Stray Fawn Community

Additional Upgrade Slots

Dargin

The ability to purchase additional upgrade slots for weapons. On either a per-weapon basis (with material refunding if the weapon is deleted) or on a total tree basis, where every weapon benefits from the purchase.

Possibly also additional energy use per upgrade slot used, eg a laser with three damage upgrades with use more energy than a laser with only one damage upgrade. energy upgrade effects are calculated after upgrade slot effects.

2 replies to this post

I like the idea. But i see it differently. I think there should be an option to build a 1x1, 1x2, 1x3, 2x2, 2x3, and so on size weapons, where depending on their size they would have more slots, but same stats as their smallest version. Then the size would be meaningful.

I'm not sure about purchasing more upgrade slots.  Being able to add EVERY fire-speed and projectile-count upgrade would be silly.  I do think, however, that weapon downgrades are too harsh in occupying an upgrade slot.  I think weapon downgrades should CREATE an upgrade slot, so that tailoring your weapon for a specific use -- thus making it less useful for any other thing - doesn't prevent you from using upgrades for that purpose, too.

For instance, I wanted a terrain-eating flamer.  I added particle gravity, particle bounce, and particle lifetime, to try and create a carpet of particles that would eat into terrain.  Of course, this begs for digging upgrades, too, but I'm out of slots.  Take out gravity, or bounce, and the effect doesn't work.  Take out lifetime, and the effect is almost fully negated, as well.