Stray Fawn Community

Chameleon Body

Sheireen

Hey :)

I was thinking about a Body Type that would overwrite the colors of a creature like Toxic Body does, but instead of standing out with intimidating warning colors, it would help the Nichelings to blend in perfectly with their enviroment: the Chameleon Body

A chameleon changes his colors based on what they see to blend in so I suggest the colors would change depending on what biom-tile they are standing on.
The pattern would still be the same (a spotted one would still be spotted, a striped striped...) but also change in color depending on the biom. I made a picture for illustration

5 times the same nicheling in different enviroments (I forgot the beach and the water but you hopefully get what I mean)5af494ecaadf9_ChamelionBody.thumb.png.81d65819d39c2f3b65bc89c19088db92.png

I'd like if the body could be made to look slightly scaly instead of fluffy ^-^

It would give a lot of camouflage but has next to no other benefits, maybe heat resistance +1 or 2 but cold resistance -1 or 2 if anything

Let me know what you think :D

• Like 13
  • Thanks 1

20 replies to this post

8 hours ago, Snow53211 said:

Maybe you can only unlock it after getting all the body types?

Or maybe after mutating each colour once? I miss that from old Niche

• Like 3

Okay, it took a while cuz it's my work week and most of my time has been spent at work, but when not at work I played with these sketches xD So here's my edited art!

Tree: Tree2.png.a451002aab355355ac59457623cee227.png

Grassland: Grassland2.png.fa248289f9f6e2cf8f6b507ff3b83f92.png

Savannah: Savannah2.png.e300f0974e593cdf20f5700455ef628b.png

Home Island: 5afbebbdc36b3_HomeIsland2.png.e43fab4ef774ed1c56166600afae81a6.png

Beach: Beach2.png.c6c67dc4c576dab523e8c7b39862d196.png

Underwater: Water2.png.eaa039d45ddca9379b2a1386d6a90678.png

Swamp: Swamp2.png.99893268aa786bcae06543802056238b.png

Jungle: Jungle2.png.0302a32dd6705f574c7f3cae6ef4b57b.png

Mountain: Mountain2.png.f45e92423fdc9529d1b14d1ca6456e31.png

Snow: Snow2.png.9444fa2c75e873d7529c0c42ccce4859.png

I actually really like this instead of the textured stuff I tried to do before <3 Thanks for helping me!

• Like 10

I agree with @heyitsgeorgie it seems pretty overpowered. Chameleons only change their colour when they need to, so perhaps instead of the body automatically changing colour to match the biome and staying like that all the time there could be an option over the nicheling (like with the purr snout) to blend into surroundings. This would mean that the nicheling wouldn't have perfect camouflage all the time, which seems a bit much, but would be able to camouflage when necessary 

I also don't think the added heat resistance makes any sense, why would the chameleon body add any to this ability?

• Like 1

On ‎5‎/‎10‎/‎2018 at 2:00 PM, Sheireen said:

The pattern would still be the same (a spotted one would still be spotted, a striped striped...) but also change in color depending on the biome

(I forgot the beach and the water but you hopefully get what I mean)
I'd like if the body could be made to look slightly scaly instead of fluffy ^-^

It would give a lot of camouflage but has next to no other benefits, maybe heat resistance +1 or 2 but cold resistance -1 or 2
Let me know what you think :D

Hey there! Cool idea! I love the thought of a chameleon body! However, I'm not too much a can of the heat/cold thing; maybe it's just plain and simple camouflage and nothing else? Like how Toxic Body is plain and simple toxicity/poisonresistance and nothing else? I think they would be within the same vein of body type, y'know?

Also may I make some fan art of this including being in the water and on the beach and in a tree? I think they'd have like a sky color when in a tree, dont'cha think?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Sheireen said:

Of course!! Draw whatever you like ^-^

sky color when on a tree, yes possibly, though wouldn't leaf colored make more sense? Idk but draw it anyway if you like

and yeah, the heat thing was just an afterthought since most reptiles are cold blodded and do better in warm regions, but it is unnecessary. Color change is the only important feature about this idea

I'm anticipating your pictures of this :D

Okay, I finished the pictures! I know you mentioned you wanted scales like a reptile body, and I tried to edit together some scales for the body, but I personally had some difficulties, so I've got one picture with the scales and all the rest just have a 'rough' texture to them. xD Hope you don't mind! I also added in a 'tree' version, and I tried to make it look like mostly leaves with some blue mixed in like seeing the sky through the leaves. Not sure how well it went, but I tried lol

Scales: Scales.png.cc931f4e8bbad5cceec5c6038443eb47.png
Tree: Tree.png.0683bd0fd5361716498dfbf481be49d4.png
Grassland: Grassland.png.091d5545f64d2664ab4a8dd95e3c67e8.png
Savannah: Savannah.png.5161edfbd560e20a8ad92f3ef5e57d0b.png
Home Island: 5af7d4afc2723_HomeIsland.png.f4e15ff31209361c59ac296a4b04a59e.png
Beach: Beach.png.6bea022b86cb31c710dfdc4bb78b060b.png
Underwater: Water.png.9a330ba0d5028cc32d1063b24b703fb0.png
Swamp: Swamp.png.0ffe6bcabcd1a997d275e3e4fd0bb506.png
Jungle: Jungle.png.15172ff163b8e211fe6a18e53378a55a.png
Mountain: Mountain.png.5c3e20080d6186d4b11f1f2c69694ab5.png
Snow: Snow.png.3217d340fc0b6d0a634e65ba51f9235c.png

Just a note: The body I drew is sleek and kinda bean-shaped because I noticed that, when a chameleon is 'sitting up' or stretching toward something, it's actually kinda thin, whereas in most of the pictures you see on google, they're sitting down on all fours and look hunch-backed and chubby. Since Nichelings are sitting up, I went with a thinner look :) 

• Like 6

@MysticTopaz They look awesome :D

but a bit too textured for ingame I think but as fanart/concept art they are great!

and I didn't mean for them to be covered in scales all over, just a hint of scales at the breast like the strands of fur we get on normal body without having it everywhere, the rest would be filled out by imagination ^^

and for the leaf/sky one, I like it but again, it is too textured for ingame I think, ingame they are all solid colored. so maybe the sky blue could be the overwrite color for the pattern? I made an example how a spotted one would then look when sitting on a tree, but very simplistic whithout texture, just color and outlines as we get ingame :)

ree sky color.png

• Like 5

On ‎5‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 12:08 AM, Lilytuft said:

Or maybe after mutating each colour once? I miss that from old Niche

I LOVE THIS!!! I remember having to unlock the fur and eye colors in old niche xD I miss it, too, but not too much since there's so many other things to unlock instead. Do you mean for it to unlock after mutating just all the fur colors, or all the eye colors, too? Maybe mutating all the fur colors gets you the chameleon body while mutating all the eye colors gets you chameleon eyes that are +1 more sight than normal eyesight?

21 minutes ago, MysticTopaz said:

I'm not too much a can of the heat/cold thing; maybe it's just plain and simple camouflage and nothing else? Like how Toxic Body is plain and simple toxicity/poisonresistance and nothing else? I think they would be within the same vein of body type, y'know?

Also may I make some fan art of this including being in the water and on the beach and in a tree? I think they'd have like a sky color when in a tree, dont'cha think?

Of course!! Draw whatever you like ^-^

sky color when on a tree, yes possibly, though wouldn't leaf colored make more sense? Idk but draw it anyway if you like

and yeah, the heat thing was just an afterthought since most reptiles are cold blodded and do better in warm regions, but it is unnecessary. Color change is the only important feature about this idea

I'm anticipating your pictures of this :D

12 hours ago, MysticTopaz said:

I LOVE THIS!!! I remember having to unlock the fur and eye colors in old niche xD I miss it, too, but not too much since there's so many other things to unlock instead. Do you mean for it to unlock after mutating just all the fur colors, or all the eye colors, too? Maybe mutating all the fur colors gets you the chameleon body while mutating all the eye colors gets you chameleon eyes that are +1 more sight than normal eyesight?

Ooo a great idea!

2 hours ago, Sheireen said:

@MysticTopaz They look awesome :D

but a bit too textured for ingame I think but as fanart/concept art they are great!

and I didn't mean for them to be covered in scales all over, just a hint of scales at the breast like the strands of fur we get on normal body without having it everywhere, the rest would be filled out by imagination ^^

and for the leaf/sky one, I like it but again, it is too textured for ingame I think, ingame they are all solid colored. so maybe the sky blue could be the overwrite color for the pattern? I made an example how a spotted one would then look when sitting on a tree, but very simplistic whithout texture, just color and outlines as we get ingame :)

Ooohhh I get what you're saying now! xD Here, let me make some edits using spots, stripes, and mask! I'll post them up when I finish!

• Like 1

On Monday, December 24, 2018 at 3:30 PM, heyitsgeorgie said:

oooh this is a good idea too! maybe the camoflauge could only last for a few days, and then you would have to wait another day to camoflauge again? it may not be realistic because chameleons are, well, overpowered, but it would work for the game to balance it! It would be so cool to see an animation of the creature's fur slowly turning the colour of the biome!

The entire camouflage thing is unrealistic. Chameleons are naturally well camouflaged, and actually use their ability to change colour for communicating with other chameleons. In real life, a chameleon is about as over powered as any other lizard when it comes to camouflage

Having to wait another day to change colour again doesn't seem necessary, the fact that you'd need to use up a turn would be enough in my opinion