Stray Fawn Community

Atmospheric thrusters

GreyCore

As i understand in some planets if not most there is an atmospehere and it has a density. The more dense the atmosphere the weaker the thrusters, so what if there were atmospheric thrusters which instead of weakening when atmosphere is more dense, they would be more powerful yet weaker when the atmosphere is less dense. I think that they should be an alternative to standart thrusters, therefore they should consume an equal amount of energy and produce same amount of thrust when in medium dense atmosphere.

I believe adding them would not be too difficult since its just one piece, but despite that it would add a whole new spice to the game.

• Sad 1

3 replies to this post

This seems like you could implement it with some logic and dynamic thrusters.  

I once suggested wings; a piece which would generate upward trust, based on a combination of altitude and speed.  I once suggested wings; a piece which would generate upward trust, based on a combination of altitude and speed. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for atmospheric mechanics.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

This seems like you could implement it with some logic and dynamic thrusters.  

I once suggested wings; a piece which would generate upward trust, based on a combination of altitude and speed.  I once suggested wings; a piece which would generate upward trust, based on a combination of altitude and speed. There doesn't seem to be a lot of love for atmospheric mechanics.

No, becouse then it would not be more powerful in dense atmosphere. It would be as weak as standart thrusters.

Also this wouldnt add any air related physics, this would just help out when in a planet with high density atmosphere to move quickly.

Atmospheric mechanics probably dont get much love, becouse there isnt enough space or speed at which wings and such things would be relevant.

I guess I'm trying to see why this would be challenging or interesting, rather than simply different.  It isn't a strategic or tactical decision, because you can tailor your drone to each world; in picking the right engine for the atmosphere, there would be no trade-off or drawback, just a correct and an incorrect decision.

The space and speed required are entirely dependent on the responsiveness of the mechanics used to implement them, which is pretty much whatever the devs want them to be.  I suspect the real reason is just that people don't want to throw ideas of aerodynamics into the mix of spaceflight - it could get confusing, fast.