Stray Fawn Community

[Redundant] Tags: Global vs. Local

Zixtis (Zixt)

Edit: Not required; Logic Connector and Logic Splitter provide this functionality.  D'oh!

------------

Having the ability to define a tag as global vs local to a subset of parts (defined as being any contiguous pieces not linked through a decoupler or factory part) would make automation of multiple child drones more workable.

Case Study:

Mothership contains a button tagged "Always On" as Global for all child drones to use to thrust right, continuously, in order to circumnavigate the planet. The mothership automatically pumps out the child drones as soon as the factory parts are ready. The child drones would be designed with TNT, set to explode within proximity of an enemy.

Each child drone has a Local "Tilted Left",  "Tilted Right", and "Ground Too Close" signal used to keep the sub-drone level and prevent it from getting stuck in pits.

The current setup (unless I'm missing a group feature or similar) would be triggered by ANY of the child drones and cause ALL sub-drones using the signal to tilt wackily or fly upwards endlessly.

Alternative option:

Add a logic layer to the view and having signals wired using cables strung between pieces from "Input", "Input2", and "Output" connectors, so we can visually see which sensors and logic are triggering which part actions. This would also inherently limit signals to within a sub-drone, preventing cross-talk between child drones.

Edited by Zixtis (Zixt)
Requested functionality exists through blocks.
  • Like 1

3 replies to this post

Why worry about global at all?  Make it all local, we have a wireless transmitter.  When I was trying to make a subdrone that only engaged thrust when you disconnected it (and it was useless if it disconnected immediately) I was dismayed to learn that I couldn't reliably detect when it was connected, especially if I had more than one copy of it flying around.

How would that tell a drone whether it's still connected to the core?

The interrupter will interrupt the signal while it's connected, too.  There is no way to indicate that two drones once were part of the same structure, but at this moment, are not.

You could use a switch activated by disconnecting them, but if you disconnect from a factory, then anything new you build will think it's also disconnected, until you toggle it.  Then all the disconnected drones will shut down, thinking they're attached to the core again.