Stray Fawn Community

free camera movement for programmer

Roblin

The programmer cannot control their drone at all, so there is no reason to have the camera follow it.

Right now if you, as the programmer, want to be able to see how different parts of your drone is doing (if for example you have detached subdrones) you would need a system of cameras that rotate being activated or have a rather sophisticated setup that makes drones sense their surrounding to determine whether the player is interested in watching it at that time, and hopefully 2 drones dont decide they want your attention at the same time because then you would be watching the midpoint betwen them, often seeing nothing at all.

why not just let the programmer move the camera freely since they can't control anything anyway?

maybe have the camera follow the drone core/camera controllers by default but the programmer can detach their camera by the press of a button to make it free to control.

• Like 2

5 replies to this post

Having implemented factory drones with POI triggered camera I can say it is very cool when it works.

It is also very annoying when you get rapidly triggered flippy-cam, or stuck in the middle syndrome.

Even in regular play having a next/prev camera button would be more convenient than manual activation.

Since they can't impact play why not give everyone including programmers some standard cam switch keybinds?

Honestly I sort of support free camera in this one instance, and sort of not.

Part of the challenge of programmer is to have no idea what's going on unless you program your machines to tell you. No interaction includes no meaningful feedback. If you want to grasp what is going on, your machines need to broadcast that to you. Through lights, sounds, signals, or possibly moving your camera.

On the other hand, this is a game, and games should be playable. A feature oversight to cause inconvenience won't necessarily make you a better programmer. 

• Like 1

On 5/25/2020 at 10:16 AM, kitsu.eb said:

Having implemented factory drones with POI triggered camera I can say it is very cool when it works.

It is also very annoying when you get rapidly triggered flippy-cam, or stuck in the middle syndrome.

Even in regular play having a next/prev camera button would be more convenient than manual activation.

Since they can't impact play why not give everyone including programmers some standard cam switch keybinds?

Actually they can affect gameplay on non-programer games (having to control drones without seeing them). I think sticking to programer mode for this feature would be preferable.