Stray Fawn Community

Stasis - making animals (temporarily) unchanging

gyppygirl2021

Kind of an odd idea I came up with while playing the game, though it's probably not a very good one.

Basically: make it so that you can place your animals in "stasis", so that they won't age until you decide to free them from it. However, since this is one of those abilities that might be a bit broken, it needs to be balanced somehow.

Balancing ideas include: animals that are in stasis can still be attacked by predators, only a limited number of animals can be in stasis at a time (probably a very small number). Maybe it takes a few turns/days to end stasis?

I figure it would be useful for breeding pairs and the like, or if you have a favorite nicheling that isn't very useful but you want to keep it around for show.

Maybe have it like a hibernation thing? Where the animal essentially 'goes to sleep' for a period of time.  I think you'd have to make a nest or some such for the hibernation to start, then when the nest degrades it takes a day or two to wake up?

I think it'd be plausible, even if hibernation doesn't actually stop aging. Also be useful for when you have nichelings that have nothing to do in a tribe.

keep in mind this is a genetics game. how are you going to explain a creature being put into stasis in the wild? freezing them in an ice block?

The funny thing is that I was actually thinking along the lines of cold sleep, although that would probably only work in cold biomes.

Maybe have it like a hibernation thing? Where the animal essentially 'goes to sleep' for a period of time.  I think you'd have to make a nest or some such for the hibernation to start, then when the nest degrades it takes a day or two to wake up?

I think it'd be plausible, even if hibernation doesn't actually stop aging. Also be useful for when you have nichelings that have nothing to do in a tribe.

I like the sound of this as well!

I love the idea. I have an idea to go with the hibernation suggestion. To balance it out, perhaps the days leading up to the hibernation the hicheling will eat 2-3 food per day instead of the usual 1? This way you have to balance keeping a nicheling for genes and having a good supply of food.