Stray Fawn Community

Multiplayer

Sheireen

I know, no Multiplayer for Niche, it would take too much time to add it, but hear me out!!!
I am not talking about a real multiplayer where you'd have to connect two computers one way or an other.
I am talking about a hot seat multiplayer, basically running two packs/tribes in one game instance and switching between the two

I sadly don't know anything about programming a game but I imagine this to be a lot less work than online or lan multiplayer, if this is still too much work then just ignore it

-one would start at opposite sides of an island
-recources like collected food and nest material are counted seperately
-default gem colors might be different for both? example: P1's Nichelings are born with blue gems until changed and P2 gets orange as default. wanderes still green.
-player 1 gets the first turn to move all his Nichelings, when he ends the day player 2 starts. next round player 2 starts and 1 ends
 ->that way noone would have the privilege to always harvest berrys before the other one has the chance
-you can't breed with members of the other players pack or invite them in, similar like with the adams on homeisland
->exeption: if a banished member wanders around, he is free for the taking

With this multiplayer mode, your creatures wouldn't only have to adapt to a static enviroment but also have to compete against an equally adaptable group and either search it's own niche next to it or fight for dominance over that niche

Problems:
-Island travel might be problematic and would either have to be impossible in that mode or maybe as soon as one travels, the other gets to pick the same number of Nichelings from whereever they stand at that moment
-One could make a unnecessary move just to give that one nasty rouge a move to get to the other players female without them being able to do anything against it...might not be a problem but I'm not sure about that
-I really don't know if this is as relatively simple as I think it is or if it would take lots and lots of time one could spend with 5 other features >_<

///Edit: I just thought about an explenation why the tribes would be active at different times and how about that gets linked to daytime? so one could pretend tribe 1 is dayactive and 2 is nocturnal, changing the light a bit but letting everything else be the same otherwise (and pretend rabbils are active all around the day). of course then the 12211221 rhythm I thought about would make no sense anymore, but if one always gets the days and the other the nights, then let the weather change and berry growth rythm be linked to that, counting for this purpose each players (or if you play both yourself, both tribes) turn as an entire day, but aging wise only day+night=1
for example, at the end of a sunny day, tribe 1 gets to sleep.
as tribe 2 awakens for the night it starts to rain and the berrys grow back, they are thankful fot this, since the night before there was hardly any food to be found because of the drought

Edited by Sheireen
additional idea
  • Like 7

23 replies to this post

On 7/8/2018 at 3:33 AM, Palaeolithic Raccoon said:

I think trying to impose multiplayer on games not intended to have it is a mental illness.

Whaaat? I'm not experienced in the realm of illnesses, but I'm pretty sure that's not a mental illness ya big goofball.

Do you even know what "mental illness" means?

• Like 3

I think combining this with the continent island idea(a huge island with a few different biomes contained within) would work best. travel would def be very hard to make work in multiplayer, which kind of gives bonus points to there just being a single giant island.

I'm sure how it would work with the fact that niche is turn based, esp in the event that two nichelings from rival tribes try to collect the same food. perhaps if that happens(both click the collect button at the same time), the nichelings will be forced to fight for access to food? one of them will have to chase the other away in order to access the food.

although multiplayer would require a LOT of work to implement and such, I think it would actually fit with niche surprisingly well, since real animals compete with members of their own species and with other species! it would also really force the players to specialize and find stable niches, where they dont compete for food and space as much(ex: player 1 eats smelly fruit and is stealthy to avoid predators, player 2 eats fruit from carnivorous plants and has high attack).

rival tribes might even be able to 'diverge', wherein if the two player tribes become different enough they can no longer breed together, becoming different species(although that's a whole other can of worms to think about).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Palaeolithic Raccoon said:

I think trying to impose multiplayer on games not intended to have it is a mental illness.

or maybe some people just want to share the experience of playing a game they love with their friends and so they think of ways that might make it possible
to assume wanting to share your fun with other people is a mental illness does not only show how little you unterstand about human nature but it also makes you a very rude person :/

• Like 1

Intersting idea. You could play this alone as well. I was thinking about the possibility for splitting your tribes (own food stores and stuff) for some time now. I was never quite sure about the interaction between the split groups though if it wasn't multiplayer/ co-op like it would be easy to just have it like in the normale game.

2 hours ago, Bout de Carton said:

I don't know if multiplayer fits Niche's turn by turn style of gameplay. Niche is like a big solo chess game and I think a lot of features wouldn't work in multiplayer. Also the wait you would have to go trough just to play your turn when the other player has a big tribe would be horrible! And some islands are certainly not fit to have that many nichelings.  Not every game needs a multiplayer mode and Niche seems like one of those ^^

of couse it doesn't need one, it is fine just as it is, but i think it would make a fun optional gameplay :D
I am mostly just throwing around with wild ideas that randomly pop up in my head and then think about how to make them possibly work to see what others would think about it ^^

and for the "too many nichelings"-issue, just don't let the other one get too many, steal their food sources so they can't feed everyone and have to lower their numbers, mark your teretory by killing intruding nichelings if need be, this kind of battle is also a constant in natural selection and evolution and that game mode would be a bit different than solo for sure, but it would fit the theme nonetheless

• Like 2

Jeez, you seem to have a ton of great ideas! I know Niche is more of a solo game, but imagine doing this with friends! That'd be soooo cool! Take an upvote! Only downside is it has a few issues, like you said, but oh well!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Just now, Scorpion said:

I think it would be a great idea. Here's my suggestion for how it'd work:

Each player has their own tribe to take care of, and their own little island, but the islands are kinda like an archipelago. Then the nichelings can interact with each other, only if the other player who controls the nicheling allows it. The exception for this rule is attacking other nichlings. There should also be a tribe-naming, so everyone knows who's tribe is who's. Also, the tribes can protect each other, or destroy each other. The last remaining tribe wins. Niche Multiplayer should also be organized in servers. There should be private servers that are invite only, in case you wanna hang out with friends.

That's my opinion/suggestion on this new game mode

with servers would be impossible since the developers already said they would need to change too much of the code to even start working on that
this is why I specifically suggested a hot seat/lokal/one-pc multiplayer  in hopes that would make i easier on them

as I think of it, any island/map can be chosen. so if you want you can have the archiapellago or you could share a jungle

since it would need to be round based, getting permission for every interaction besides attacking would be tedious. I think no breeding between tribes no matter what but any other interaction possible without extra confirmation would be best

Tribe Naming would be nice

sure they could fight each other or help. maybe life in symbiosis where one kind hunts bunnies and the other can pick berries without worries that the bunnies eat them away or something

I don't know if multiplayer fits Niche's turn by turn style of gameplay. Niche is like a big solo chess game and I think a lot of features wouldn't work in multiplayer. Also the wait you would have to go trough just to play your turn when the other player has a big tribe would be horrible! And some islands are certainly not fit to have that many nichelings.  Not every game needs a multiplayer mode and Niche seems like one of those ^^

What if when your tribe moved islands, it wouldnt move the other one unless they accepted to go with, it could give a pop up like: "P2 is moving to the Jungle Island, join them? Yes, no." "Yes= which creatures do you want to take?" "No= Screen leaves" If you said no, p2 will move to a unnocupied (Sorry about spelling) jungle island, or a jungle island with 1 other tribe.  

• Like 1

On 08/05/2018 at 1:32 PM, Jojo said:

Intersting idea. You could play this alone as well. I was thinking about the possibility for splitting your tribes (own food stores and stuff) for some time now. I was never quite sure about the interaction between the split groups though if it wasn't multiplayer/ co-op like it would be easy to just have it like in the normale game.

Separing food stores would be nice tho, imagine the rp possiblities you could have! 

• Like 1

On 5/8/2018 at 4:46 PM, Bout de Carton said:

Of course it would take a long time, just like in civ games where me and my brother play hot seating,  think its definitely worth the wait, and I would also pay for a multiplayer DLC btw, even if it had downsides or less feaures, its the multiplayer competetion of population genetics that makes it cool.

Perhaps each time you switch between the tribes it would be like a new day started? That way new rabbits would spawn, berries would regrow and rain could come. Except the niche lings wouldn't age or anything until after both tribes had gone.

Also, the tribe you aren't playing shouldn't be effected by rouge males, bluebirds etc while you aren't playing them. You can attack the other tribe, but can't mate with them or invite them to join your tribe.

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

good idea but 

suggestion: there will be no wait for your turn all you do is one nichling on p1 takes an action after p1 chooses the nicheling p1 wants to take action then the same with p2 

that way it's the same as normal niche like with wild nichelings

On 10/18/2019 at 12:37 AM, Zixvir said:

good idea but 

suggestion: there will be no wait for your turn all you do is one nichling on p1 takes an action after p1 chooses the nicheling p1 wants to take action then the same with p2 

that way it's the same as normal niche like with wild nichelings

that wouldn't quite work if the groups are differently sized. What would you do if p1 has 4 Nichelings and p2 has 15? should p1 move the same ones more than once a day or should p2 go through all of his remaining at once after they switches for the first 4? the second method would be
an unfair advantage for p2 and the first an even worse advantage for p1

I think it would be a great idea. Here's my suggestion for how it'd work:

Each player has their own tribe to take care of, and their own little island, but the islands are kinda like an archipelago. Then the nichelings can interact with each other, only if the other player who controls the nicheling allows it. The exception for this rule is attacking other nichlings. There should also be a tribe-naming, so everyone knows who's tribe is who's. Also, the tribes can protect each other, or destroy each other. The last remaining tribe wins. Niche Multiplayer should also be organized in servers. There should be private servers that are invite only, in case you wanna hang out with friends.

That's my opinion/suggestion on this new game mode

11 hours ago, Sheireen said:

that wouldn't quite work if the groups are differently sized. What would you do if p1 has 4 Nichelings and p2 has 15? should p1 move the same ones more than once a day or should p2 go through all of his remaining at once after they switches for the first 4? the second method would be
an unfair advantage for p2 and the first an even worse advantage for p1

it would work like normal niche so your basically saying the game should be easier