Stray Fawn Community

Hybrid Suggestions

Redknight910

So, just some hybrid ideas for various critters. Let's get into it.

Liota: Cheetah/lion, found on savannah

Liota Tail, longer and thinner than medium tail, giving +1 speed, +1 stealth, +1 heat res

Liota Legs, +3 speed, +1heat res

Liota Snout, short, whiskered, strong voice, +2 strength, +1heat resistance

Liota Eyes, feline slitted, +3 sight.

Lean body, claws, round ears, yellow fur

Armagolin: Armadillo/Pangolin, found on jungle

Armagolin Paw, has longest claws of all paws, adds +1 digging, +1 cracking, +1 strength

Armagolin Body, has that classic armadillo shell with scaly protrusions from the shoulders, +2 defence

Armagolin Snout, has a long mouth like a pangolin, +1 digging, +3 smelling

Short-sighted eyes, Hind legs, medium ears, no tail, black fur

Oxoat: Ox/Goat, found on winter lands

Oxoat Horns, straight horns that angle up at the ends, +1 strength

Oxoat Body, thick furry coat, +2 strength, +2 cold res, -1 heat res

Oxoat Legs, hooved feet, +1 strength, +1 speed, +1 cold res

Oxoat tail, has a puffball at the end, +1 distasteful scent

These are what came to mind, might add more if I think of any.

• Like 2

I really these hybrid suggestions wold make great additions to Niche. What if there was also a creature exclusive to the swamp as well? It could a mixure of a long haired car (like a maincoon), and a orchid praying mantis. It would be called somrthing like prayingcoon. It could possibly have the following mutatable genes:

Compond eyes- +2 sight

Silky Body- +2 Cold Resistence +2 Stelth

Scythe Claw- +3 (or 4) Strength

Silky Tail- +1 Cold Resistence +1 Stelth

• Like 1

I like the current ideas, but here's a way to tweak them that seems a little more in line:

(Also I added fur colors since Bearyenas pass on the Moss Brown fur color, as well as behaviors since I think it might be important for the developers to have an idea of how they might behave in-game)

Liotah: Cheetah/lion

Habitat: Savannah

Behavior: Same as bearyenas. You have to kill a mom and tame her male cub if you want to breed with one.

Long Tail, longer and thinner than medium tail, +1 speed, +1 stealth, +1 heat resistance

Liotah Legs, + 3 speed, +1 heat resistance

Liotah Snout, short, whiskered, strong voice, and +2 strength

Sharp Eyes, feline slitted, +3 sight.

Liotah Hind Legs, +2 speed, +1 heat resistance

Lean body, round ears, fur color yellow

A07C7B718CEF6626730DD9909DADA320CFE39F4A

Armangolin: Armadillo/Pangolin

Habitat: Jungle

Behavior: Solitary, they wander aimlessly searching for food. They are like bunnels, able to move when you do, and will run away when you approach. There are no baby Armangolins in the wild. You can tame an adult male if you chase it down and feed it. From there it will no longer run away from you, but it will still roam around digging up roots so you'll have to chase it down to breed with it.

Armangolin Paw, has longest claws of all paws, adds +1 digging, +1 cracking and +1 strength

Armangolin Body, has that classic armadillo shell with scaly protrusions from the shoulders, +2 defense

Armangolin Snout, has a long mouth like a pangolin, +1 digging, +1 defense, +3 smelling, *

Armangolin Ears, +1 hearing, +1 defense

Armangolin Hind legs, +1 digging

Armangolin Tail, +1 defense

Short sighted eyes, fur color red

0AF5037DB99558302D95680B8204B8F5338EBD28

*This actually kind of matches one of the heads I suggested! I called it "Sticky Tongue" but if it was part of a hybrid set that's cool, too. My Sticky Tongue idea included the ability to gather from insect swarms, which, btw, would make sense with the Armangolin, since it probably likes eating insects. Here's a link to my suggestion topic that has the head pictures in it: http://strayfawnstudio.com/forum/index.php?topic=783.0

Oxoat: Ox/Goat

Habitat: Winter Biome (The snowy one that doesn't have greenery like the Mountain Biome)

Behavior: They travel in groups of six, sometimes with a baby boy in the center that you can tame and breed with. They remain neutral until you get close if there is no baby, but if there is a baby they are always aggressive.

Oxoat Horns, straight horns that angle up at the ends, +1 strength

Oxoat Body, thick furry coat, +2 strength, +2 cold resistance, -1 Heat resistance

Oxoat Legs, hooved feet, +1 strength, +1 speed, +1 cold resistance

Oxoat tail, has a puffball at the end, +1 distasteful scent

Oxoat Hind Legs, +1 strength, +1 speed, +1 cold resistance

Oxoat Ears, floppy and fluffy, +2 hearing, +1 cold resistance

Oxoat Face, goaty, +1 gathering

Normal eyes, fur color black

E75E15C4190C8559505EE322AB60972F0C33A246

Manticoon: Praying Mantis/Maine Coon

Habitat: Mountain Biome (the one that has grass and trees and bushes but also has snow)(I chose this instead of swamp because it makes more sense given the two creatures the Manticoon is made of)

Behavior: Same as Bearyenas. You have to kill a mom and tame her male baby if you want to breed with one.

Antennae (Horn Slot), +2 smelling

Compond eyes, +2 sight

Silky Body, +2 Cold Resistance, -1 Heat Resistance, +1 Swimming

Scythe Claw, +2 Strength, +1 speed

Silky Tail, +2 Cold Resistance, -1 Heat Resistance, +1 Swimming

Silky Hind Legs, +1 Cold Resistance, +1 Swimming, and, most importantly, +1 speed in snow

Inner Ears, looks like there are no ears, +2 hearing

Short Snout, fur color brown

3E5D19C4B36E4EAF3A3EA8EF6EC93B0CE9ED894E

And here are my additions to the growing list!

Bearowl: Bear/Owl

Habitat: Grass Mingle (That one island that has Grassland, Jungle, Swamp, and Savannah tiles)

Behavior: They choose a favorite tree and stay near it. This includes acorn trees and smelly fruit trees. Otherwise they're similar to Bearyenas; males are found alone and females with their babies, the babies being tamable for breeding and always male.

Bearowl Face, round with an owl beak, +1 strength, +2 smelling

Farsighted Eyes, huge and round; can't see things right in front of them, but can see +3 after that.

Bearowl Body, only a little smaller than Balance Bear bodies, +3 strength, +1 stealth

Bearowl Claws, same position as the Balance Bear's downward-facing arm with similar appearance, +2 strength

Bearowl Hind Legs, talons, +1 strength, +1 speed

Bearowl Tail, owl feathers, just for looks. Maybe when the wing update comes out it could assist flying?

Like Bearyenahs, Bearowls pass on moss brown fur

C34C71F600AA9EC1B52CC6A658D0DA12AEE1B03F

Tigle: Tiger/Turtle

Habitat: Anywhere, but especially on the Home Island

Behavior: Solitary hunters, they go after bigger prey like Bearyenas, Bearowls, and Walrusdeer, but will attack nichelings if they get the chance. There are no baby Tigles in the wild. Males can't be tamed, but adult females can. You then have the difficult task of corralling one onto a nest after she's been mated with, the resulting offspring being yours to control. The female will follow her baby around until it is an adult, then she will start wandering again.

Sharp Eyes, feline slitted, +3 sight

Tigle Head, tiger face, +1 strength, +1 cracking, loud voice

Tigle Body, turtle shell with fluffy tiger under body, +2 defense

Tigle Claw, looks like bearyena claw but without claws, +2 stealth, +1 strength

Tigle Hind Legs, looks like bearyena hind legs but without claws, +2 stealth, +1 strength

Long Tail, longer and thinner than medium tail, +1 speed, +1 stealth, +1 heat resistance

Round ears, instead of a coat color it passes on the stripes pattern.

2B537F7FD82977FD92DE01177FB6721BBB9EF95C

Crark: Crocodile/Shark

Habitat: The water and the beach tiles, as well as swamps

Behavior: They stay underwater close to the shore, waiting for nichelings, bunnels, and fish to get too close so they can eat them. Females are the only ones found on the beach, and they will have a male baby on the beach next to them you can tame once the mother is dead. The tamed male will wander into the water and proceed to have the same behavior as all males, but won't attack your nichelings. This does however mean that in order to breed with one you'll have to do a little swimming.

Crark Jaws, crocky mouth with sharky head shape, +2 strength, +1 smelling, +1 underwater breathing

Crark Body, sharky and crocky at the same time, +2 defense, +1 swimming, +1 underwater breathing

Crark Tail, sharky, +1 defense, +1 swimming

Crark Legs, crocky, +1 strength, +1 defense

Crark Hind Legs, crocky, +1 strength, +1 defense

Normal eyes, beige fur

BFE66950E5F2B9CAEA2243D70CC2C9A60E1211CB

If you read everything, thanks a bunch, I appreciate it! I'll be drawing sketches of all of the above-mentioned ideas, so once I finish all of that I'll update this post with pictures!

• Like 3

Nice additions. And in hind sight I should have at least added the biome I expected them to be placed in. Might update and edit a few things.

A note on yours. With the bearowl eyes, I assume you mean the first tiles in front of them would be dark? Or just unable to see anything in them? Because I don't think that would work with the current way the movement system works.

I like the tigle, both for the aestetic and because the name sounds cute. You also put in a sharp eyes gene, then at the bottom added normal eyes, just a typo I noticed.

The crark sounds cool, and I like the idea of it continueing to act as it would normally, requiring you to actually track down the bugger when you needed it for breeding.

And I am awaiting your art with anticipation.

Thank you!  ^^ Yeah, I meant Sharp Eyes; thanks for catching that typo! I'm working on them in the order they're listed, top to bottom, so the first that will be finished will be the Liotah. Question, though: should they all have manes, or should there be sexual dimorphism?

With the bearowl eyes, I assume you mean the first tiles in front of them would be dark? Or just unable to see anything in them? Because I don't think that would work with the current way the movement system works.

The movement system allows blind nichelings to move where there are lit up areas and interact with bushes/acorns when you use the hearing or smelling modes. Thus I figure it's fine if the Farsighted Eyes make it so that the first tiles around your nicheling are dark while the three after that are lit up. They would still be able to smell and hear things right in front of them, so, for example, if you see a bunnel far away and want to pounce on it, you could still jump on top of it, then when it moves one step away into the dark zone, you switch to smelling or hearing mode to attack and gather it. <3

Okay, last two suggestions, I swear! xD Tomorrow is the end of all of this anyways so I'm just throwing these out here for fun mostly.

Orcolf: Orca/Wolf

Habitat: The water and the beach tiles, especially in the Archipelago.

Behavior: They stay underwater all over the place, be it shallow or deep, and the females will sometimes have a male baby next to them you can tame once the mother is dead. The tamed male will wander into the water and proceed to have the same behavior as all males, but won't attack your nichelings. This does however mean that in order to breed with one you'll have to do a little swimming. They can come onto the beach, but they only do so in order to chase prey that jumps out of the water. They don't go further than the beach tiles.

Orcolf Head, orca mouth with wolfy head shape and orca smoothness, +1 strength, +1 smelling, +1 underwater breathing

Slick Ears, looks like medium ears but totally rounded and smooth without the 'inner ear dip' of the medium ears, +2 hearing, +1 swimming, -1 heat resistence

Orcolf Body, wolfy body but smooth like an orca, about the same size as Big Body, +1 defense, +1 swimming, +1 underwater breathing, +1 cold resistence, -1 heat resistence

Orcolf Tail, orca shape, +1 strength, +1 swimming

Orcolf Legs, wolfy, +2 speed, +1 swimming

Orcolf Hind Legs, Meant to be orca-like and wolf-like at the same time, they ended up coming out seal-like, lol, +speed, +2 swimming

Normal eyes, gives Mask pattern instead of a fur color.

?interpolation=lanczos-none&output-format=jpeg&output-quality=95&fit=inside%7C*%3A0

Rhinocereal: Rhinoceros/Leopard Seal

Habitat: The water and the beach tiles, especially in colder climates.

Behavior: They can be found underwater all over the place, be it shallow or deep, but you will tend to find them basking in the sun on the beach. Females will sometimes have a male baby next to them you can tame once the mother is dead. The tamed male will wander around the beach and shallow water closest to your tribe, and might even scare fish toward your nichelings who may be sitting at the water's edge.

Rhinocereal Head, mostly seal-like but with rhino horns, +1 strength, +2 smelling, and temporary water breathing at the same amount of time as the water breathing plants.

Inner Ears, looks like there are no ears, +2 hearing,

Rhinocereal Body, smooth seal body, +1 defense, +1 swimming, +1 cold resistance, -1 heat resistance, and temporary water breathing at the same amount of time as the water breathing plants.

Rhinocereal Legs, definitely rhino-like, +2 speed

Rhinocereal Tail, seal shape, cancels out hind legs the way Spiky Body cancels out tails, +1 strength, +2 swimming, +1 speed

Normal eyes, and I don't know what fur color or pattern it should pass on to babies. Ideas, anyone?

4A076AD14E63B245729A39B8A28042E69CC05B6B

• Like 1

Nice finale on this suggestion. I like the look of the orcolf, and it's amazing how happy the headshot's of it look, compared to the quite threatening full body pic.

The rinocereal (probably not part of a good breakfast, but who knows?) could pass on one of the brown colours, since a lot of seals are brown.

And one extra on my part as well.

Rabat: Rat/Bat, found in swamp/jungle

Rabat Fangs, sharp fanged mouth based on vampire bat, causes bleeding, +2 strength

Rabat Tail, long, thin tail, uses pattern colour, +1 speed

Rabat wings, bat arms, +1 picking, +1 speed, (If/when added, +1 flight)

Rabat ears, Bat-like ears that are slightly more rounded, +4 hearing

Nice finale on this suggestion. I like the look of the orcolf, and it's amazing how happy the headshot's of it look, compared to the quite threatening full body pic.

The rinocereal (probably not part of a good breakfast, but who knows?) could pass on one of the brown colours, since a lot of seals are brown.

And one extra on my part as well.

Rabat: Rat/Bat, found in swamp/jungle

Rabat Fangs, sharp fanged mouth based on vampire bat, causes bleeding, +2 strength

Rabat Tail, long, thin tail, uses pattern colour, +1 speed

Rabat wings, bat arms, +1 picking, +1 speed, (If/when added, +1 flight)

Rabat ears, Bat-like ears that are slightly more rounded, +4 hearing

Thank you! xD I'm willing to believe the rhinocereal thinks /we're/ part of a good breakfast lol! I do like the idea of it passing on the brown fur, though. And I love the Orcolf so much because of it's duality- freaking adorable, yet menacing~<3 I might want a plushy of it now. It looks ridiculously squeezable and happy for cuddles. I shall call it WetPuppy and it will be mine and it will be my WetPuppy.

I love the Rabat! If I have the time before the end of all of this I'll see if I can sketch it out, but my apologies if I can't! ^u^ Either way, it sounds like a great addition!

One thing I can lament, though: I've wanted a spider-something predator, not to mate with, but to have as a big scary thing. I imagined two of the giant trees in the jungle about three hexagons apart, and in those three hexagons of space between the trees there connects a giant web. Trying to move through the space between the trees results in your nicheling getting stuck in the web. If it has a high strength, it can break itself free, but if not- I'll get to that in a second. Here's the thing: the giant spider monster wouldn't differentiate between nichelings and carnivores, so bearyenas and apes could get stuck in the web, too, and as far as I know none of them have strengths above 5 points. Thus, when the day is passed, the spider descends from the trees, getting closer and closer to whatever is stuck in the web. Once there, it will spin the web even further, making it impossible for even nichelings of 12 strength to break free, where it will then poison its prey and sit there, waiting for it to die. In the case of bearyenas and apes, as soon as the carnivore dies the meat it drops is picked up by the spider, so you don't get a chance to rush in and steal the kill. The spider wouldn't come down off the web because it'd be far too big, taking up a ring of six hexagons with its size. Thing is, I wanted it to be cute; something that, even though it's basically an even more unbeatable beast than the apes, more akin to a carnivorous plant in gameplay, you can almost kinda forgive. Like the real life spiders who wear water droplets as hats <3