Stray Fawn Community

Make scrap option for Factories

vladchima556

would be nice if there was an option to have the part attached from the factory delete as it detaches. this can save on lag so you aren't making infinite items on accident. as it deletes it should also have no connection to the ship, like if a button was on the factory and it got deleted it would no longer affect the ship

8 replies to this post

I like other solutions for this currently; engineering solutions instead of game solutions.  TNT that is configurable - for instance, to set fires in a small radius, to fully self-destruct sections. (A heater leaves behind a heater, immune to fire, though if it is a child of a destroyed part, it will still be debris.)

Also remember, if you manage to destroy one part, ALL children become debris, so creative self-destruct solutions only have to ensure destruction of that part.

• Like 1

Firstly, it's my opinion that the factory-fuel/energy solution is an error that should be eliminated, and that all tanks should manufacture empty - that shouldn't be a solution at all.

Secondly, better engineering will fix that.  Keep the heater away from the body of your drone, use a moment of magnetism or thrust to propel it away, or use a brief actuation of a hinge before decoupling to toss it.  If you don't want it getting caught in a magnet, don't dump it next to your magnet.

There are design solutions to this that don't require custom parts.

7 minutes ago, notsew93 said:

I'm with Lurkily on this one - I'm not sure what the use case for this delete printed part feature would be. Why was it printed if you want to delete it?

Not everything that is printed is permanent.  I have one drone that prints a logic set to control behavior - to change behaviour modes, it'll eject the logic with a magnet, and a piece of tnt is the parent, ensuring it all turns to debris if not destroyed,  then it reprints a different logic set. 

I also have ore couriers that can't harvest themselves, so they move over the hopper, then drop into the hopper to empty the tanks,  and set themselves on fire. 

Ah yes, I do have similar ore carriers. I see the point now, but I am still unsure that poofing parts out of existence is something I want in the game.

To be honest, I am a bit uneasy about how the factory insta-summons parts. The sudden appearance sort of breaks my suspension of disbelief, if you will. Not to get too off the course of the thread here, but I would be happier if the factory summoned it's child parts one at a time until completion, or even phased them in from 100% transparent to 0% transparent one-by-one. This would prevent the factory from being able to "bank" a whole sub-assembly for instant summons, and could be a suitable nerf without even having to change the part conjuring rate from one a second. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, notsew93 said:

Ah yes, I do have similar ore carriers. I see the point now, but I am still unsure that poofing parts out of existence is something I want in the game.

To be honest, I am a bit uneasy about how the factory insta-summons parts. The sudden appearance sort of breaks my suspension of disbelief, if you will. Not to get too off the course of the thread here, but I would be happier if the factory summoned it's child parts one at a time until completion, or even phased them in from 100% transparent to 0% transparent one-by-one. This would prevent the factory from being able to "bank" a whole sub-assembly for instant summons, and could be a suitable nerf without even having to change the part conjuring rate from one a second. 

I think that the factory should summon things in with a graphical effect somewhat like in building/fabricating in Subnautica, gradually fading things into existence from bottom to top. (For those of you who haven’t played Subnautica, it is a survival sci-fi style game where you crash landed on an ocean planet and are the only survivor. Pretty good story/mystery element as well. Best survival game that I have ever played.)