Stray Fawn Community

𝑨𝒃𝒆𝒓𝒓𝒂𝒏𝒄𝒆 𝒓𝒐𝒐𝒕 🥀 ☠

Hecatoncheiresosu

You are a death scream.

You are the last gasp of a broken species.

------

Your world did not end with a bang or a whimper. Instead the end came with an eruption… and a descending haze. You can see them even now. The Roots. Extradimensional protrusions forcing their way into your world. Leviathan growths on a scale your mind struggles to comprehend, towering above all, dominating the skyline. From them emanated the Mould. A choking cloud that has spread across the globe, inescapable and unrelenting. Whatever it touches, it changes. Plants. Buildings. Animals. People. As the Roots loom large, surveying the terror they have wrought, humanity has been warped and shifted into mindless horrors that dance to the tune of unseen puppetmasters.

You did not escape it's influence. None have.

You do not remember how the end came. You were asleep. They sealed you away, a last desperate attempt at preserving a species that did not yet realise it was doomed. Deep down in hidden facilities, the powers of a dying world hoped they could bury you beyond the reach of the Mould. That you might one day awaken to reclaim what was once yours.

Your would-be saviours did not bury you deep enough. The Mould still found you. But it could not change you fully. Not as it has with the once-human monsters and mutated biomass that now roams the planet.

You are Aberrant. An anomaly. An outlier. Resistant to the influence of the Mould upon your mind… yet capable of wielding it. Your body has been warped, mutated, but you can use these changes to your own advantage. They might be all that stands between you and an untimely death. The world is blighted, choked with horrors. Alien creatures and terrifying biomass that serve the beings who sit at the Roots' spires.

Your enemies are coming for you. The Invaders. Unseen masterminds of your world's demise, the fiddlers who have the infected dancing to their tunes. They know where you are buried. They know you are the only threat to their existence this world has left. And so they will destroy you… unless you destroy them first.

You have but one task left to you, now, as you are dumped from sleep into a waking nightmare. You must seize the Roots. Seal off the Invaders.

For you are a death scream. The last gasp of a broken species.

And it falls to you to write humanity's final chapter.

Abberance root is a Post-Apocalyptic Body Horror RP, about the last mutated survivors of the human race trying to survive a fungal-infested hellscape that was once their home, all the while striving to get back at the things responsible for humanity's demise. You take the role of survivors who have been sealed away from the world as it ended, each of you infected by the Mould that has overrun everything and yet somehow capable of resisting it’s mind-controlling effects. The mutations it grants, or inflicts, are now yours to control. They are the only thing between you and an early grave. For the new world you have awoken to wants you dead. Your only recourse is to follow the call you feel within you. Seize the Roots. Seal off the Invaders.

The story will lead you across an unrecognisable world, face you off against warped mycelial horrors, and above all else ask you a specific question.

How do you wish for the end of the world to be written?

RP RULES.

Players will take the role of an individual caught up in a strange Project that has seen them kept in stasis as the world ended, awakening to find themselves one of the Aberrant.

New characters begin at Stage 1 of the Mould infection.

At this time, I am allowing only one character per player: I don't want the cast to be overly extensive.

Please read through the Lore before joining.

RP EXPECTATIONS

I have no demands in terms of Posting Expectations. All are welcome in this RP, so long as you want to tell a cool, disturbing story.

In a similar vein, I make no demands in terms of Post Frequency. I would be a hypocrite if I did, for I am a notorious flake. All I ask is that we all work together to keep the story’s momentum progressing forward. This may involve poking me every now and then to ensure I haven’t disappeared up my own mind  through overthinking. It’s a serial vice of mine, I apologise in advance.

This is quite specifically a Body Horror RP. It will get gruesome, and this is encouraged, though bear in mind that this is not a Star RP. Keep your grotesque horror classy, or something. I dunno.

This is going to get weird, I am going to make this weird.

Aberrant Powers

'Aberrant Powers' refers to the abilities that these strange, outlier individuals infected by the Mould can wield. Much like the fungal infection coursing through them, these powers are as varied as they are bizarre.

Creative control remains with you, the player. I don't wish to set too many parameters and restrictions, because frankly you are all far more imaginative than I ever could be. Instead I want you to keep a few key motifs and themes in mind when designing these powers. Mycology is your guiding star in terms of imagery. The Mould builds. It destroys. It shifts perceptions. But always, it changes.

Aim for these abilities to be something that can expand and develop over the course of the game. The best analogy I can think of is that of a Tech Tree, if you've ever played a 4X game, or the Perk Tree you see in RPGs (you're thinking of Skyrim, I'm thinking of Skyrim, even the person who proofread this OOC thought of Skyrim). Start out simple and light then grow more complex and heavy. Like a mycelial network, growing ever outwards. I'm not saying you have to plan a full Tech Tree for your character's Power, let me stress. It would be cool as hell if you did, though.

Aberrant Powers will develop in stages, as the story progresses. As your characters fuel and develop the Mould within them (or even take on new forms of the Mould and incorporate it into their own network), their abilities will grow. For the sake of gameplay mechanics, I have broken these stages down below:

Stage 1: Chrysalis - At this stage, your character's abilities will be nascent, only just beginning to manifest. Powerful, certainly, but in their early stage. Associated growths and fungal mutations will not be as obvious, and the character will still look mostly human.

Stage 2: Imago - The Mould is now fully manifested inside your character, and the abilities it conveys have solidified. Infection is now far more obvious, however, and gruesome.

Stage 3: Symbiosis - A quorum between human and Mould has been achieved. Your character is now extensively mutated by the infection, and the abilities stemming from this have grown all the more potent. They are quite obviously no longer human at this stage, however, with the growths and protrusions reaching grotesque proportions even when powers are not manifest.

Stage 4: ██████████ - you keep what you kill

Stage 5: ███████ - non habes mentem

SAMPLE POWER: Calcite Armoury
The Aberrant draws Mould to the surface of their body, calcifying it into hardened matter that can act as armour and/or weapons.

Stage 1: The Aberrant can form calcified armour in limited regions of their body, specifically the extremities such as arms and legs. These formations can be serrated or spiked in places to double as blunt or slashing weapons, but nothing refined. Patches of skin on the arms and legs are hardened even when the armour is not formed, and close inspection shows fungal protrusions. The process of manifesting this armour is agonising.

Stage 2: Calcified armour can now cover the chest and arms/legs of the Aberrant, acting as a form of breastplate. Formations on the arms and legs can be extended and formed into crude slashing and bludgeoning weapons. Half-formed sections of hardened material still linger even when the armour is not being used. The pain of manifesting it has lessened.

Stage 3: The armour can now coat the entire body of the Aberrant, including the head, forming a suit of bio-organic plate armour. More complex and enlarged extensions can be formed, appearing as longswords and shields. Obvious sections of bracket fungi now protrude from the Aberrant's body at all times. It doesn't hurt any more.

SAMPLE POWER: Fungal Hive
The Aberrant has become a living host to a nest of vicious insect-like fungal lifeforms, which they are capable of controlling and directing at will. It nestles subcutaneously, against their spine. Always, it stirs. Always, it hungers.

Stage 1: Emerging through pores and pushing their way through skin, the Aberrant can call forth a small mob of fungal insect life to swarm around them. These insects are not large, about the size of a human fist, but are equipped with vicious stingers and jaws that can bite and stab. They cannot venture far from their host, and have a limited lifespan. Having insects burst out from beneath skin is hardly a fun experience.

Stage 2: The subcutaneous tunnels that the insects buzz through are growing more permanent and wider, allowing the Aberrant to spawn forth larger numbers of small insects or a few hardened, weaponised forms. These fungal horrors are now capable of travelling further from their Hive, and the Aberrant can get a vague sense of what they see when doing so. But their body is never still. Never quiet. Always they skitter about inside. Scraping. Buzzing.

Stage 3: The Aberrant is a warren now, a true hive. They almost vibrate with activity. A small cloud of fist-sized insects can emerge on cue, and the larger variants are now equipped with dangerous poisons. The insects’ lifespans have increased, and the Aberrant receives a much clearer picture of everything they experience. Their body is riddled with porous holes, pock-marked by honeycombs of crawlspaces.

Expectations

‘Post Apocalypse’ conveys different things to different people, so I want to set the tone right out of the gate. Aberrant Root is not a story about survivors coming together to form settlements and rebuild what was lost. Instead it is a tale of people being dumped into the unknown, of being compelled to venture out into a strange, disturbing new world. Think ‘Journey To The West’, although stories like Cormac McCarthy’s ‘The Road’ or Stephen King’s ‘The Dark Tower’ might be more fitting. By having the cast of this game be explorers, voyagers, I hope to be able to reveal the details of this world to you organically rather than simply relying on an info dump of lore.

‘Body Horror’ is not just something I want to pay lip service to. I want to really lean in, make it disturbing, uncomfortable. Just plain gross. Your characters’ bodies are being warped and shifted into grotesque mockeries of the human form, and its only going to get worse as the story goes on. Key inspirations include movies by David Cronenberg and ‘Tetsuo: The Iron Man’ (which is more metallic in it’s body horror than fungal, but it still works uncomfortably well).

There is an end state for Aberrance Root that I have in mind, but nothing is set in stone. Your characters have agency, and the choices they make on their journey will have consequences.

How the world ends is up to you.

CHARACTER SHEET

Name: (Please also list any nicknames your character might have.)
Age: (Candidates aged 16 and over were considered for the project your character has been caught up in.)
Appearance: (Images and pictures are preferred, if not then brevity is appreciated.)
Five Words: (Give us five specific words that encapsulate the nature of your character, and don't elaborate on them further.)

Notable Skills: (Give us 3-4 skills and/or areas of expertise for your character, feel free to elaborate on them a little further but keep things brief.)

Remnant Memories:
(Your character has been asleep. For how long, they do not know. The process has affected their memories, making it difficult to recall much of their life before their sudden awakening. However, a few key memories still linger on, for good or ill.

Please list three Remnant Memories that have stuck with your character through stasis. These are likely from defining moments in your character's life, be that positive or negative. They represent the few vestiges your character has of their old life as they awaken into this strange, disturbing new world.)

Hidden Memories:
(Not all that is lost will remain so forever. As your character progresses through the story, memories will begin to re-surface. Choose three more Memories that will emerge throughout the game. Ideally, these Hidden Memories will be tied to the Remnant Memories already chosen, perhaps adding further clarity to past events or new twists.

Aberrant Power:
(Describe and outline your character's Aberrant Power, the manifestation of the abilities and powers that they can wield due to infection by the Mould. For full guidance and advice on putting such an ability together, please consult the 'Aberrant Powers' tab.)

hey is this okay for a power? earlier stages will be much weaker, as you said. 

this is what i have

"The ability to alter the genetics of a living thing to anything they have touched. If they are changing someone else's genetics they have to have touched that person/thing within the last half hour. The longer they have been without touching that person, the weaker the connection gets. An example of genetic alteration would be to give themselves wings, if they have touched a feather before."

2 minutes ago, ItzFadeTheTheTheTheThe said:

hey is this okay for a power? earlier stages will be much weaker, as you said. 

this is what i have

"The ability to alter the genetics of a living thing to anything they have touched. If they are changing someone else's genetics they have to have touched that person/thing within the last half hour. The longer they have been without touching that person, the weaker the connection gets. An example of genetic alteration would be to give themselves wings, if they have touched a feather before."

yes, As long as it has Weaknesses, to balance it out, then it's encouraged.

• Paw up 1

totally not making an (emo) character 

Name: Jayden, Nickname Jay
Appearance: 
60CEE595-1106-4FB4-B7BB-6B9BCA361DE4.thumb.png.27cdc9e3ad60ff1b1ec07d110502cbde.png
Five Words: Manipulative, Convincing, Untrusting, Impulsive, Stubborn

Notable Skills: Very athletic, Good internal clock, somewhat good sense of direction, and quick to make decisions

Remnant Memories:
-Running away from home, though they don't exactly remember why. 

-They vaguely remember a fight at home.

-Vague scatters of school and friends

(my brain: they like cheese maybe.)

Hidden Memories:

-The reason they ran from home was after a family fight over a religious belief that had the family torn two ways. Jay ran away from home a few nights after to avoid the consequences.

-Their best friend, who they can't remember the name of. Was a very supportive and kind friend.

-they love cheese /j

Aberrant Power:

Body Manipulation

The ability to alter the genetics of any living thing to anything they have touched. If they are changing someone else's genetics they had to have touched that person/thing within the last half hour. The longer they have been without touching that person, the weaker the connection gets. An example of genetic alteration would be to give themselves wings, if they have touched a feather before.

However, when altering their genetics, afterwards it can leave remnants which can be uncomfortable and make it difficult to function. For example, if they altered their genetics to have sharp blades protruding from their limbs, after removing the alteration, some of the metal could remain and possibly internally injure them, causing extreme uncomfortability and pain. Usually these go away after a few hours to a few days depending on how strong the alteration was. This usually only happens to frequently altered beings (such as themselves) and rarely happens to someone who almost never gets genetically altered. They can be avoided, however this requires extreme focus.

=+=
Stage 1: Just recently manifesting, they are able to very slightly alter their genetics... For example, they could give themselves armour out of, like, rocks or something, but it's not that strong. Not strong enough to create something so powerful that it could make a giant difference. It would take a lot of energy to genetically alter a different being, as the abilities are so weak.

Stage 2: They now are able to do more complex genetic alterations, ones they have commonly done especially reaching more power. The power is slightly more dangerous now, and they are able to control it much better. Altering the genetics at this stage is much faster than it was in stage 1, however is more likely to leave behind remnants, and they will stay for longer periods of time. At this stage you could probably give yourself some decent wings if you wished so.

Stage 3: Now it is fully(?) developed. Extremely quick altering, and much more powerful. Now when these powers are used,  it is highly likely that remnants have begun to build themselves into the holder's body... Making oddly shaped limbs, sometimes, certain unusual traits that can affect daily life, and extremely slow healing of remnants. The stronger the ability gets, the slower the remnants go away because of excessive usage, and the body growing accustomed to them. It's very likely that there will be certain pros and cons to the permanent remnants, such as metal bones, or patches of feathers, depending on the certain alterations the holder uses most often.

If I need to change anything, I can!! Just tell me!

1 hour ago, ItzFadeTheTheTheTheThe said:

totally not making an (emo) character 

Name: Jayden, Nickname Jay
Appearance: (Images and pictures are preferred, if not then brevity is appreciated.)
Five Words: Manipulative, Convincing, Untrusting, Impulsive, Stubborn

Notable Skills: Very athletic, Good internal clock, somewhat good sense of direction, and quick to make decisions

Remnant Memories:
-Running away from home, though they don't exactly remember why. 

-They vaguely remember a fight at home.

-Vague scatters of school and friends

(my brain: they like cheese maybe.)

Hidden Memories:

-The reason they ran from home was after a family fight over a religious belief that had the family torn two ways. Jay ran away from home a few nights after to avoid the consequences.

-Their best friend, who they can't remember the name of. Was a very supportive and kind friend.

-they love cheese /j

Aberrant Power:

Body Manipulation

The ability to alter the genetics of any living thing to anything they have touched. If they are changing someone else's genetics they had to have touched that person/thing within the last half hour. The longer they have been without touching that person, the weaker the connection gets. An example of genetic alteration would be to give themselves wings, if they have touched a feather before.

However, when altering their genetics, afterwards it can leave remnants which can be uncomfortable and make it difficult to function. For example, if they altered their genetics to have sharp blades protruding from their limbs, after removing the alteration, some of the metal could remain and possibly internally injure them, causing extreme uncomfortability and pain. Usually these go away after a few hours to a few days depending on how strong the alteration was. This usually only happens to frequently altered beings (such as themselves) and rarely happens to someone who almost never gets genetically altered. They can be avoided, however this requires extreme focus.

=+=
Stage 1: Just recently manifesting, they are able to very slightly alter their genetics... For example, they could give themselves armour out of, like, rocks or something, but it's not that strong. Not strong enough to create something so powerful that it could make a giant difference. It would take a lot of energy to genetically alter a different being, as the abilities are so weak.

Stage 2: They now are able to do more complex genetic alterations, ones they have commonly done especially reaching more power. The power is slightly more dangerous now, and they are able to control it much better. Altering the genetics at this stage is much faster than it was in stage 1, however is more likely to leave behind remnants, and they will stay for longer periods of time. At this stage you could probably give yourself some decent wings if you wished so.

Stage 3: Now it is fully(?) developed. Extremely quick altering, and much more powerful. Now when these powers are used,  it is highly likely that remnants have begun to build themselves into the holder's body... Making oddly shaped limbs, sometimes, certain unusual traits that can affect daily life, and extremely slow healing of remnants. The stronger the ability gets, the slower the remnants go away because of excessive usage, and the body growing accustomed to them. It's very likely that there will be certain pros and cons to the permanent remnants, such as metal bones, or patches of feathers, depending on the certain alterations the holder uses most often.

If I need to change anything, I can!! Just tell me!

so this is here, i deleted it and mod restored it for me, I’m going to make the appearance soon but i need to fix the computer crashing issue first (im on my phone currently) and TY MODD

10 minutes ago, ItzFadeTheTheTheTheThe said:

so this is here, i deleted it and mod restored it for me, I’m going to make the appearance soon but i need to fix the computer crashing issue first (im on my phone currently) and TY MODD

The faint scent of Blood could be smelled.. Overgrowth flourished outside your Coffin ( Pod), Steam then Came and Covered the Greens in a Smokey haze. The Lid Detached as you laid there.... wake up, wake up..

Faint whispers flooded The area, Wake up. Your journey is just beginning.

Name:  Zara
Appearance: Short and skinny, blonde hair and brown eyes. She has a burn scar on her hand. 
Five Words: Caring, intelligent, indecisive, impulsive, alert

Notable Skills: help I can't think of it for some reason  Uhhh quite fast and athletic

Remnant Memories:

-Very young, outside, alone in the rain, wearing rags

-Touching a stove, getting yelled at, punishment

-Running away from something

Hidden Memories:
-Was abandoned and grew up in a not-so-nice orphanage

-She had a friend there named Peter, they were very close.

-Eventually ran away, but Peter was left behind.

Aberrant Power:

Power: Fungal transformation

Able to temporarily shift parts of their body into a different shape with the extremley fast growth of mould there.

Stage one- Can only shift small parts like hands and feet into slightly different forms, and only for a few minutes at a time.

Stage two- Able to shift entire limbs into more unique forms, and for a longer amount of time, maximum 6 hours or so.

Stage three- Shifting entire body and the growth of new limbs. Stays in the shifted form for days or even weeks at a time.

1 hour ago, BirbMonster said:

Name:  Zara
Appearance: Short and skinny, blonde hair and brown eyes. She has a burn scar on her hand. 
Five Words: Caring, intelligent, indecisive, impulsive, alert

Notable Skills: help I can't think of it for some reason  Uhhh quite fast and athletic

Remnant Memories:

-Very young, outside, alone in the rain, wearing rags

-Touching a stove, getting yelled at, punishment

-Running away from something

Hidden Memories:
-Was abandoned and grew up in a not-so-nice orphanage

-She had a friend there named Peter, they were very close.

-Eventually ran away, but Peter was left behind.

Aberrant Power:

Power: Fungal transformation

Able to temporarily shift parts of their body into a different shape with the extremley fast growth of mould there.

Stage one- Can only shift small parts like hands and feet into slightly different forms, and only for a few minutes at a time.

Stage two- Able to shift entire limbs into more unique forms, and for a longer amount of time, maximum 6 hours or so.

Stage three- Shifting entire body and the growth of new limbs. Stays in the shifted form for days or even weeks at a time.

The faint scent of Blood could be smelled.. Overgrowth flourished outside your Coffin ( Pod), Steam then Came and Covered the Greens in a Smokey haze. The Lid Detached as you laid there.... wake up, wake up..

3 minutes ago, Hecatoncheiresosu said:

Her eyes opened suddenly. Where am I? She looked around as faint memories flooded back to her.

21 hours ago, Hecatoncheiresosu said:

(I made the appearance!)

Jayden woke up slowly, her body aching. Where was she? And what was this rotting stench?