Stray Fawn Community

QOL suggestions for Edit mode

Kabouik

• Hey, just a few things I miss in Edit mode (some may have been mentioned or may already be on to-do list):

1. Toggle option to overlay Input/Output keys on each module, on the green/red lights for logic parts and just in the middle of the part for thrusters, weapons and sensors (this would make editing of complex drones a LOT easier, and would also display the main controls of any drone).
    2. Toggle option to overlay dashed lines between parts that are set with Inputs or Outputs in common (functional relationships), although suggestion 1 would make much easier to visualize already.
    3. Toggle to show part hitbox, as suggested by GalladeGuy in another thread.
    4. List of history changes (Ctrl+Z/Ctrl+Y can be hard to follow when many changes have been made).
    5. Snapshot feature that allows to do some changes but revert to a previous state at any time without duplicating save files or losing history (like in raw image processing).
    6. Symmetry feature. It's already there, I missed it: G/F.
    7. Filtering on weapons with checkbox for available upgrades or damage and projectile types.
    8. Option to allow digging in the test room, without procedural generation to avoid loading time, but just borders made of fully uniform terrain instead.
    9. Multiple selection (useful for dragging sets of parts that are not attached together yet and see their current connections).
    10. Additional setting on the proximity sensor: "Anything, including own drone".
    11. Show "flexibility" of parts in their info (some seem to be more sturdy than others for attachments). Or does it just depend on their mass?
    12. Allow assembling beyond the green range, but gray out the parts that are too far away and don't spawn them when testing the drone. This would allow creating sub-assemblies to put together at a later point but using all space available on the screens to keep things tidy. Variations of sub-assemblies could also be made without deleting the original ones and without duplicating drones, which would help comparing them. Example of the benefits for the latter situation: one could have a saved drone with sub-assembly-1 attached in range (therefore functional and spawned when playing the drone), and sub-assembly-2 out of range, but similar to sub-assembly-1 except it has a slightly different configuration (like thrusters adapted to higher gravity, or attack terrain instead of enemies with a more appropriate set of weapons). Now that same saved drone could be used in a range of situations by just enabling the correct sub-assembly (by putting it in range and moving the replaced one out of the green range) and without duplicating saved files (the number of saves can get messy at some point, and it's kind of not adapted to small changes since you cannot preview them on the thumbnail).

I may add some other ideas later as they come.

I must say I love the editor though, these are just QOL ideas. I've spent more than 15 hours in the demo in just a few days, 99% of that in the editor; reminds me of KSP in that ratio. That is a good sign that the game is going to be awesome!