Stray Fawn Community

New Genes 014: Seal (Imagine the babies)

Biogamer

The seal is well known for being an underwater hunter, so the genes based off these animals would be great. First would be a fur gene, baby seal fur. It would unlock in a cold biome and would give a bonus 2 cold resistance and -1 heat resistance, however once the nicheling had reached adulthood the effects would were off like how it does with real seals. Next the paw seal flippers, which would be obtained by by swimming 70 times and would give +1 swimming in rivers and lakes but +2 in oceans. Next would be the blubber body, which would be obtained by spending 30 days in a cold biome. The effect would be +3 cold resistance and +1 defence (for obvious reasons). Next would be seal hind legs, which would be obtained by swimming 70 times and would provide +1 speed, +2 swimming in rivers and lakes but doubled in oceans. Of course the flippers effects are like this because seals aren't really good swimmers in rivers and so forth.

Hope this was interesting, Sincerely Biogamer

download.jpg

3 replies to this post

I don't like the baby seal fur particularly, and I can't see flippers working for forelimbs. They could be made longer to fit the nichelings body but I think that would probably look silly. The hindlegs would be a cool alternative for webbed hindlegs, but doubling the stats in saltwater doesn't seem necessary. I like the blubber body, but I would like it to have +2 cold resistance and +2 defense instead seeing as there are a few ways to get cold resistance and only 1 (?) way to get defense

The reason why the saltwater is to add some more difference between salt and fresh water. I mean seals aren't adapted to swimming in rivers. As for the blubbers defence that's for the blubber acts like a pretty meh shield when conflict occurs.

2 hours ago, Biogamer said:

The reason why the saltwater is to add some more difference between salt and fresh water. I mean seals aren't adapted to swimming in rivers. As for the blubbers defence that's for the blubber acts like a pretty meh shield when conflict occurs.

While most seals live in saltwater, there is no reason they couldn't swim in freshwater. The Baikal seal lives exclusively in freshwater and there are also some subspecies and colonies of other pinnipeds that live in freshwater. Any seal would be perfectly capable of swimming in freshwater, it just so happens that they are otherwise adapted to live at sea. There is no need to change the stats depending on the water

Also, I've just realised that seals don't even have hindlegs?

• Like 1