Stray Fawn Community

Worldbuilding bits

Hello there everyone! I'm making this as a place to store my various niche worldbuilding/cultural/lore ideas. Feel free to share your own as well or tell me your thoughts. I have had a lot of ideas bouncing around my head for a while so hopefully I can produce something coherent. I'm not positive about the best way to format this so I guess I'll just be playing it by ear for the time being. Hope you enjoy.

Idea #1- "Doubled" names (Lala, Nunu, Dukduk, etc.) are considered lucky in many places, particularly with tribes that recognize and celebrate the story of Adam. This is because my version of him and Eve (who both ascended to deities after passing away) had 10 cubs who were all named in this style, so naming a baby like this is seen as specifically reaching out to them to watch after and provide protection and guidance to the individual throughout their lifetime.

Idea #2- Related to #1, there is a belief among some particularly superstitious groups that the bluebirds are particularly drawn towards these children throughout their lives, so it is a bit of a double edged sword in that way.

More TBA as I actually copy them down.

• Like 3

Idea #3- I have my own names for a couple of the the creatures and plants and plants in the niche world, though the names the players use are also known and used by nichelings. For example, bluebirds are called both bluebirds and "avezures" and creatures understand that they mean the same thing most of the time.

Bluebirds- Avezures (Basically just combining two words that mean blue with the class name for bird)

Water-breathing plant- Sea Lung (Self explanatory I guess)

Idea #4- Calling someone a "dodomingo" can either be a friendly term of endearment (like calling someone silly or goofy) or an insult (Implying that the individual is noisy, annoying, a busybody, etc.) depending on the area you are in and how the local nichelings view the birds.

Idea #5- Dodomingo feathers are often collected and used to make various trinkets and accessories, including being dyed different colors with various natural paints  made from various materials like berries, blood, clay, soot, crushed bones or shells etc.

Idea #6- Bluebird feathers, by comparison are treated as a lot more "special" by a large number of nicheling cultures. It isn't uncommon among tribes for bluebird feathers to be considered taboo to wear for your average creature, with only leaders, healers, prophets, heroes, and those considered specifically touched by deities being allowed this honor, Even among tribes that are less strict about this, decorating yourself with bluebird feathers tends to be viewed as a little distasteful at best and blatantly egotistical at worst. Like shouting out "Look how IMPORTANT and SPECIAL and VALUABLE I am!" right in everyone's faces. Not in the regular healthy sense of self-respect kind of way, so much as the overly inflated sense of self-importance way, if that makes sense.

• Like 3

7 hours ago, The elf pup & cat dino said:

Idea #7: Nichelings with wings are sometimes just like Bluebirds, eating baby nichelings and Small animals.

Ooh, that's dark but it makes sense. Especially if other sources of food aren't as plentiful in the area. Or to eliminate potential future competitors. AS scary as it must be to see a bluebird in the sky, seeing a nicheling with wings that could potentially attack even older creatures would be even scarier if you don't know their motives.