Stray Fawn Community

Adam and Eve Customization Menu for Sandbox Mode

~SarcasticCinder~

Introduction:

I propose a feature in which the players can choose to customize Adam and Eve in sandbox mode. The screen would have five key parts, described below. The player would be able to randomize the genes or fine-tune them, including the unexpressed genes as well. Attached is a rough outline of what I think the menu could look like, as well as a description of each feature labeled on the image.

Nicheling Name:

A simple display of the name of the nicheling the player is editing, inside of a dropdown menu that they can use to switch the nicheling they are editing.

Nicheling Display:

Pretty self-explanatory, just a display of the model of the nicheling the player is currently editing. The player would be able to view the model as they can in the family tree.

Randomization Button, Confirmation Button:

The player can choose to randomize all genes, only unexpressed genes, or only expressed genes. The confirmation button will trigger a pop-up that says something like "Are you sure that your nichelings are customized to your liking?" then the player can choose "Yes, save customization and exit", "Discard changes and exit" (which will randomize the nichelings as normal), or "No, go back to customization menu".

Gene Selection Menu:

A menu of all the genes. The menu would have a scrollbar and the option for the genes to be sorted by category or name at the top. Hovering over the gene's icon will enable the player to see its name. Clicking the gene icon will display it on the model, and double-clicking the gene icon will open a pop-up. This pop-up will have the options to add the gene as an expressed gene for its gene slot, add it as an unexpressed gene, or cancel. It is up for discussion whether it would be better to have all genes usable, or only those the player has unlocked.

Gene Description:

This menu will have the in-game description of the gene, as well as the stat increases and decreases it gives.

Summary:

Overall, I think this would be a very useful feature for the game for players that want certain genes in their starter nichelings.

NicheCustomizationMenuLayout.png.6bcb151d932b9bb1d36ace60352e6bff.png

• Like 1

I would love this as a feature.  Someone else mentioned having all the genes you already unlocked available from game to game.

This mode would be great for people interested in challenges and their own story scenarios. It also can provide players a chance to plan out species they may want to make in story mode.

I think to keep Story Mode's appeal strong, Sandbox mode should not provide the home island immunity gene, and thus you cannot bond with Adam's family in Sandbox mode, as things are now. I think overall one should not be able to choose what immunity genes their creature gains either, but the game should ensure the immunity genes do not end up the same between Adam and Eve.

YESYESYES

The only thing I would do differently is maybe limit the gene pool a bit for higher difficulty modes. I think it would be a bit unfair to make an ultimate warrior beast right from the start. Maybe unlock genes as you do now but keep them for your next sandbox? Like say you got antlers in a round of sandbox, then  it would be possible to give Nichelings in a new save file antlers right at the start.

Maybe a point system? Like, "basic" genes would cost nothing, but you have limited points to select "improvements" with "better" genes costing more. Also, genes with special requirements wouldn't be usable from the start, i.e. hybrid/prehistoric genes.

I also second the idea of being able to "save" a nicheling. I was actually thinking of that idea myself, but wanted to see if anyone else had thought of it first...

I personally was going to suggest something strikingly similar to this idea myself. I personally like the options so far of story mode and sandbox mode but "sandbox mode" doesn't truly feel like a sandbox mode to me. The only customization options we have are the island difficulty and type of island (which I still feel needs more options). I hate having to constantly restart a new island just to get a desirable or fun Adam & Eve pairing, and I wish there were desert, artic, and rainforest options. Overall I feel like we should be allowed more customization of Adam & Eve and more options.