Stray Fawn Community

Pelican Beak

Krystallix

Most people know about pelicans, and how they use their beaks to help them catch fish. What if this was a thing in Niche?

Anyways, a Pelican Beak gene would look a lot like the Platypus Beak, except with a bit smaller length and the beak drops down (like an actual pelican beak). It would be a water gene, used for fishing. If wanted, it can add some cold or heat resistance. The stats it would give would be +1 Smelling (I've heard pelicans can smell), and +2 Fishing.

I was thinking that Nichelings could wait for fish, then either dip their beak into water and scoop the fish into their beak, or dive underwater and quickly gather fish. That is my idea if you wondered how they could catch fish (this explanation includes winged Nichelings, since they technically can't fly well like a pelican after diving. I assume Nichelings don't have the oil that makes this possible for some birds.)

I hope this would be a good gene. Some have suggested a similar gene before, but our suggestions are not exactly the same.

1 reply to this post

For those who think carrying things using the beak would be a good addition: The beak is too small for even newborn Nichelings, along with Bearyena cubs. There is also not a food storage feature, so carrying food would be a useless bit of extra coding (unless perhaps carrying food to a Nicheling heals them a day? I don't know.). Carrying Crabbits (wheeze whatever they are called) or the Rabbils (I have terrible memory) may be possible, but carrying the Rabbils would be fairly useless, and carrying Crabbits would also be very useless (except for moving them, which would take a full day's actions, if not longer.)