Stray Fawn Community

Mushroom Swamp Island

Broom Wielder

Yes I know there's not going to be any more development BUT I think my idea is rather cool and I'd like to share.

A new island that is mostly a swampy isle but with the addition of mushrooms scattered about!

The Mushrooms

Some mushrooms are small, about the size of a nichelings paw, others can get to be about as large as a tree stump and act similar. The small ones can be collected as a new food source and tend to pop up after something has died in a spot wether it be a plant or animal. But be careful when collecting them, as some are poisonous!

Either a certain mushroom has a safe and poisonous variant, or there are quite a few distinct looks to them. With the latter, your nichelings (or you since you control them) will have to learn which are safe to collect through trial and error your first run in with them.

New Fauna

Little gecko like lizards (name is a WIP) roam the island, providing a unique animal to the environment. Maybe they have some sort of symbiotic relationship going on with some of the mushrooms around and can't feasibly exist anywhere else without them. They're small things, giving either 3 or 4 food upon death, almost or not quite the same as a rabill. They can climb up surfaces and therefore get on trees or can hide under a large mushroom cap

Mushroom Tail

A new specific island exclusive gene has a chance to come with the creatures on the island! The mushroom tail. The mushroom tail gives +1 tail drop, a new stat which, if struck with a rather harmful blow from an animal, will drop instead of taking that damage. But the sudden lack of a tail leaves the balance of the nicheling a bit worse for wear and gives an effect such as -1 speed or perhaps -1 maneuverability if that can be coded. If not feasible -1 stealth will do.

To regrow the tail your nicheling will gain the regrowing status effect. While that is active, one energy slot will be taken up for a few days. Really not helpful with a creature experiencing the ill effects of certain climates already. The effect is given one day after the tail is dropped, giving your creature ample opportunity to either run away or fight back.

No sleep sickness, but...

The sleep sickness doesn't plague these islands oddly enough... It almost makes you wonder, what could be in its place, if anything?

Well the gecko lizards are here to bring the new sickness to this variant of swamp. Turns out, there's a mushroom around that can take them over. The lizards are a host for the mushrooms and become aggressive, but it's not their bite that you should be worried about! If a nicheling sticks around an infected gecko too long it'll spread to them too.

I'm still not sure on the exact effects on the mushroom sickness but so far my only idea is that it will practically turn that nicheling into a wanderer for a couple of days.

The whole way infection spreads from lizard to nicheling is up for debate, as are the effects too. So, any thoughts or things to add? Did I make any mistakes?

• Like 1
  • Love 1

3 replies to this post

Also adding on to say that I forgot to mention that maybe the mushroom tail could have a 50/50 chance on regrowing as poisonous. Maybe it could be a dynamic thing where if it is poisonous it adds poison resistance, or if not there isn't any. Alternatively, it could provide poison resistance only when regrowing and instead of the 50/50 chance for the poisonous buff, it would be poisonous if your nicheling collects some poison berries.

Not sure, still trying to develop the idea

• Like 2

On 5/18/2023 at 6:05 AM, BirbMonstwo said:

Seems cool! I’d love to see a tail that can be dropped. Would prefer if it was the ‘gecko tail’, though.

I think that's totally fair. I myself do think a gecko tail would look very cute on nichelings.

• Like 1