Stray Fawn Community

send me stories you want me to criticize and give grammatical tips to

Goggles-kun

I’m in advanced English classes and I’m pretty tired of editing people’s old messages because they’re very grammatically incorrect.
Say hello to this thread, where I become a grammar nazi to satisfy every single knot in my back I get from seeing poorly constructed paragraphs and sentences. I’m also happy to teach some English too. 

Common Grammatical English Errors ~

they/them/their/they’re

They: a pronoun used to refer to a group of people, but in recent media is also used as a gender-neutral singular pronoun. (I.e. they like to sell flowers) 

Them: a possessive pronoun used to refer to a group of people, but in recent media is also used as a gender-neutral singular pronoun. (I.e. these clothes belong to them)

Their: a possessive gender-neutral pronoun. Used to describe an object someone owns. (I.e. have you seen their keys?)

They’re: a shortened version of “they are”. Used to describe a person. (I.e. they’re a very kind person)

You/Your/You’re

You: you! (I.e. you are very gorgeous!)

Your: a possessive pronoun used to describe something belonging to you. (I.e. your store is very nice)

You’re: a shortened form of “you are”. Used to describe something about you. (I.e. you’re quite  attentive to everything I talk about)

It/its/it’s

It: an incredibly vague pronoun used to refer to usually non-important or non-human beings, such as pets or objects. Sometimes along the likes of using “they” as a pronoun. (I.e. it bit me!)

Its: a possessive pronoun used to refer to a non-important or non-human’s belonging. Remember, “it belonging to it”. Sometimes used in place of “their”. (I.e. can you hoist its sail?)

It’s: a shortened form of “it is”. Used to describe something. (I.e. it’s a very sunny day)

Than/Then

Then: a condition used to describe time or a sense of what is coming or what used to be. (I.e. if I leave this object outside on a hot day , then it will melt)

Than: a condition used to compare two things. (I.e. this store is better than this store because its employees are much nicer)

“Alot” or “a lot”?

It’s actually “a lot”. “Alot” isn’t a word, even though “a lot” sounds like they’re conjoined words. Try it yourself with autocorrect on!

Affect/Effect

Affect: more commonly used as a verb. To affect something is to change or impact something. (I.e. Mr. Baird becoming president of the book club might affect attendance)

Effect: more commonly used as a noun. An effect is the result of something that was changed. (I.e. Mr. Baird didn’t really think of the effect of his policies on the book club)

Lose/loose

Lose: a verb that means “to misplace, to fail to win against something or to free oneself of something.” (I.e. I’m gonna lose a lot of weight!)

Loose: literally just means “not tight”. (I.e. the valve is very loose and needs to be tightened)

“Weird” or “wierd”? 

Come on, this is just inexcusable. What’s wrong with you? It’s “weird” and it’ll always be “weird”. Have you never graduated third grade? Because third graders make that mistake all the time. Are you deranged? 

Send stuff and be sure to read those tips above :)