Stray Fawn Community

Red Rock Ptarmiken

Fishyfishyfishy500

Animal Combo: Red Junglefowl + Rock Ptarmigan

The Red Rock Ptarmiken is a large bird that spawns in the mountain and jungle biomes, it is about the size of a normal-bodied nicheling, they are not very rare, and often stay close together, they come in two genders male and female

Movement:

In the Jungle, Red Rock Ptarmiken often wanders the forest floor by walking, and only really flies when escaping a predator or chasing down prey, it also flies into the forest canopy to roost at night, it also easily hides in the normally impassible jungle foliage

In the Mountains, it waddles through the barren rock and snow, mostly flying rather than walking however, and sometimes staying still and gaining +1 camo and +2 stealth to just annoy you and make it hard for predators to detect, they will also walk on the snow, not through it, making them hard to even chase after a blizzard

Habitat:

RRPs live in islands with mountains or jungles

Hunting:

Males are ferocious and will not back down during a fight, especially if a female or chick is attacked, if they detect a nicheling or other predator attack a chick or come to close, they will make an intimidating cry, fly and attack, then flee, inflicting bleed while making a loud cry that reduces the targets stealth to 0, they are also bulkier and more defensive than females

but due to their ferocity, they will not try to hide from you, and if they attack a large group of nichelings, they are not very difficult to kill, they also cannot move as fast as females and are not as hard to detect

Males drop 20 food when killed

Females are not as ferocious and do not usually attack unless attacked themselves, when a nicheling is detected, they lie down, increasing their stealth by 2 and camo by 1(does not stack with the staying still), and if they get too close, they will retreat, often to the top of a tree or across a river, but when defending chicks, they cry loudly and attack the predator, hoping that its mate comes and fights the threat, then them and their chicks flee, they can also detect you more easily

due to their low combat stats they are easy to overwhelm, and can technically be killed before it calls its mate

Lifespan:

They live for 35 days.

Diet:

Red Rock Ptarmikens eat small vertebrates(like rabbils and stagmoles), insects, snails, roots, fruit and seeds

Predators:

Nichelings, Bearyena, Pythadillo lizard, Arctic ramfoxes, Apes, Bluebirds(can't be carried away while in grass/trees)

Abilities:

Male

1 swimming

4 speed

5 flight

1 cracking

2 digging

2 attack

2 eyesight

1 smelling

3 hearing

intimidating cry(equal to strong voice)

Unnerving cry(negates adjacent creatures stealth and lowers defense by 2)

Crow(attracts females)

Female

2 swimming

5 speed

6 flight

1 cracking

2 digging

4 eyesight

2 smelling

3 hearing

Call for help (calls in male RRPs)

• Like 2

6 replies to this post

7 hours ago, RandomWanderer said:

Geez, a bird that is stronger than a balance bear or killer bearyena? While having insane speed? 

Even the female is as strong as a normal one. Maybe nerve the attack to 2 and lifespan to 30? 

maybe three, but the female is easier to kill, but the problem is the the balance bear is stupidly weak, only 1 move per night, which is honestly stupid, but maybe 3 attack? also some SMALL BIRDS like smaller owl species and yes, chickens, can actually do serious harm to things as large as humans, maybe the loud cry inflicts a buff, while removing stealth, it will also lower attack and buff all movement speeds, also bluebirds can also eat them

Edit: they have been balanced out now

13 hours ago, Fishyfishyfishy500 said:

maybe three, but the female is easier to kill, but the problem is the the balance bear is stupidly weak, only 1 move per night, which is honestly stupid, but maybe 3 attack? also some SMALL BIRDS like smaller owl species and yes, chickens, can actually do serious harm to things as large as humans, maybe the loud cry inflicts a buff, while removing stealth, it will also lower attack and buff all movement speeds, also bluebirds can also eat them

Edit: they have been balanced out now

As they are small enough to be prey to bluebirds... you'd have a chicken sized bird, stronger than a bear. Just how does that work? 

Further, flighted animals have little defense. If they're OP in the strenght department, this part here really pushes what is believeable to me.

A balance bear might not be the strongest, but since they ambush nurseries in deep winter, they certainly are trouble. They're balanced that way with their lifespan.

Your RRP would kill the average nicheling in three hits. Three hits.

Give your early to mid game basic hunter a strenght of 6. Thats 7 attacks (Edit: lifespan is 40, not 45)

And you have two dead and one badly hurt nicheling.

• Like 2

With a three in attack, 

That might be two dead nichelings. 

With a two, at least one with a whooping 14 damage. 

Give them 1 defense and 2 attack,

And you have 8 hits from the bird, 16 damage total. One nicheling dead, one wounded.

Since you also have a female to kill, expect three dead. 

Maybe add a defense breaking aspect to their battle cry, and you still have killer birds. 

You would be right to object that they are easier to kill with late-game strenght. Their cry could well cap damage on the high end, making them a constant deadly foe, but not an impossible killing machine in early and midgame.

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, RandomWanderer said:

With a three in attack, 

That might be two dead nichelings. 

With a two, at least one with a whooping 14 damage. 

Give them 1 defense and 2 attack,

And you have 8 hits from the bird, 16 damage total. One nicheling dead, one wounded.

Since you also have a female to kill, expect three dead. 

Maybe add a defense breaking aspect to their battle cry, and you still have killer birds. 

You would be right to object that they are easier to kill with late-game strenght. Their cry could well cap damage on the high end, making them a constant deadly foe, but not an impossible killing machine in early and midgame.

thanks 4 your suggestions, I now see why it was stupidly op, and I removed the defense on the male, now I get it, one thing though, if you want unbalanced, try searching the pythadillo lizard

• Thanks 1

I have chickens, so I have some ideas to alter the stats. If we are talking about a bird that's not overly large--

- Chickens can't swim well, if at all. So 1 or 0 swimming for both.

- I would give females 0 attack and the males 1 to 2 attack. Hens can peck, but rooster spurs are what cause the most damage. 

- I would give cocks 'crow' which attracts females and also acts as a strong voice stat

- Cocks (males) won't generally attack unless you come too close to a hen or chick or it is attacked itself

- Hens can 'shriek' or 'cry' to attract males when they are attacked or if their babies are attacked. 

- I would give them both 1 digging and 1 or 2 collecting

- I would lower their eyesight, hearing and smelling stats by 1, and make both sexes have the same stats.

- I would make many of the male and female stats in general more equal. 

- I would say they females drop 10 and males drop 15 food while chicks drop 2

- Hens sit on nests like dodomingos for 1 turn and chicks hatch

These are just my 2 cents for my ideas :D

• Like 2