Stray Fawn Community

An upgrade to weapons that cause them not to damage ore.

Lurkily

For a mining ship, it'd be nice to be able to have a weapon that is specialized for safe use around ore; -damage, +digging, 0 damage to ore.  That, plus the fact that it occupies an upgrade slot, should keep it a useful but very specialized upgrade.

• Like 2

13 replies to this post

Really good suggestions. I personally like the idea of having a upgrade which prevents weapons from damaging resource. Not sure if we're having an upgrade which allows resource gathering, because we have special code and logic for that and I'm not sure how easy this is to implement in the weapon system.

It would be cool though, to have a particle weapon which you spray around and it automatically eats into the earth like acid and then harvests resource :) But I think this is not feasible at the moment :)

7 hours ago, Markus said:

It would be cool though, to have a particle weapon which you spray around and it automatically eats into the earth like acid and then harvests resource :) But I think this is not feasible at the moment :)

Sure it is.  The effects of particle gravity, particle bounce, and particle lifetime, plus 'do not damage ore', should be very much like this.  I haven't experimented with the bounce/sticky part of the research tree yet, but based on its behavior in the upgrade preview thingy, I think that'll do fine.

• Like 2

Particle bounce is comparable with laser reflect, i think it's looking great but i don't know if it really does more damage/digging.

Maybe the miner from the alpha can be upgraded to also dig, so a few of those will mine away the useless "mineral" (aka planet) and if some valuable resources show up on the way they are sent to the storage.

• Like 1

There's a thought.  Equip miners on a ship like a weapon or a module, and have them beeline for resources and, with some inefficiency involved, burrow through any terrain that gets in their way.

• Like 1

What about an ammo type that treats digging power as 2 points less (minimum 0) when used against ore? If you have the weapon have a low enough digging power, it can slowly destroy terrain, but leave ore unharmed. Think excavation brush over pickaxe.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Marker Mage said:

What about an ammo type that treats digging power as 2 points less (minimum 0) when used against ore? If you have the weapon have a low enough digging power, it can slowly destroy terrain, but leave ore unharmed. Think excavation brush over pickaxe.

I have no idea what an excavation brush is, but I will happily take a damage type that's basically kinetic, but ineffective versus ore.  Ideally, though, especially with the possibility of terrain status effects in the future, I'd like to be able to potentially use those status effects to help excavate ore.

9 hours ago, Lurkily said:

I have no idea what an excavation brush is...

I may be calling it by the wrong term. Think of someone at an archaeological dig site who's found something, dropped his pickaxe, and takes out a brush to start removing dirt/dust/whatever from the thing he's found. Just a tool to carefully remove the stuff you don't want from around the thing that you do want, but it would be a nightmare to use it for serious digging.

5 hours ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

Great idea especially for auto completors

Exactly.  And right now I have two sets of mining weapons; a bunch of lasers with digging upgrades, and then one or two with NO digging upgrades, just to clear ore without actually destroying ore.