therefore the final and indepth tutorial will be only added when we have most of the features implemented that are on our roadmap. Until then we will periodically update the slideshow and maybe make youtube videos which explain certain building aspects of the game.

But I definitely agree with you that a good tutorial is needed for the final game :) 

What kind of new movement types would you like to see?

• Like 1

New movement types, hmm? Well, the ground on these planets is pretty broken up, so I don't imagine wheels or legs would ever really be any good. If we want to consider new movement types, I think we would need a reason to even consider them - what could be better or easier than the thrusters we have now? 

If there were flatter worlds, I could see a use for wheels. If there were water worlds, I could see a use for ballast tanks or a kind of propeller. If there were extreme winds, I could see a use for a spiked sticky foot/leg/grapple device. A dirigible might be fun, but I don't know if it's needed or would clutter up the game. 

Shoot, we could have a use for a grapple/harpoon device right now - a winch to attach magnets to, or if the spike were adjusted to that if we rocket them at something they stick as if pierced? Oh, wait, I think I remember a tractor beam upgrade we already have. I just haven't unlocked it yet. 

• Like 1

Winches, cables, and grapples come up repeatedly; I hope to see something along these lines, too.  It could be as simple as a spring with an adjustable 'length' setting, or as complex as a harpoon gun, but some kind of retractable cable will be nice.

One of the devs also mentioned that they had plans for pistons, when it was suggested.

Wheels were a stretch goal that was met, so we should see those eventually.

• Like 1

The game is about building what you want, so I would hope for a part where you can press a button to make it freely extend until ti hits a cable length limit, with another button that pulls it back in at a slower rate. That way, if we want it to rocket out, or stick, or insert purpose here, then it would be up to use to attach those parts. We'd need an additional harpoon part though, or an addition to the spike that makes it really stick. Then, if you put this cable part on a decoupler, you could detach it, or on a factory you could detach it and make a new one!

I also got to thinking, they could add propellers or jet engines. Make them a sort of part that gets better with increasing air resistance, instead of the thruster which gets worse. And if they implement an asteroid-area vaccum level, the the props could no go at all. 

Try and make us change up our drones, yes?

• Like 1

Not sure it would present much challenge, though.  Just make an atmospheric variant with the same bindings.  It sounds like adding busywork as a barrier to optimization.

I might be more in favor if it were a strategic choice, rather than having correct and incorrect choices for a particular planet. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, notsew93 said:

The game is about building what you want, so I would hope for a part where you can press a button to make it freely extend until ti hits a cable length limit, with another button that pulls it back in at a slower rate. That way, if we want it to rocket out, or stick, or insert purpose here, then it would be up to use to attach those parts. We'd need an additional harpoon part though, or an addition to the spike that makes it really stick. Then, if you put this cable part on a decoupler, you could detach it, or on a factory you could detach it and make a new one!

I think that a simple cable block would be better than a full scale ready to use grapple. With a cable, you could still make a grapple, you would just have to use your brain, instead of it being ore-made for you. The cable would have a max length (adjustable in game so it can be used as a winch to reel things in. Maybe also a button which releases it all at once so that grapples would be easier), but no min length. As long as the cable is inside the max length, it is ignored for physics purposes, so that you can have two connected craft, but they don’t interfere with each other physically. One of the craft could be a small grapple with some thrusters to make it shoot out and, if it gets implemented, some sort of togglable glue block so that it can stick to terrain.

• Like 2