Stray Fawn Community

Four modifiers on weapons

Fireheart318

6 replies to this post

Thanks for including my own.  :) I think there are a lot of ways to make people put more thought into upgrades than 'what are the three deadliest things', but I'm not sure just adding a slot is ideal.  I think we want people having to choose between tradeoffs; if a player is able to fully max out a weapon with everything they want, that should be endgame content, built into progression somehow.

I was kicking this around the other day and wonder'd what it would be like if damage related mods and utility mods had different slots.

Lets say you get X mod slots for things like damage, attack speed, and quantity mods, then X mod slots(s) that can only slot mods that alter weapons but don't necessarily increase damage output such as recoil, accuracy, homing, and projectile duration. 

The reasoning: Some mods, such as projectile quantity or -80% energy cost, are far and away more powerful than things like recoil mods. With limited mod space, taking the weaker mods is rarely worthwhile. If the "sub-mods" had their exclusive slot, they'd see plenty of use.

Any thoughts on what you would do about the downgrades in that scenario?  I'm still a fan of the idea of downgrades giving something back - not giving you a whole additional upgrade in exchange, but something.

Nothing serious, I'm afraid. Although the combination of a few drawbacks unlocking a new top tier mod would tickle my fancy. Examples could be taking huge amounts of additional recoil to unlock a mod that supercharges projectile force, or reducing grenade velocity down to zero to unlock a proximity mine. 

Take a look at the suggestion with my name on it, that MTM linked.  It's capable of that kind of shenanigans.  Take the values and numbers with a grain of salt though, I threw most values together to demonstrate the concept, rather than as a strict guideline for what should be.

It doesn't give special abilities for downgrades, but you can take an extra upgrade, if you take enough.