Stray Fawn Community

Ideas for niche mythology!

Sky

So, y'know, a lot of us have a pantheon of gods and goddesses, right? But not many people have much mythology other than those gods and goddesses (though some do). Well, if you want to have some fun Niche mythology, here's some ideas to come up with stories for! Feel free to share your takes on each point here, or even make your own thread! You can also share even more ideas :D (also, you can just pick and choose, you don't have to use/answer all the questions, just want to make that clear)

-What happens to nichelings that aren't gods and goddesses when they die? If they somehow exist afterwards in a sort of afterlife, are they different from gods and goddesses (minus the powers), or from their live selves? Do good nichelings go to one place, and bad ones to another?

-In real life, some species can interbreed with each other, like horses and donkeys (creating mules). But this is widely known to be because they share some of the same ancestors, and haven't changed so much that they can't breed with eachother anymore. So, why can Nichelings and Bearyenas breed, when they're different species?

-How did the Niche world come to be?

-Do all Nichelings speak English? Do they all speak a different language, but when depicted on the forums, speak English? Do different groups of Nichelings speak different languages?

-Not quite mythology, but how do your nichelings see, for example, the instant aging of teen to adult? Do they simply wake up one day and find themselves taller and more mature, or are the changes over time, like in real life? Other examples include nicheling death (body instantly changes into bones), food storage, and nighttime.

-How do nichelings become gods and goddesses? Is there a nicheling that chooses who becomes a god or goddess, or what?

-If there's so many different pantheons, is only one true, and the rest just stories? Is each pantheon real, but they each control a different area of the world? If the second one is the case, then do some/all nichelings know of multiple pantheons? Can the areas interact? Can nichelings from one pantheon's area cross into a different pantheon's area? (I'd assume so because of, y'know, give-me-a-nicheling playthroughs, but do whatever you want!)

-Do humans exist in the same world as nichelings? If so: Do they live separately from nichelings? Do they know nichelings exist? If they live alongside nichelings, it it peacefully? Do different groups of humans and nichelings have different relationships? Do humans keep nichelings as pets? Decorate their homes with their pelts?

-How do nichelings gain gems? Do they magically appear upon the nicheling's chest when they reach the right age? Do they find the gems? Is there a god or goddess who gives the gems to nichelings? Do gems simply not exist in the Niche world, and are only there for us people as a guide when playing the game?

-that's all my suggestions, but please feel free to suggest your own!

• Like 5
  • Eek! 1

2 hours ago, Applesauce said:

Just curious, you guys use the same pantheon for every tribe or a separate one for each?

I'm not sure if what I have even counts as a pantheon

• Like 1

These questions are great, now I get to think even more about my different mythologies!

-What happens to nichelings that aren't gods and goddesses when they die?

This depends. My tribes have varying beliefs (kind of like we do) and some are correct while others aren't. Some tribes actually have a quite boring afterlife, where they all just kind of exist. In one belief-system female nichelings can choose to try and be reborn. If they are reborn, even once, they can't go into the afterlife. Instead they are kind of like sleeping spirits and can be contacted by a specific group of nichelings. Males and females that didn't try to be reborn or didn't succeed at their first try go on to live in the wind.

There is also a tribe where there are two planes of existence, the living world and the world of the Frozen Ones. Everyone else just disappears after their death. Only three nichelings who aren't Frozen Ones still exist in another dimension - the in-between, where they are only shadows of themselves.

I generally think that beliefs can spread from their original tribe to other ones. Maybe I'll create a topic where everyone can post their nichelings beliefs and others can then have tribes living after those, therefore spreading their mythology.

Technically, just like ours. In terms of beliefs I don't have a lot planned there...yet.

-Do all Nichelings speak English? Do they all speak a different language, but when depicted on the forums, speak English? Do different groups of Nichelings speak different languages?

They definitely speak different languages. Personally I don't think that we would be able to understand them or they us for that matter. I'm trying to work on something really cool (in my opinion) concerning niche language.

-Not quite mythology, but how do your nichelings see, for example, the instant aging of teen to adult? Do they simply wake up one day and find themselves taller and more mature, or are the changes over time, like in real life? Other examples include nicheling death (body instantly changes into bones), food storage, and nighttime.

They grow older over time, although I'm still trying to figure out how long they live in our terms. Food storage is complicated - they definitely store food but a store of 500+ food for a tiny tribe just means that they are very well-fed.

The day-night cycle could maybe consist of far more time than ours. This would explain the rapid aging and how bearyenas can sneak up on our creatures.

-How do nichelings become gods and goddesses? Is there a nicheling that chooses who becomes a god or goddess, or what?

Depends on the different beliefs. In some, it's chance. In others there are steps that can be taken to ensure that you will be a god, but these are only known to few.

-If there's so many different pantheons, is only one true, and the rest just stories? Is each pantheon real, but they each control a different area of the world? If the second one is the case, then do some/all nichelings know of multiple pantheons? Can the areas interact? Can nichelings from one pantheon's area cross into a different pantheon's area? (I'd assume so because of, y'know, give-me-a-nicheling playthroughs, but do whatever you want!)

Yes and no. It depends fully on the pantheon. Some are truly just stories, others are dead now but were real once. Those still existing are sometimes very well-known while others are niche-gods (pun intended). As I mentioned above, maybe we could try and "convert" others to our individual belief systems. Some wanderers are believers trying to spread the message of their gods (this can sometimes be countered with very strong aggression).

-Do humans exist in the same world as nichelings? If so: Do they live separately from nichelings? Do they know nichelings exist? If they live alongside nichelings, it it peacefully? Do different groups of humans and nichelings have different relationships? Do humans keep nichelings as pets? Decorate their homes with their pelts?

I don't think so. Maybe in a parallel universe but for me the game-verse exist on a different planet in a different solar system.

-How do nichelings gain gems? Do they magically appear upon the nicheling's chest when they reach the right age? Do they find the gems? Is there a god or goddess who gives the gems to nichelings? Do gems simply not exist in the Niche world, and are only there for us people as a guide when playing the game?

I love the idea of them finding them, maybe I'll try and build a belief-system around that. For me, they are part of the nichelings biology and show health, age, etc. They consist of similar things as horns and claws, and their coulours change due to the nichelings hormones. Some can change them at will, to try and impress their partner, signal sickness, dominance or a pairing or family.

I'd just like to ask what people think of the pantheon-sharing idea. Other people could add their own twists to your ideas, but you would still be credited as the "Inventor".

• Like 4

Might as well answer these, right?

-What happens to nichelings that aren't gods or goddesses when they die?

Ho boy, I've got a LOT on this, for answers you can just read my pantheon page, it's uh-complicated.

-In real life, some species can interbreed with each other, like horses and donkeys (creating mules). But this is widely known to be because they share some of the same ancestors, and haven't changed so much that they can't breed with eachother anymore. So, why can Nichelings and Bearyenas breed, when they're different species?

Simple-bearyenas and nichelings share the same ancestors (in my world). The One Of Hope created only a couple of species at first, but evolution and all that. The niche world hasn't existed for long enough that bearyenas and nichelings are far enough removed to not breed, only around 30,000 years.

Two siblings, with names unknown, were mortal enemies. They were born from the universe, some strange paradox that let them live, even though they were never supposed to. They created two worlds, and were known as The One Of Hope and The Rotting One.

Actually-no. I made an entire niche language that most tribes speak, though some tribes that have lived in more isolated places speak other languages. They speak english in RPs and such though.

It definitely happens over time. I've always seen one day as maybe two or three days in the niche world.

That's a complicated question on my part...in my world, there's only one true pantheon, but it's still very possible to cross over to other worlds. The keeper of time, Quosine, has her plans. She can do whatever she wants with these timelines, even make it seem like they were the same all along. She never should have gained that power.

I imagine that they don't, at least not on the same planet. The niche world could also possibly be a whole unexplored part of Earth, but that seems a bit too farfetched. Maybe a few humans have visited the niche world from Earth, who knows?

I've only ever drawn nichelings with their gems a couple of times-but I've always just seen them as something to show the player their energy. I do have a little nod to the gems in my rp though, even if they play a pretty different role.

• Like 3

One of the things that really piqued my interest about this was the afterlife question, because for me, I always saw my gods and goddeses living in a tower on a sky island. But I never thought much about the ones who werren't of the godly kind. Until now! I came up with the perfect afterlifes for my pantheon. 

Yes, there are two places for them to be able to go, and I gave them very simple names, until I can come up with something more complex.

The Stars and the Sea.

The Stars are a thick belt of stars (duh) that can be seen on the most upwards parts of the sky, think of the placement similar to the northern lights. Each star you see is a passed Nicheling, with the two brightest stars are the legendary Adam and Eve, the ones who started it all. The closer to the Adam and Eve stars they are, the better they’ve done in their life. Once you pass the visible stars--theoretically, seeing as it isn't physically there--you see the Sky Land, the island that resides in the sky. The center of the island stands a tall ivory and gold tower, taller than anything you could fathom. It reaches to the sky and grabs hold. At the very top of this tower, live the gods and goddesses, watching over everything.

The Sea is a deep crevice that runs under the ocean where no sunlight can reach. Under the sea floor lurk the most dreadful of all creatures, the murderers, the tyrannical leaders, and those who never cared for figuring out where they went wrong in life. There are three levels to the crevice, each one smaller than the last, even harder to get into. The deepest caverns of The Sea are where the most vile of creatures have been forced to live. The Sea is the reason why water creatures (webbed feet of any kind, swimming tail, tailfin, fin head, water body) are frowned upon. Others think they’re reincarnates from The Sea, or are trying to bring those from The Sea back to life on the surface so they can wreak havoc once more.

• Like 3

-How did the ancient genes get almost completely wiped out in the snow? How did those few nichelings survive? What happened there that caused them to be frozen in time? How did nichelings reappear? Why do their genes look so different?

-Why do nichelings refuse to give birth on something other than a nest? Where did the nests come from? Why are the nests you make not permanent? 

• Like 2

-What kinds of abilities to gods and goddesses have? Is there anything that goes out of the ‘boundaries’? Are they able to have the same powers? Is there anything they all have in common?

okay im done now XD

for now 0o0

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 1:31 PM, Sky said:

-What happens to nichelings that aren't gods and goddesses when they die? If they somehow exist afterwards in a sort of afterlife, are they different from gods and goddesses (minus the powers), or from their live selves? Do good nichelings go to one place, and bad ones to another?

(answering everything with the theme being my Demirations playthrough)

-They watch from above until they find a nicheling to secretly guide down whatever path they choose. 

-Yes, they are different. Gods/Goddesses control general stuff, like karma, elements, etc, while others get to guide one specific nicheling.

-No, gods/goddesses go above to watch over, others wander as ghosts or spirits. There isn't a good or bad place.

-Bearyenas are the only current tameable predator. Niche still haven't found ways to breed with others, but I believe it is possible.

-shgdhdgd not going into that question

-They don't even speak English, it's all just translated for convenience.

-To speak separate languages, somebody has to put in the effort of creating it.

-Slowly. But in a fast way.

-The gods help decompose bodies easier so that the sight of the dead loved one isn't there to cause pain.

-Storage? Just become Pinkamena Diane Pie.

-One in-game day is daytime, second day is noon and night.

-A nicheling passes their power to said niche.

-If there's so many different pantheons, is only one true, and the rest just stories? Is each pantheon real, but they each control a different area of the world? If the second one is the case, then do some/all nichelings know of multiple pantheons? Can the areas interact? Can nichelings from one pantheon's area cross into a different pantheon's area?

-Different universes.

-NO. NOT OKAY.

-There are SEPERATE universes for humans.

-One gem = One new dominant personality trait.

• Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 3:31 PM, Sky said:

-They become Spirits, and live in Tyni, where gods and goddesses also live.
-Spirits cannot breed;  are stuck at the age they died at; have gems that glow; and, if the mortals (and even the gods and goddesses) forget about them, they fade away. It is unknown what happens to those who fade.
-The 'good' tend to group together along with the 'good' gods and goddesses, and the 'bad' ones do the same, but separately.

-Nichelings once had 'bearyena' genes. But all the creatures with them became separated from the rest, and became their own tribe; eventually, all members came to look like the bearyenas we know today. They kill nichelings because they left them behind and let them be separated for so long.

-Nobody's quite sure.

-Some special ones can.
-All nichelings (save for the few that can speak English, too) speak a language called Nichel.

-Strangely, they grow very quickly, almost instantaneously, in the night. (so, first option)
-When a nicheling dies, their flesh disintegrates into dust,leaving only their bones. After a few days, the bones disintegrate too.
-They dig holes in the ground and bury the food there, then dig it up to eat.
-When the sun begins to set, all nichelings get drowsy. Some nichelings go straight to sleep, while others stay up a little longer; however, no nicheling has been able to resist sleep long enough to see what the night is like.

Again, nobody's quite sure.

-To them, each pantheon is real, and reigns over different areas. That's why some nichelings (usually gods and goddesses) are sometimes in other tribes (i.e. playthroughs), though usually they have already died,  but managed to get revived once more.
-Only those who have traveled into other pantheon's areas truly know.

-Yes. Somewhere, far, far away, humans do exist. However, the nichelings they know are domesticated, and not as intelligent as the nichelings in tribes. Most humans see nichelings as pets. There are stories, however, of a group of humans who live in harmony with a tribe of nichelings, along with a group who hunts them.

-When a nicheling reaches the child age, they find a single gem beside them in their nest, sometimes green, sometimes a different color. The children almost immediately have a strong feeling, one telling them to take the gem and push it onto their chest. When they do so, the gem attaches itself to their chest, and never goes away. When the child becomes an teen, they find another gem, and do the same thing; when they reach adulthood, it happens yet again. Thus, in the end, they end up with three gems. Nobody knows where the gems come from.
Also: gems measure how much energy the nicheling has left. When their final gem goes dark, they get so tired that they cannot keep themselves from sleeping on the spot.

I answered a lot of questions way differently than everyone else xD

9 hours ago, CanDLinkZz said:

-How did the ancient genes get almost completely wiped out in the snow? How did those few nichelings survive? What happened there that caused them to be frozen in time? How did nichelings reappear? Why do their genes look so different?

-The Great Freeze: All the snowy lands became very, very cold. Then there was a great tsunami, on every snowy land. Most nichelings were swept away very quickly, and drowned. However, some managed to survive; some had grabbed onto trees, some managed to swim against the currents, some just managed to get swept around in circles util the tsunami died down. However, it was so cold that the water froze. Each survivor was encased in ice, alive but unconscious. The ice kept them seemingly frozen in time. Somehow, all the ice melted away, except for the ice encasing the frozen nichelings. Nobody knows why this great phenomenon happened, or how. 
-The genes are different because many nichelings during the Great Freeze had these genes. Most nichelings with these genes liked to live in cold climates. However, when the Great Freeze happened, most nichelings with these genes died. Those who survived who were not frozen (since they lived in warmer lands) were few. If they found a mate, their genes either never passed on, or did, but died out. Now the only ones with those genes are in ice blocks, were in ice blocks, or descend from a nicheling who was in an ice block.

-Why do nichelings refuse to give birth on something other than a nest? Where did the nests come from? Why are the nests you make not permanent? 

-Mothers are very picky.
-Mothers of old used to be able to make very hardy nests. However, materials ran low, and it took too much plant material to make a nest like this, and they were always moving, anyways. So the mothers make more temporary nests. Now, materials are often abundant, but unfortunately, nicheling mothers have forgotten their ancestors' skill.

• Like 1

I feel like answering! It'll help with the developing of my own Niche mythos. Most of it is just me writing some lore on the fly, so if it's bad or makes no sense in some places, that's probably why. I'm not much of a writer either, so yeah. This is just for fun though

When nichelings die, their souls go to the realm ruled by the nicheling gods. Depending on how they lived, they can go to the land, seas or skies (high mountain peaks, they're not living on clouds) of that realm. They generally have free travel between them, but some places are only accessible by the gods and if the gods feel like it, they can close off the travel ports between them.

Dead nichelings are usually referred to as "ghosts" or "souls". They are basically dead versions of their alive selves. Some ghosts, for unknown reasons (read: because I can't think of a reason), gain special powers and the ability to incarnate in the physical world. They are referred to as "spirits", sometimes "guardians"

In general, all nichelings get to live in the realm of the gods when they die. However, there is a seperate "dark realm" that is only partially controlled by the gods. Spirits and gods can travel there, but rarely do. It's sort of a "prison" realm; if the gods decide that a nicheling really doesn't deserve to live with them, maybe they did some really unforgivable stuff, they are sent there. there they spend a long time in isolation, before being sent through trials for them to prove that they've changed and can leave the dark realm. Most of the time, nichelings who were there get to go to paradise, since most of the gods are unwilling to keep nichelings in the dark realm forever. However, there are some nichelings that never changed and are still there

-In real life, some species can interbreed with each other, like horses and donkeys (creating mules). But this is widely known to be because they share some of the same ancestors, and haven't changed so much that they can't breed with each other anymore. So, why can Nichelings and Bearyenas breed, when they're different species?

All creatures are related to some degree, some more than others. Bearyenas and nichelings are very similar compared to others, so they can breed together. Since bearyenas are seemingly the only species that nichelings can breed with, and any nicheling can have the bearyena genes, regardless of whether they are hybrids or not, some believe that nichelings and bearyenas might be the same species. Others believe it could just be a genetic fluke, and nichelings only developed bearyena genes after making hybrids because they are very genetically malleable

It was created by a primordial entity that basically woke up from a long nap, saw an empty world, decided it needed some life, and created the creatures that now inhabit that world, before going back to sleep. Before it went back to sleep, however, it created gods for every creature that it created to continue to shape the world and guide their people. All creatures have their own set of gods

I think that when depicted as speaking english, they're technically speaking their own language

There are different languages that specific groups will speak, but I also think that there is a "universal" language that almost all nichelings can speak or understand to some degree

I don't think that it's a sudden thing for my nichelings. It's a gradual thing. Nichelings slowly grow over the course of many days, until they eventually become stronger and more energetic

For death, I'm not entirely sure. I like Sky's idea that they disintegrate into dust leaving their bones behind, but I'm not really sure if that's how I want to go with my own. Maybe those decomposers are just really efficient at what they do xD

Food, they bury food and dig it up when they need to eat. Or something. Not 100% on that one either

Night, yeah I like Sky's thing. They can stay up for a bit when the sun goes down, but they all get drowsy and fall asleep eventually. To nichelings, night is just the time when the sun goes down and they go to sleep. And also when the predators wake up and attack and stuff

Nichelings don't become gods; only the children of the gods are gods. However, regular nichelings can gain more powers and become spirits. Exactly why or how it works is unknown (read: I can't think of a reason why it happens lol). Also, a ghost can stay a ghost for some time before being promoted. Spirits can also have their title be changed. I originally had Risi as my spirit of good fortune, but I decided to make her the spirit of protection instead because I think that suits her more

I'm not sure if you're talking about one person having multiple pantheons, or the thing where everyone has their own pantheon. If it's the former, I only have one, so it doesn't apply to me. If it's the latter, I'm going for the Rick Riorden route; everyone's pantheons are true, they just only affect certain places and tribes

After reading some other people's things on this, I really like the idea of humans, or at least a human-like race existing in this universe! They would exist in some far-off land. They don't usually interact with nichelings, though a very long time ago, some nichelings probably wandered to the human lands, and eventually a domestic species was made. Domesticated nichelings would be this universe's dogs, they are used for hunting and companionship. Also, domestic nichelings only ever have one gem

Gems appear on a nicheling's chest when they reach a certain age. They define how old one another are by how many gems are had. Gems are seen as vessels of the soul, a physical representation of their life experiences, their joys and sorrows, their beliefs and values, what makes them an individual. It's believed that a nicheling that loses its gems loses that

Additionally, nichelings can manually change a gem's colour. They're naturally green, but they can change them to signify things. In Adam's tribe, they make the outer two blue when a nicheling has the Home Island immunity. In all tribes, they make the outer two orange when a nicheling has double immunity. I used to make "leaders" have a  yellow middle gem, but I haven't really been doing that much as of late

And that's that! Might've missed something, but whatever

• 2 months later...
On 4/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, Sky said:

IK THIS IS OLD BUT I FEEL THE NEED TO DO THIS

-Nichelings come back from the dead. If they don't, their just spirits floating around that nobody can see, hear, or smell.

-Some sort of higher god or goddess is believed to exist. A god or goddess thats the ruler of the god realm. They are believed to have made the niche world.

-They slowly change over time, they slowly grow gems, too. They have food piles, burry the bodies of the dead, and night is as long as day.

-The same higher god/goddess can choose weather or not a nicheling becomes a god/goddess when they die. Or the other gods take pity upon them and let them join them.

-Gems grow in slowly, but in some tribes, the nichelings have to earn them after they get to two gems. (will make a rp like that l8r)

On 4/10/2020 at 4:31 PM, Sky said:

They exist on the same plane as the gods. It is much easier for non-god spirits to go to the plane of the living. Only the most powerful gods may cross into the plane of the living. 

Nichelings and bearynas used to live on islands rich with prey. Nichelings got spread out near and far, while bearynas remained on the prey-rich isles. Eventually, the bearynas spread too, but it was not enough time to evolve the same traits as the nichelings.

A mysterious force. Commonly known as gravity. And space-dust. And ka-booms. How did those ka-booms happen? We don’t know.

Generally, different tribes speak different languages. Some speak human languages, but others speak other languages. 

It’s gradual aging, and when they die, it’s a corpse. It takes time for it to rot away into just bones.

Different pantheons have different methods. 

Different pantheons wield power only over their believers. Travelers often know of multiple pantheons.

It’s an alternate timeline where Homo Sapiens died like the rest of the humans.

Some tribes have the gems, others do not. Mouse’s tribe (Tribe of the Stars playthrough) has gems, and those are necklaces given to them when they come of age.

• Like 2

On 4/13/2020 at 8:16 AM, CanDLinkZz said:

-What kinds of abilities to gods and goddesses have? Is there anything that goes out of the ‘boundaries’? Are they able to have the same powers? Is there anything they all have in common?

It’s mostly affected by the things they did while alive. And they can share powers. As for what they have, pretty much anything.

• Like 2

• 1 year later...

HELL YEAH!!!!!!!!!

I'm doing this

(it actually depends what kind of niche thing I'm doing but eh)

Well, they either go to the Sky or go back to the mortal world - reincarnate, depending how good they did in their lives. When the bad nichelings reincarnate, they are checked again - either go to the Sky or, if they were bad too in their second life, they are just thrown into a dark pit with actually nothing but darkness. And uh no and yes they are a little bit transparent, some have stars in fur, and gems usually glow like little stars too.

Welllllllll Nebula wanted a little bit more diversity. So she grabbed a early-stage bearyena (called carnivore at the time) and shaped it again. Then the mold actually pretty much looked like Nicheling mold and then the 'carnivores' were able to breed with nichelings. And that's the short version.

Long story short, Nebula made it.

Most of the tribes speak Nicheling, though some have their own language. On the forums their quotes are simply translated, but some learn English.

Explaining most of the cases, time in Niche flows much slower than it seems. For Nichelings, time in the human world flows awfully long. The food storage is just a place where Nichelings come back at the end of the day and eat some food. Those, though, who are too far or too tired to come back have a thing to solve that. Some just find random places in their fur or tails to, you know, just bury food in there.

Nebula chose Kola as the 'first god'. Then she, along with other gods and goddeses joining along the way, decides who becomes a god the same way they check how someone did in their life.

Yes, each pantheon is real. Each one controls a different parrallel universe, and nichelings cannot cross straight to another universe.. Though, rarely happen things called 'pantheon meetings', when gods from different pantheons can meet, have a chat, show off their powers,in Meringue's case, give out brochures to random nichelings, and much more!

In one word, no.

The gems grow as they age. Though when they reach the right age, the gems are still buried deep into their fur. They require a little push to actually develop, otherwise it will lower the nicheling's immunity and will make it harder to survive. The push is done by another nicheling simply by touching gently the young nicheling's chest, or even booping it with their nose. The nicheling might try to push it out themselves, but it requires a lot of energy to do that and still lowers immunity. That explains why a lot of wanderes is sick.