Stray Fawn Community

Chances of Cooperative Play?

Titan777

My guess is that the multiplayer-over-network-part would be quite a bunch of code that needs time that is better spent on other things right now.

But i like the idea of local coop if it's easier to accomplish :)

I'd like to see multiplayer too. I guess everyone knows its a lot of work and for a rather new game its a big gamble. Having a game without content, yet a multiplayer doesn't sell. But a game with a lot of content and no multiplayer looses its long term motivation rather fast. What I mean is please don't say never to online multiplayer.  :)

In my opinion investing time to develop a local coop has next to none impact on the gaming market. Look at Factorio, if that game supports only single player or local coop, I bet it would cut the player base down to 1/10th.

Also using TCP for the multiplayer connection and a snapshot system for transferring world states and updates, should be enough to support Nimbatus, as it is in 2d and the movements are easily interpolatable. I know there is a lot more to this, but I see many games and developers starting with UDP and their own network protocol (Factorio had peer to peer connections  :o ) that they burn time and money.

I hope I don't sound arrogant. Have a nice day and greetings from Germany.

We don't have plans for online multiplayer, aside from drone sharing and competitions using fully autonomous drones.

Local co-op may be a good idea :)

Offline cooperation with others' drones could be nice as well without the need of all the netplay code. We could imagine 2 vs 2 team sumo fights, and people/friends could organize each other on Discord/Reddit/their own community to build complementary drones and organise tournaments, all autonomous like current sumo mode. This could even enable "support" or "fence" drones that keep the more offensive team mate on the ring.

Asynch coop challenges would be awesome.

I'm imagining a 2-on-3 battle arena, where you have to fight three identical foes,  with a partner randomly pulled from a pool of other people's battle drones, having to modify your own drone to work effectively with your partner.

Netplay can be touch.  Generally accepted wisdom is that adding real-time multiplayer generally triples development time.