Stray Fawn Community

Make factories only use the build cost up to the next un-printed factory block.

omegahax0r

Right now if you have multiple factory blocks chained together, the first factory block will take all the blocks ahead of it to calculate its build time even if the factorys block in front of it spawn un-printed. This makes large segmented designs unfeasible as you take forever to regenerate your initial segment. It would be good to have factories only calculate to the next un-printed factory block.

6 replies to this post

This seems like a fair point and a minor oversight, but it's not. Let's say you have 20 factory blocks chained together, but set to start unprinted.

Normally to print the 1st factory block (that can print another 18, the "Mother block") you have to wait until [19 factories] is charged. For the 19th block to print the 20th factory block (which doesn't spawn anything) you have to wait until (1 factory) is charged.

To spawn a set of ten, takes (10 cycles) to spawn 1 lone useless factory, and (190 cycles) to spawn 10 Mother blocks.

By your suggestion, the 10 Mother blocks would also only take 10 cycles - the same as the useless factory.

They are clearly different value.

Right now spawning a line of 20 factories set to un-printed takes 20+19+18+17+16+15... (etc) cycles. All i want to do is have each factory only take the time for the blocks it is actually printing. if i have 20 factories chained together set to printed i can print every single one from the first factory in 20 cycles. It'd still take the same net amount of time to spawn any given object but you would be able to do it in manageable segments instead of huge pieces.

For the first process, anyway.

The argument against this is "spawn potential".

Each of the blocks has a really high spawn potential, even if it's only trying to spawn one block. That's the accumulation of an unseen but measurable resource, and that carries a penalty. Right now that penalty is the same as the full factorial spawn cost, which seems really strict - but understand that if you tried to run 4 cycles of this with a universal setting of "unprinted" they would still double each time.

So in just 4 cycles, resulting in 16 factory blocks of types

20, 19,  19, 19, 19, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 18, 17, 17, 17, 17, 16

And they would fully retain this potential to double in number for the next sixteen cycles as well.

Want to take a stab at 2^20? You'd have spawned one MILLION factory blocks.

In 20 Factory cycles.

There's no way this is fair. Now that I've finished running the numbers on this change, I officially refute the suggestion.

Factories are super OP as the are. Aspactialy that you can keep all shared logic on your core. What I'd see more of a suggestion is to make factories use resources from the object they are connected to. Like you have to wait for x seconds for elements to produce, but then you have to fill all tanks and batteries. Right now it's super easy to make a swarming drone. My design with ^2 gain every 9 seconds. Game starts to lagg pretty quicly.

image.png.2fc8b02d0784106d83abb1668fd17fa2.png

I would argue with the rest of the others. Exponential growth is not a thing that is to be challenged, and actually is SUPER exponential. Exponential can be seen as an infinite polynomial with the nth term divided by n factorial. However, the wait (whose inverse is the coefficient of the new polynomial) grows only one instead of the 362,880x it does for just the 10th term. Go look it up, interesting stuff. I would actually reccommend a NERF for factories spawning factories:

Every factory has a base count of 1 second/part. If a factory has been attached, all the parts attached to that would double the cooldown for those parts on the original factory. If a third factory is attached to the second factory, the second factory would receive the double and the first factory would receive TRIPLE that cooldown of that factory, or 6x total. If that factory would be attached to the first factory.

On 5/27/2020 at 3:54 AM, Hizenhawer said:

Factories are super OP as the are. Aspactialy that you can keep all shared logic on your core. What I'd see more of a suggestion is to make factories use resources from the object they are connected to. Like you have to wait for x seconds for elements to produce, but then you have to fill all tanks and batteries. Right now it's super easy to make a swarming drone. My design with ^2 gain every 9 seconds. Game starts to lagg pretty quicly.

image.png.2fc8b02d0784106d83abb1668fd17fa2.png

In this example, the factory-producer's cooldown would be 4 (the buffer, VTOL, fuel tank, and factory)+10 (the spike, VTOL, fuel tank, and two thrusters)*2 (for being the factory, or 14. 

4 hours ago, garr890354839 said:

I would argue with the rest of the others. Exponential growth is not a thing that is to be challenged, and actually is SUPER exponential. Exponential can be seen as an infinite polynomial with the nth term divided by n factorial. However, the wait (whose inverse is the coefficient of the new polynomial) grows only one instead of the 362,880x it does for just the 10th term. Go look it up, interesting stuff. I would actually reccommend a NERF for factories spawning factories:

Every factory has a base count of 1 second/part. If a factory has been attached, all the parts attached to that would double the cooldown for those parts on the original factory. If a third factory is attached to the second factory, the second factory would receive the double and the first factory would receive TRIPLE that cooldown of that factory, or 6x total. If that factory would be attached to the first factory.

In this example, the factory-producer's cooldown would be 4 (the buffer, VTOL, fuel tank, and factory)+10 (the spike, VTOL, fuel tank, and two thrusters)*2 (for being the factory, or 14. 

That's actually a really good work around, as it would limit the spawn potential of factories while still allowing segmented designs to be feasible.