Stray Fawn Community

Make all sensors with target ranges adjustable by inputs

Lurkily

We once had speedometers that had adjustable target speeds, I seem to recall, just as dynamic thrusters have adjustable thrust.  That's gone for some reason - I don't think it should be.  In fact, I think it should be expanded.

Directional sensors really have only one meaningful range - the tolerance - to adjust.  But there are circumstances in which it might be useful to adjust it.  I'm not entirely sure what those are, but I am all for giving players the opportunity to find out.

Altimeter settings could be very useful for autocompletion drones.  Miners could be set to slowly lower their altitude, then spike it whenever detecting terrain below them - in effect, they'd maintain an altitude related to surface peaks, not related to a specific distance, or having to leap back up every time it goes into a dip and finds terrain ahead of it.

Speed sensors could be set to match velocity to a target; for instance, back when speedometers were adjustable, I once made an orbiter that maintained altitude not by upward thrust, but by moving so fast that it literally orbited the planet; it increased speed when it detected terrain.

0 replies to this post

There are no comments yet