Stray Fawn Community

Increase physics dampening on ships

Ian S

As requested, I'm cutting up my other post into individual sections for easier commenting.

The dampening on the ship physics needs to be increased a little. I had a ship design that would instantly vibrate (not tear itself, but actually vibrate) itself to pieces as soon as some engines turned on. The problem was that even though the engines and/or logic sections would immediately be destroyed, the ship vibrations at times would keep increasing like there was some sort of precision problem.

1 reply to this post

A lot of times this means there's an overlap somewhere.  I also have this problem with hinges that have many parts attached.  If there's a single part with many attachments, try attaching some of those to a different parent, and see if it helps.  I usually don't have this problem with builds that don't have overlaps, lots of parts connected at extreme ranges just hanging in space, or a lot of parts attached to something mechanical, like a hinge.

I agree that physics does need some attention; we shouldn't have to redesign to accommodate the limitations of the game engine.