Stray Fawn Community

My requests for a suite of situational-awareness improvements.

Lurkily

Let's face it; the core of Nimbatus isn't fancy guns and stuff.  Those help, but they're the tools that the system uses, not the system - they're not a core mechanic.  Nimbatus shines in sensors and logic, in creations that intelligently respond to the user's needs, or even act autonomously.  Drones need logic, and they need awareness of their surroundings to enable the kinds of things it's best at. 

I have found a number of limitations, and want to list the things I think are absolutely crucial in enabling truly creative, intelligent, and responsive drones.

• Named blocks as targets for directional sensors.  Like tags, this would allow you to give a block a name, and use that name for other sensors.  A directional sensor would have a 'named part' option, where it would point to the drone part you indicate.
  • GPS sensor.  Operating similarly to a directional sensor, this would allow a user to designate a position by how many degrees around the planet it is; 0 or 360 would be the start point, and 180 would be the opposite side of the planet.  This would allow you to make satellites that would travel to a specific station, or drones that could detect when they are close to the hopper, and alter their behavior without having to rely on object detection.
  • Distance sensor.  I think we need to be able to keep station a distance from an object.  I have a number of ideas that require drones to find their own way.  Weaponry sub-ships that fly to me, magnet on, and then when I'm done, release themselves and fly home.  Subships that act as armor, hovering around me and intercepting enemies and enemy fire, and so on.  To keep station like this, they need a sense of distance.  Not just 'is something there, is it not,' but an actual awareness.  The altimeter already does this with a planet core.  I would suggest renaming it a distance sensor, and using altitude as only one of the possible settings for it.  Other landmarks I'd like are drone core, hopper, planet core (altitude) and as with the directional sensor, named part.

0 replies to this post

There are no comments yet