Stray Fawn Community

Gamepad support

Veroni

3 replies to this post

It sounds cool! I'm not sure how it would work and there would probably be money issues and issues with converting over to a format like that.

IMAGINE PLAYING NICHE ON A TV OMG LOL

• Like 1

I tried to generate a steam configuration, but it was too hard to open skills/genes/mutations/family tree because I had to map the gamepad stick to mouse movement. 

I imagine something like this (using a Logitec gamepad):

- Upper shoulder buttons to toggle through active animals (like Tab on the keyboard).

- Left stick to select a direction/hex field originating from the currently selected animal, trigger key to increase the distance. Maybe easier to implement (?) but more fiddly would be to use the left stick to direct a pointer to the field you want. A white outline indicates the currently selected hex field. 

- X to select an action (like a mouse click), A to open the selection of available actions if there are multiple, directional pad to select one of the available action, B to cancel (like esc key) / return from that selection. Y button opens a menu with a list of all animals to select one faster than toggling through them.

- Right stick to move the camera, Zoom by holding the left trigger while moving the right stick.

- Option button (the one left of start) opens the skills/genes/mutations/family tree menu, directional pad to select which you want, A to open it. 

- Start button opens the options menu (for options, exit game, etc)   

That leaves the family tree:

A and B to open a list with the genes / phenotypes respectively to set the filter.

Toggle through animals with upper should buttons. In addition, here I would use the left stick as a mouse pointer for selecting. 

Press X to rename an animal (of course at that point, you need an additional keyboard, or just go with the suggested names).

Oh, I actually tried exactly that... on the couch, using our huge TV. The names in the family tree were unreadable though in 4K resolution.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Veroni said:

Oh, I actually tried exactly that... on the couch, using our huge TV. The names in the family tree were unreadable though in 4K resolution.

what?? oh man that sucks

I would think the names would be easier to see on such a big screen xD 

• Like 1