Stray Fawn Community

wire vs wireless programming

ker2x

TL;DR : make wireless optional, allow wire programming instead of events propagation.

Here is my problem and a proposal below : 

• dealing with wireless event propagation is a nightmare when using the factory
  • yes, you can use splitter but when you're printing multiple drone you pretty much have to attach every part to the splitter, that come with problems. And if you have multiple splitter it's even more difficult.
  • programming large logic gate using tag & key is really difficult

Proposal : 

• i will call the current way wireless of programming "legacy" and my proposal "new"
  • have a core option to switch between "legacy" and "new", with legacy enabled by default, in order to not break backward compatibility.
  • In other word : "make wireless optional"
  • in the "new" way there is no wireless propagation and no "implicit" propagation
  • each part have to be connected with wire, with input(s) and output(s) wires
  • that mean : no event, no keypress. it's all about wire directly connected to parts
  • It would only work in fully autonomous mode, so, maybe, add some part that detect keypress so you can wire a keypress to a gate/part in order to have it works in "manual" command.

Simple, efficient, doesn't break old build.

It would mean to develop a whole new programming system in the game, which is a pain for sure. BUT it would allow us to build much more complex stuff, even computers and cpu, just like minecraft & co.

2 replies to this post

yes ker2x it would definitively be a great improvement. actually it's really difficult to program fully autonomous drone. the limitation of key is not the least problem.

Also i'd like to say that it would be nice to have a "programmable" logic part for drone. which could contain logical circuit. actually a drone become ridiculously massive and voluminous just because of his "electronics". not to mention that's it's absolutely not credible as a processor of 1mm2 ca actually contain million of basic logical gate.