Stray Fawn Community

Is That Another Person?! - In Depth Multiplayer Mode

ThatKat

Hello, hello!

To begin, I’d like to note that I understand there are at least 2 other threads on this topic, however, mine will be going into much greater depth of how a Multiplayer Mode for Niche could exist.

I would like to address there WILL be a lot- if not a few challenges that will be faced, such as how many people can play together at once? How will movement work? And I have to say, my ideas may NOT work and will take some insight on it.

To start, movement on turns is a very large aspect of Niche, which could cause a Multiplayer Mode to not exist. However, there is a variety of ways this could work. One of which could be each person takes turns on making an action, though the problem with this is if someone takes an incredibly long time to move or take an action, the other may get very bored. Another option is to allow each player to take a movement whenever they want, so Player A can do something the same time as Player B, similar to how a Rogue Male or Lone Nicheling would.

Personally, I enjoy the idea of Player A and Player B taking turns at the same time, at their own pace. I understand some problems could occur, such as if you want to attack another Nicheling of theirs, for whatever reason unknown. A way to solve this type of action could be a Player has their own tribe which their Nichelings belong to. To start a war and be allowed to attack, you have to declare war first before any wars may occur.

Now that all of this is out of the way, I truly hope you consider my ideas and insight of how this could be put together. A Multiplayer Mode of Niche would make mine and many others’ experiences much more enjoyable than it already has been throughout the year of development. Please add on with anything you think would improve this!

I think the idea of simultaneous turns is a good one for multiplayer, and the concept of starting a type of 'combat mode' where turns become more chess style as someone described it in another thread, would cut a good balance there.

A question I have is, what do you think about interactions between tribes? I think things like sharing food/nesting material, breeding and such should require a confirmation from the other player to actually happen.

Thank you for your ideas! I personally think sharing resources could be done through alliances. A Nicheling Alpha could perhaps make their way to an Alpha of another tribe, then offer some nesting materials or a mate with new genes in return for food, etc.

I also agree with breeding requiring confirmation, so a pop up on that player's screen would appear and ask if they would agree to the breeding, along with comparing genes of that creature to their own.