Stray Fawn Community

Cool Nimbatus GIFs

Philo

• 2 months later...

Beat the Ball of Steel sumo fair and square! Can't wait to see if other sumo's are added, or maybe even the ability to fight other players' sumos

There are 3 other sumos in the game. And we are working on drone sharing now :)

Got an incredible EMP rocket shotgun from what I think was an epic reward.

94 dmg per projectile, 5 projectiles per shot, 1.04 attack speed.

94*5/1.04 = 450 DPS.

But get this: it's got big explosion, heat seeking and reflective. Heat seeking + reflective is probably the most OP thing ever.

As seen, six of them essentially decimate everything.

Edit: Anyone know how to embed video/gifs?

https://imgur.com/JuLtoQr

https://imgur.com/uFwUrYs

Self Balancing, Mouse Controlled Drone.

Left Mouse - Boost in current direction

TAB - Toggle Shields

1 - Toggle Weapons Set 1

2 - Toggle Weapons Set 2

3 - Toggle Weapons Set 1

Mouse-Controlled-Self-Balancing.gif

This is a platform used to dig or traverse the surface of a planet without having control issues or directional issues with weapon setups.

Working on making this paired with surface drones to seek and destroy while the main part can be used to focus on the fun parts, killing the core or being support.

Let me know what you think, Thanks!

A walker!  It works!  Sort of.  It walks up walls, too!  (You may have noticed, all my autonomous drones must be able navigate upside-down.)

The gif makes it look like it falls over - in reality, the directional sensor detected the blocked, and tipped it over to walk up the wall.  shortly after, it made it up this blockage and over to the other side.

Shortly after that, though, one of the logic sensors got blown off.  The legs operate on an impulse at a delay of .1 and a duration of .1 - running at half speed, it's stable, but it tends to slip a lot at full steam.  Other leg configurations are more stable, but I have trouble getting them to climb.

The trick to climbing, it seems, is the sensor configuration.  You need it to sense behind it easily - a long beam - so that when it climbs over a cliff it rights itself, instead of dragging on the ground behind rocket feet until it explodes.    It had to sense in front of its feet, to keep from falling forward from the oversensitive rear sensor.  Then it needs a front sensor for the big hills, and extra thrusters tied to that sensor.  Tipping back will trigger the back sensor, and to climb, it has to overcome that.

naceszY.gif

A sumo drone using magnets to stick to the enemy and then combining jump engines with repel magnets:

GlumHopefulApe-size_restricted.gif

And a spiderweb version for those enemies that try to dodge in early fights:

GlisteningAptBonobo-size_restricted.gif

Images are clickable.

The shields are not necessary, but I was playing with pulsing shields so that they use less energy and could not resist putting some on my sumo drone.

It lacks thrust though, won't work at all against Ball of steel for instance (but that one is a bit special as the key is to dodge it and let it go out of the ring).

I've built another drone with Arenas in mind, and planets to a lower extent. I'm kinda happy with it because it has only 97 parts, no satellite for remote fuel and electricity (I think it's a bit broken so I try to avoid it), and still a lot of features without between an overkill assault machine. It can follow terrain, climb or descend walls, attack enemies when in range, dig, hover stationary, land (including walls), repel rockets, and maintain/correct orientation to always face upwards (except when climbing/descending). It has toggles for roam/land/shields/magnets, and it can also be used manually (and flown at higher altitudes) when the roam toggle is off.

Excavator mode when sensors are set to attack terrain (or when weapons are fired manually):

YawningImpeccableDuckling-size_restricted.gif

Roamer mode (fully autonomous):

KindlyLoathsomeBongo-size_restricted.gif

Lander mode + magnets and shield toggled off (the drone now has landing legs for smoother landing, not shown on this picture):

RigidBriefAmethystinepython-size_restricted.gif

Wall landing:

BlackandwhiteConcreteDromedary-size_restricted.gif

Rocket repelling:

BelatedRelievedHammerheadbird-size_restricted.gif

Roamer mode when enemies in range (autonomous; weapons are divided between upper left, upper right, lower left and lower right and fire only according to the location of the enemy):

CommonOrangeCoelacanth-size_restricted.gif

Weapons can also be fired manually, and manual input on thrusters is possible as well. The drone is not perfect, but not too bad for 97 parts and no external energy! The number of parts could be decreased easily by removing solar panels or batteries, but I wanted it to be good at sustaining waves on enemies for a long time.

Controls:

Alpha 1 - Toggle magnets on/off

Alpha 2 - Toggle upper shields on/off

Alpha 3 - Toggle lower shield on/off (useful to save energy when landed)

Alpha 4 - Toggle over on/off (toggle off means landing)

Insert - Roam to the left

Page up - Roam to the right

A/D - Lower thrusters (use both simultaneously to fly upwards, A to turn left, D to turn right)

Z/C - Side thrusters

Q/E - Upper thrusters (use both simultaneously to fly downwards, Q to lean left, E to lean right)

W - Jump boosters (use in conjunction to Alpha 4 to return to hover mode after a landing on a high gravity planet)

Minus - Fire to upper left

Plus - Fire to upper right

Left bracket - Fire to lower left side

Right bracket - Fire to lower right

P/O - Change the synchronization of the rotation of sensors and weapons

Removed with the latest update:

Mouse 1 - Fire upper EMP shotguns (those will fire automatically when an enemy is detected)

Mouse 0 - Fire lower EMP shotguns (those are only manual)

Now it is better to disable magnets for digging (using Leftbracket and Rightbracket), as it allows rockets to go straight down instead of deviating them to the sides.

Edit: I improved it with better weapons and a better placement of magnets and shields, weapons are not divided in four groups instead of two since they are more effective and there is no need for extra spread anymore. The drone is now much more robust. However, it now has 97 parts due to the extra weapons, which annoys me (the smaller the better!):

VengefulTerrificIrishwaterspaniel-size_restricted.gifEasygoingShamefulGrayling-size_restricted.gif

1-_Def_auto_land_roam.nimbatusdrone

Magnets are to repel projectiles?

I've worked on a lot of roamers, and I keep trying to get the right balance that can navigate any terrain and stick to it.  My two tests of a roamer's ability is to first have it circumnavigate the text chamber unassisted, and to second build a sub-bot that drills a very wide hole straight to the core, and have the roamer circle the world, dive into the hole in the core, then circumnavigate the interior and climb out the other side of the hole.

I find that gravity sensors almost never help the second test.  Most of my ships have to be fully sensor-based in order to be really autonomous without risking getting stuck in weird terrain or circumstances.

And . . . now I'm having thoughts about motorized hinges and vectored thrust.  Hmm.  Thank you.

Exactly, I use the magnets to repel rockets, I think it does not work too bad although I couldn't push the radius too far for the side magnets:

BelatedRelievedHammerheadbird-size_restricted.gif

I need to work on drones that split when they arrive on a planet now, with a digger and a roamer, I haven't done it yet but you just reminded me I should!

Remember I mentioned I was going to play with vectored thrust?

This is small and unstable (probably in part because of low mass,) but it works, it freaking works.  Thruster rotation looks herky-jerky because I use the impulse logic to slow down rotation so I don't get constant sway with the gravity sensors.  0.2s delay, 0.1s rotation.  Less responsive leveling out, but it works better.

Now I just have to figure out how to make it work without gravity sensors, so that it can navigate walls and ceilings.

The drone is attached.  Hit tab to engage automatic roaming.  Be aware if it comes up against a cliff, if can and will go into an uncontrollable spin.

Guns face backwards because it's fast, and I want it outrunning the explosive units when they detonate.

https://i.imgur.com/Qu40xrQ.gif

Qu40xrQ.gif

Example.nimbatusdrone