Stray Fawn Community

The Forumer’s Guide to Tone Indicators

BirbMonstwo

Since the original topic where we decided to use these only has a few, and I often used to struggle with finding out what they mean, I decided to make this topic!

If you think anything here should be edited/added, please inform me!

First, what are tone indicators and why do we use them?

Tone indicators are small notes at the end of a post that are there to show people what exactly you mean. They can signify things like whether you’re joking or not.

I’ve seen people on the internet get mad because someone used a tone indicator where it was ‘obvious’, but even when it is for you, please use them anyways, as some people may struggle with figuring out tone from a sentence (this can be the case with autistic people, like me)

Tone indicator meanings:

/j - Joking

/hj - Half-joking

/pos - Positive connotation (used when something is supposed to be taken positively)

/neu- Neutral connotation 

/neg - Negative connotation 

/srs - Serious

/nsrs- Not serious 

/gen (or /g)  - Geniune

/genq - Geniune question 

/s - Sarcasm

/lh - Light-hearted

/rh or /rt- Rhetorical question 

• Like 1
  • Love 1

26 minutes ago, BirbMonstwo said:

I’m not sure, actually 
Does anybody here know?

2 hours ago, eebee said:

just a question

why does /neu exist

"/NEU means "Neutral." /NEU (usually typed /neu) is a tone indicator, used with the meaning "neutral" to indicate that the sender intends their comment to be taken in a neutral way."

• Paw up 1

8 hours ago, polly said:

"/NEU means "Neutral." /NEU (usually typed /neu) is a tone indicator, used with the meaning "neutral" to indicate that the sender intends their comment to be taken in a neutral way."

ok but like all comments are default neutral. if you say a compliment, people can see its a compliment, if its an insult, might need a tone indicator. if i say something like "i like strawberry flavored things" it does not need a tone indicator to know it is neutral. it doesnt make sense to me.

ok maybe /neu might be needed in this case

but /neu and /hj are both on the same level of "im not using that"

25 minutes ago, eebee said:

ok but like all comments are default neutral. if you say a compliment, people can see its a compliment, if its an insult, might need a tone indicator. if i say something like "i like strawberry flavored things" it does not need a tone indicator to know it is neutral. it doesnt make sense to me.

ok maybe /neu might be needed in this case

but /neu and /hj are both on the same level of "im not using that"

some neurodivergent people cant tell if something is a joke, serious or neutral 

4 hours ago, eebee said:

forgot neurodivergent people exist

LMAO that's the point of tone indicators. to help neurodivergent people 

• Paw up 1