Stray Fawn Community

Advanced boolean logic

The_Dark_Jumper

As of now we have 8 Logic gates being nearly identical and simply using up space in the item-bar / making it harder to find what you're looking for.

I think those 8 gates should be condensed into a single gate looking somewhat like this:

JYOiGzqeQiSi-qCjBO55Wg.png

This would be capable of replacing if , not , or , nor , and , nand , xor and xnor -gates. Further options I'd like to see would be:

• Inversion of all Inputs and Outputs by using a checkbox (which has been already requested)
  • "monostable output" which would offer the options: "rising edge" , "falling edge" and "dual edge" (I know this can be done with logic gates but it's ridiculous to need 2 additional logic gates just to get a short pulse)

Another new Logic Block I'd like to see would be a delay, a block that activates/deactivates x seconds after the input, as of now you have to use 6 logic gates to achieve that (with the changes mentioned above 5, but that is still the same amount you'd need to create a buffer gate)

Example: ndceMhNBTwS2WeneY972NA.png

3 replies to this post

It's a good idea; but the idea of a universal block may not be as intuitive to all players as just using the right tool for the right job.  Perhaps, instead, as all logic blocks are currently 2x1, we can make the selection of logic blocks a double row, and pair similar gates next to each other? (AND/OR, BUFFER/REVERSE BUFFER, etc.)

I also would like inversion of inputs.  (IF A becoming NOT A.)  This alone would obsolete a number of gates with limited (but sometimes necessary) application, which can simplify things for new players.   Also, it introduces a simple NOT gate.  I know it's easy enough to make, but in any programming language I've used, IF != A is just as simple as IF == A.  There's no reason we should have to figure out how to jerry-rig a NOT gate. 

Nimbatus needs to hold onto players who are not natural programmers if it doesn't want to fall into a niche market, and figuring out how to devise things that are standard to most programming environments is not how to hold on to them.

EDIT: Sorry, I was talking about a NOT gate, but what is actually missing is AND NOT.  IF A==True AND B == False is what's a simple test in any language, and what we shouldn't have to devise - it's no more complex than an AND gate.

5 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

I also would like inversion of inputs.  (IF A becoming NOT A.)  This alone would obsolete a number of gates with limited (but sometimes necessary) application, which can simplify things for new players.   Also, it introduces a simple NOT gate.  I know it's easy enough to make, but in any programming language I've used, IF != A is just as simple as IF == A.  There's no reason we should have to figure out how to jerry-rig a NOT gate. 

Nimbatus needs to hold onto players who are not natural programmers if it doesn't want to fall into a niche market, and figuring out how to devise things that are standard to most programming environments is not how to hold on to them.

While we're on the topic of programming, I feel like I need to emphasize on the "inputs <[2]>" part. I think logic-gates should have variable amounts of inputs as "if(a && b && c ... z)" is something every programming language I'm somewhat familiar with is capable of. (also it annoys me to have my logic flow like this: "if a&&b activate c | if c&&d activate e" - c is completely unnecessary. You wouldn't write "if(a&&b){ if(c){ output } }" either.)

I agree; but when we go too deep down that rabbit hole, we begin losing the more casual players, and Nimbatus NEEDS to stay accessible, to be successful.  I think they're going to lose too many players, if they lose non-programmers.

That said, SOME gates can benefit from extra inputs without much added confusion - AND and OR are good examples.  Anybody can understand A OR B OR C.  

I would not use a selection number, though.  I'd just have an input list, and the last entry be a '+' that you can add an input with.  Prefix each input with a trash can icon, to remove it.

• Like 1