Stray Fawn Community

Royal Outcasts

Stranger

Happy New Year everyone, I've been wanting to make another playthrough for a little while now and it just so happened that I'm starting it on New Year's :). This will basically be a royalty challenge (CosmicChaos21 I came up with this idea independently but I know you posted a royal challenge playthrough just before me, so let me know If you're alright with me also doing a royal challenge), but with a few new rules.

Rules:

• This tribe are outcasts from their old tribe, being hunted down. The royals from their old tribe want to get rid of the outcasts so they don't come back and try to retake the throne. Because they are being chased, this tribe cannot stay on an island for more than thirty days. 
  • To prevent myself from just island-hopping, I need to stay on an island for at least 25 days before moving.
  • When I meet a wanderer I roll a random number generator between 1 and 5. 1-3= The wanderer is part of the old tribe and is sent by them to attack the current tribe. The nicheling that discovered the wanderer must fight them or run.  (use commands to damage the tribe nicheling if a fight happens). 4 = The nicheling is just a wanderer but will not join the tribe for fear of their safety. 5 = The nicheling is just a wanderer and is happy to join the tribe.
  • If I meet a wanderer that is a baby or child I can ignore the above rule and invite them.
  • When someone displeases the royalty then they get a strike. Each nicheling can have three strikes before they're exiled. 
  • Higher rank postions such as healer, warrior, or royal, need to be mentored. Once a nicheling gains their second gem they are assigned a teacher from their same rank. Royals need a warrior, a healer and another royal (preferably extended family) to teach them.

Random stuff: 

• The Queen is called the 'Kani'
  • The King is called the 'Kanir'
  • The Princess is called the 'Kaya'
  • The prince is called the 'Kayan'
  • Nichelings are born into their rank. This is almost impossible to change unless they marry someone who is higher rank than them. A lower ranked nicheling takes their mates rank when they marry.

Ranks:

• White gems: Royalty. They can have one apprentice. The close members of the royal family all have white gems. The cousins of the current monarch by blood are still royalty but the cousins children are not.
  • Blue gems: Healer. They can have one apprentice. They are the next most important, and are treated well. A nicheling cannot eat a healing fruit, be healed by purring or their wounds be licked clean unless a healer is nearby. Leeches don't count as wounds.
  • Red gems: Warrior. The can have two apprentices. They fight and clear grass. They also guard the royal family if needed.
  • Pink gems: Gatherer. The most common rank, they gather food, clear grass and take care of babies if needed. Their job is relatively simple with little rules so young nichelings don't need a teacher.
  • Black gems: The lowest class. Their job is to do everything the other ranks don't want to do. They keep to themselves, and It's impossible for them to marry outside their rank.

End goal:

• The tribe needs to visit ten different islands, and get to whale island with the royal family still alive.

Let's begin!

20231231104217_1.thumb.jpg.86610d9c9ae565e7e4deae8a6560e6fb.jpg

20231231104214_1.thumb.jpg.0740650980eb36e9397b86c7e4131737.jpg

20231231104223_1.thumb.jpg.5d9be816f8b5be4ec96a24650c454413.jpg

20231231104220_1.thumb.jpg.346c1e72918daa6417aec0a65107f5fa.jpg

20231231104221_1.thumb.jpg.ef770b4495fb73fa761da52385ff2bf2.jpg

20231231104226_1.thumb.jpg.bce3f9df41bb59fa18b04efa90d72ec4.jpg

20231231104130_1.thumb.jpg.a57bb56384cc85000327b8320c431827.jpg

• Eek! 1
  • Love 1

Grass mingle (I think)

20231231104346_1.thumb.jpg.e712c0c2b908794e6247781a09b4503e.jpg

Ainijaya stepped off the soft grass of the port onto the coarse sand. It made her paws itch, and the heavy wind that was blowing didn’t help her mood either. She hated sand. Always got everywhere. The sound of the wind picking up snapped her back to reality, and as she looked up at the horizon, black clouds where boiling. A scowl fell across her face, before she composed herself and looked back. Her tribe were leaving the port and moving onto the beach, their loud chatter being whipped away by the wind. Ainijaya had walked a bit of a distance away, wanting to clear her head. She knew her shadow would follow her. Mita was as good as a shadow anyway. 

‘Do you see anywhere I could lie down and rest for a bit? Running away from an uncle that tried to assasinate you tends to leave you tired.’ Ainijaya spoke quickly and sharply. Her eyes were always flicking around. Authority was something she was born with, and her presence could be intimidating if she wanted it to be. Mita was none of those things. 

‘Behind the grass, over there by the tree.’ Mita’s voice was quiet. The two walked in silence, and once they reached the tree, Mita cleared away the grass around the nest. Ainijaya lay down with a satisfied sigh. 

‘Call the others over, we’ll rest here for a bit.’ 

Mita nodded her head and left. She walked quietly too, almost like a mouse. If anyone looked at her they would see a small, timid nicheling. The black clouds were now almost overhead. Mita cleverly picked her way through the grass so she would always be sheltered by a rock, or by a tree. Her gaze was calm and intelligent as she looked forward. Maybe The Kani underestimated her, but Mita knew her strengths.

~

20231231104541_1.thumb.jpg.bcdfa3832a0f8018b592ac5ca0ed4025.jpg

‘See anything?’ Enki’s voice drifted through the grass. Stiff as ever.

‘Let’s see, grass, grass, some grass, and I think I maybe see some grass in the distance!’ Kat replied, clawing her way through the undergrowth. She was a healer, the last thing she was meant to be doing was exploring. 

‘Try to take this seriously.’ Enki sighed, coming out of the grass beside her. ‘We need to make sure The Kani and Kanir are safe.’ Kat shook her head.

‘We’re being chased by our old tribe, who are stronger than us, have more warriors than us and are expert trackers. Safe is extremely temporary.’ Kat didn’t usually like to look on the negative side of things, but right now the positive side was so small she would probably mistake it for an ant, if she even saw it. 

‘Temporary is better than nothing. Scout to that tree and then go back to the temporary territory. I will meet you there.’ Enki said gruffly, before disappearing back into the grass. Rain gently pattered down on Kat’s fur.

‘You’re a great joy, you know that Enki?’ Kat called after him, but he was already gone. Kat sighed. Technically he was right, but she dreaded walking through the wind and rain all by herself.

Ah well.

Best get to work.

~

20231231104524_1.thumb.jpg.a67bda94ba8d3d9f86214fe4ea344205.jpg

Hu cracked open the clam, and handed it to Mita. He said thank you every time took a clam in her paws and stored the food away for later. The wind made the waves around him stronger and stronger, until he decided it was best to rejoin with the others. Mita took the last clam and hopped out of the water. She shivered slightly, the cold biting through her thin fur. 

‘Are you alright?’ Hu smiled in her general direction. He probably didn’t even know she was cold, with his thick fur. He just always asked everyone if they were okay after they finished working together. 

‘Yes.’ Mita replied simply. She never said much, and she knew Hu didn’t mind. He was the only one who would really talk to her, but that was because he was kind to everyone. Hu and Mita walked along the beach, the wind pushing them along until they reached the camp. Mita had to tell Hu they were there, and Hu went to present the clams to The Kani, while Mita walked off to help The Kanir with a cactus. He didn’t have a clue what to do with it, and Mita knew if she tried to explain it to him she would be scolded, so she sat back and waited for him to ask her.

‘We collected some clams for food this night.’ Hu put the food down. He couldn’t see the look of disgust on The Kani’s face. 

‘Do we not have berries?’ Ainijaya asked. She hated seafood, and much preferred the sweetness of a good berry. Hu remembered what Mita described to him when they entered camp. 

‘Kat found a bush, but it’s still young, and doesn’t have enough berries for the entire tribe.’

‘So me and Qirunar eat the berries and the rest of the tribe eat the clams. Now go pick them.’ Ainijaya said impatiently. Hu hesitated for half a second, before giving a small bow and walking off. He never had to deal with royals personally, but with the size of their tribe Hu knew everyone here would have to speak to the royals more often. He could only hope their old tribe weren’t too close behind them.

20231231104634_1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

20240102101219_1.thumb.jpg.891ab9e83637cc5e8c8973988ab01ed7.jpg

20240102101212_1.thumb.jpg.fc4898354fcdda6749afe81db9bd3d8b.jpg

20240102101214_1.thumb.jpg.586852f2d15d4fcf4b590263c46fce89.jpg

Ainijaya looked down with worry at her children. It’s not that she didn’t love them, she loved them very much, but there was a problem. Instead of one child, she had two. Qirunar was beside her, wearing the same expression of worry. Kat was checking them for any illnesses or weaknesses. 

‘They’re perfectly healthy!’ smiled Kat. ‘Congratulations, Kani.’

‘Which one was older?’ Ainijaya muttered, still in slight pain. A confused expression crossed Kats face.

‘Um…I’m not sure. I can’t remember.’

‘Think! If we don’t know which one is older they may have to fight for the throne when they’re older! You think I want that?! One of them could die!’ The Kani hissed at Kat, who lowered her head quickly. Qirunar anxiously swished his tail back and forth, before trying to put a comforting paw on his mates shoulder. She shook him off.

‘...The boy I think.’ Kat eventually decided. Ainijaya visibly deflated, taking a proper look at her children for the first time. They were both spitting images of their mother, the only difference being yellower fur with gray markings instead of white. They were almost identical.

‘Then the boy will be Kanir when he is older. They won’t have to fight.’ Ainijaya licked their heads, before turning to Kat, confused as to why the medicine nicheling was still there. ‘You’re dismissed.’ She nodded at Kat. Kat turned and left, seeming happy to be out of there.

‘We should name them.’ Qirunar said quickly, trying to further diffuse the tension. 

‘You’re right. The girl will be…Nikaj. And the boy…’ 

‘Ramsi?’ Qirunar proposed. ‘The name of an ancient and great warrior would suit the future Kanir.’ Ainijaya nodded, and smiled. Nikaj and Ramsi were mewling in the nest, their bright white gems starkly visible in the green moss. Nikaj attempted to climb out of the nest, before her mother grabbed her by the scruff and pulled her back in.

‘No adventuring today. You are staying in the nest.’

~

20240102101416_1.thumb.jpg.5eb7dd650b4502970f37a8f5b49af937.jpg

Hu hummed quietly to himself. It was always good to get some peace and quiet, that’s what his mother used to say. Hard to get that though, considering the young heirs were about as quiet as a thunderstorm. Mita was with him, which he forgot about every so often considering how quiet she was. He felt around the berry bush. No more berries, other than the ones at his paws. Mita took them up and said she would bring them back to camp.

‘Having a good day?’ A familiar voice purred. The owner of the voice was in front of him.

‘I am, thank y-’ Hu paused. The voice was too familiar. Kila. From his old tribe. Hu yelped and ducked down just as claws missed his face. He bolted down the way he thought everyone else was, and crashed into someone. ‘Kila! She’s here!’ He squeaked, before getting back up and running. 

‘Warrior! Get over here!’ the nicheling he crashed into screamed. Hu heard a scuffle from that direction. The Kanir. The nicheling he crashed into was the Kanir! 

‘How am I such an idiot?’ Hu groaned to himself, turning around to help the Kanir before being stopped. It was Enki’s voice that spoke.

‘Stay back.’

~

(TW: BLOOD + DEATH)

20240102101533_1.thumb.jpg.29d6c0326c568c93c441f493f99833fa.jpg

Enki dashed forward and threw Kali off The Kanir. She hissed and took a few steps back. The Kanir got to his paws and ran to a safe distance. But of course he had to turn back and watch. Enki grumbled under his breath. Kali was stock still. He moved forward, slowly, before jumping at her. She weaved expertly away, dragging a claw down his side. He hissed and aimed his tail at her head. She ducked and bowled him over. Another blow hit Enki, this time in the face. Enraged, he growled and threw her off. Kali stumbled, and before she could regain her footing, Enki’s tail hit her on the shoulder. She didn’t scream as she fell to the ground. Blood seeped into the grass. Was she pretending? Surely that couldn’t have killed her, It had been a weak strike. Just then, Kat rushed forward.

‘Wait! She could still be-’ Enki started. 

‘I’m quite sure she’s dead, and the last thing I want is you dead too.’ Kat huffed, going up to him and checking on him. 

Dead. 

He had killed someone.

Enki’s stomach turned. He had killed prey before, bearyena, even ramfoxes, but nichelings? This was part of his job, what he had to do. So then why did he feel sick to his stomach? Kat took one look at him and simply led him away, saying she had to stop his bleeding. But Kat knew all too well that her friend was just in shock.

‘Mita, please take Kila away.’ Kat called after her. It was part of Mita’s job, as the lowest rank. To clear away the dead when needed. She sighed and walked forward. Picking her up and moving her would be quite hard. A whimper broke Mita’s concentration. She turned around, and saw the young heirs in a bundle, staring at the body. The Kani and Kanir were too busy speaking of how awful it was, to notice their children staring right at the awfulness. Mita felt a pang of pity, and walked up to the children when their parents weren’t looking. She picked them both up, and put them down behind the tree, so they couldn’t see anything. 

‘She tried to hurt us. But she is gone now, so don’t worry.’ Mita whispered, before getting back to her grim work. She knew the two kids were looking at her from behind the tree.

20240102101646_1.thumb.jpg.2b2e829a585a1eec1c3b13db01c02778.jpg

~

(TW OVER) 

‘There. See? I’m better.’ Nikaj boasted, the rabbil she hunted at her paws.

‘You hunted a rabbil. Whoop.’ Ramsi deadpanned. His face quickly broke into a mischievous grin and he snatched the rabbil from his sister. 

‘Give that back!’ She jumped at him, and the two playfought before Nikaj pinned Ramsi down with one paw, and held the rabbil in the other.

‘Okay okay I get it!’ Ramsi squirmed out from under his sister’s paws. He got up and brushed himself off. ‘Besides, being a warrior isn’t everything.’ Nikaj snorted at Ramsi.

‘Wait and see. Enki will train me and then I’ll be the best warrior on the island.’ Nikaj spoke through mouthfuls of rabbil, before handing half of the rabbil over to her brother.

‘Kat will train you too.’ He pointed out. ‘Knowing how to heal and help others is very important. In my opinion, more important than fighting.’ Nikaj paused for a moment.

‘We are polar opposites.’ She grinned. ‘Maybe I should be Kani instead of you?’ Nikaj teased. She grabbed his share of the rabbil and ran off.

‘Hey!’ He huffed, before running straight after her. ‘Just so you know, I would make a great Kanir!’

20240102101744_1.thumb.jpg.49cc83079088969d532ffcd1c9e180f1.jpg

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

Not on hold, just forgot to play ahead this week and don't have any screenshots to use, so next time I'll be updating is in three days time

• Paw up 1

Three days have totally passed, I totally have not just extended it by like 2 more days

(Grass mingle)

20240112143818_1.thumb.jpg.556ffa3794e3dca7d1f93353491df34b.jpg

Mita quietly picked berries from the bush where Kila was buried, humming to herself. It had been a few weeks since the incident, and things had quietened down again. A small rustle in the bushes alerted her to someone else being nearby. She pricked up her left ear, but other than that, she kept picking berries. She was sure of who it was. Or who they were. A small smile crossed her face as another rustle sounded, closer this time. This one was from her right. Then, quick as a flash she was bowled over and pinned down, and the berries she was picking were snatched from her before she dropped them. She laughed softly, which for her was already a deep display of emotion.

‘I heard you both.’ Mita smiled as she got up, Nikaj getting off her.

‘We were very quiet. You musn’t have. Probably a bird.’ Ramsi said slowly, his brows furrowed. Mita knew he was trying to remember exactly where he and his sister made a sound. 

‘I know what I heard, Ramsi.’ Mita shook her head gently, still smiling. ‘Though I will tell you that I heard Nikaj first, not you.’

Ramsi smiled smugly at his sister, who huffed and turned to Mita.

‘Here are your berries.’ Nikaj grabbed the berries off Ramsi, who had snatched them from Mita earlier. ‘We’ll get better.’ Nikaj had a broad grin, that most of the time meant: come fight me. But when she smiled at Mita, it was much more soft. Ramsi was the thinker of the two, his brow usually furrowed in concentration, but now he also smiled, and nodded at what Nikaj said.

‘They’re not my berries though. They’re your parent’s.’ Mita’s smile faded. She knew she shouldn’t even be talking to the heirs so frankly. She should be referring to them by their titles, not their names. Ramsi frowned and sorted the berries into two piles, one bigger, one smaller. 

‘That ones yours’ Ramsi pointed at the smaller pile. ‘This one is our parent’s.’ He pointed at the big pile. Mita’s ears flattened against the top of her head. 

‘No it’s not. This isn’t mine. I am a lower rank, It’s not my place.’ Mita shuffled uncomfortably. Despite her best efforts, she had gotten attached to the twins. And they had gotten attached to her, it seemed. 

‘Well we’re giving them to you. And to make sure you don’t give them back…’ Nikaj grinned, and snatched the bigger pile and ran. Ramsi’s eyes widened for a second and then he followed his sister. The surprise made Mita pause for a second, before she smiled again.

‘Thank you!’ She called back, as loud as she could.

Enki frowned at the rock in front of him. There were far too many things blocking his view in this camp for him to ever be comfortable in it. He was still troubled by Kila, but he managed to push it to the corner of his mind for now. 

‘I smell bearyena.’ He said to Kat. It was more than he usually said, but not by much. 

‘You have a nose, then.’ Kat flicked her tail in the direction she also smelled the bearyena in. This didn’t look good. ‘Do we tell the Kani and Kanir or do we leave it?’

‘Since when did you become a warrior?’ Enki said gruffly, walking back to Kat’s side. Nothing could be done about the rock, at least for now. 

‘Since now. I’m super talented.’ She smiled at him, and Enki couldn’t help but give her a small smile back. Kat was definitely a jokester, and usually Enki didn’t like that. Somehow he managed to tolerate Kat. The scent of bearyena became stronger, and they both quickened their pace. A scream pierced the calm evening air, and they broke into a run. Enki crashed out of the bushes and ran right towards the Kani. Qirunar had jumped in front of Ainijaya to shield her from the bearyena, but he wasn’t very good at it, cowering in front of the large creature. Enki shot forward and shoved him out of the way. Qirunar gave a surprised yelp as he fell, and Enki ignored him. It was for the Kanir’s own good. The bearyena growled, and crouched readying to jump forward. Enki was setting his stance, ready to fight back…

‘Take this you filthy animal!’ Kat screamed as she bodily threw herself at the beast. Enki balked, cursed under his breath and ran to help her out. The bearyena shook her off and raised a claw to tear her apart, but all it managed to do was keel over and die, Enki standing behind it truimphantly. ‘I had that under control.’ Kat said breathlessly, but she ran over and hugged him as thanks regardless. He was stiff for a second, but he let her hug him for a grand total of four seconds before shoving her off. Not unkindly, but in the way Enki usually did. 

‘Okay, we still have a job to do.’ He walked over to Ainijaya and Qirunir, who were visibly shaken. 

‘A job that you are not fulfilling, apparently!’ Ainijaya hissed. Enki lowered his head, ears flat against it. ‘How am I to trust you with educating my children if you can’t even keep the camp safe! You- ‘ She stopped herself for a breath, visibly trying to contain her anger. Her face was drawn, and her anger made her gaze colder than usual. 

‘I apologize. It will not happen again.’ Enki muttered, staring at the ground before the Kani’s feet, like a child being scolded. He opened his mouth to say more, before thinking better of it, staying quiet. 

‘It better not.’ Ainijaya snapped. ‘And you.’ She whipped around to face Kat. Kat was, as always, unafraid, but she too had her head bowed. ‘You are meant to be a healer, not a crazy nicheling who goes around attacking bearyena. I will let you off this time, because we do not have enough warriors to protect ourselves, but I won’t be so light on you next time.’ 

For once Kat stopped herself from saying something stupid. By now some others had gathered to see what had happened, and Kat secretly felt pride at being able to help defend her clan. Even if they were ungrateful.

20240112143659_1.thumb.jpg.413d14688aa1d39ad02ed5c8853bbfaa.jpg

• Like 1

Just now, Stranger said:

Three days have totally passed, I totally have not just extended it by like 2 more days

(Grass mingle)

20240112143818_1.thumb.jpg.556ffa3794e3dca7d1f93353491df34b.jpg

Mita quietly picked berries from the bush where Kila was buried, humming to herself. It had been a few weeks since the incident, and things had quietened down again. A small rustle in the bushes alerted her to someone else being nearby. She pricked up her left ear, but other than that, she kept picking berries. She was sure of who it was. Or who they were. A small smile crossed her face as another rustle sounded, closer this time. This one was from her right. Then, quick as a flash she was bowled over and pinned down, and the berries she was picking were snatched from her before she dropped them. She laughed softly, which for her was already a deep display of emotion.

‘I heard you both.’ Mita smiled as she got up, Nikaj getting off her.

‘We were very quiet. You musn’t have. Probably a bird.’ Ramsi said slowly, his brows furrowed. Mita knew he was trying to remember exactly where he and his sister made a sound. 

‘I know what I heard, Ramsi.’ Mita shook her head gently, still smiling. ‘Though I will tell you that I heard Nikaj first, not you.’

Ramsi smiled smugly at his sister, who huffed and turned to Mita.

‘Here are your berries.’ Nikaj grabbed the berries off Ramsi, who had snatched them from Mita earlier. ‘We’ll get better.’ Nikaj had a broad grin, that most of the time meant: come fight me. But when she smiled at Mita, it was much more soft. Ramsi was the thinker of the two, his brow usually furrowed in concentration, but now he also smiled, and nodded at what Nikaj said.

‘They’re not my berries though. They’re your parent’s.’ Mita’s smile faded. She knew she shouldn’t even be talking to the heirs so frankly. She should be referring to them by their titles, not their names. Ramsi frowned and sorted the berries into two piles, one bigger, one smaller. 

‘That ones yours’ Ramsi pointed at the smaller pile. ‘This one is our parent’s.’ He pointed at the big pile. Mita’s ears flattened against the top of her head. 

‘No it’s not. This isn’t mine. I am a lower rank, It’s not my place.’ Mita shuffled uncomfortably. Despite her best efforts, she had gotten attached to the twins. And they had gotten attached to her, it seemed. 

‘Well we’re giving them to you. And to make sure you don’t give them back…’ Nikaj grinned, and snatched the bigger pile and ran. Ramsi’s eyes widened for a second and then he followed his sister. The surprise made Mita pause for a second, before she smiled again.

‘Thank you!’ She called back, as loud as she could.

Enki frowned at the rock in front of him. There were far too many things blocking his view in this camp for him to ever be comfortable in it. He was still troubled by Kila, but he managed to push it to the corner of his mind for now. 

‘I smell bearyena.’ He said to Kat. It was more than he usually said, but not by much. 

‘You have a nose, then.’ Kat flicked her tail in the direction she also smelled the bearyena in. This didn’t look good. ‘Do we tell the Kani and Kanir or do we leave it?’

‘Since when did you become a warrior?’ Enki said gruffly, walking back to Kat’s side. Nothing could be done about the rock, at least for now. 

‘Since now. I’m super talented.’ She smiled at him, and Enki couldn’t help but give her a small smile back. Kat was definitely a jokester, and usually Enki didn’t like that. Somehow he managed to tolerate Kat. The scent of bearyena became stronger, and they both quickened their pace. A scream pierced the calm evening air, and they broke into a run. Enki crashed out of the bushes and ran right towards the Kani. Qirunar had jumped in front of Ainijaya to shield her from the bearyena, but he wasn’t very good at it, cowering in front of the large creature. Enki shot forward and shoved him out of the way. Qirunar gave a surprised yelp as he fell, and Enki ignored him. It was for the Kanir’s own good. The bearyena growled, and crouched readying to jump forward. Enki was setting his stance, ready to fight back…

‘Take this you filthy animal!’ Kat screamed as she bodily threw herself at the beast. Enki balked, cursed under his breath and ran to help her out. The bearyena shook her off and raised a claw to tear her apart, but all it managed to do was keel over and die, Enki standing behind it truimphantly. ‘I had that under control.’ Kat said breathlessly, but she ran over and hugged him as thanks regardless. He was stiff for a second, but he let her hug him for a grand total of four seconds before shoving her off. Not unkindly, but in the way Enki usually did. 

‘Okay, we still have a job to do.’ He walked over to Ainijaya and Qirunir, who were visibly shaken. 

‘A job that you are not fulfilling, apparently!’ Ainijaya hissed. Enki lowered his head, ears flat against it. ‘How am I to trust you with educating my children if you can’t even keep the camp safe! You- ‘ She stopped herself for a breath, visibly trying to contain her anger. Her face was drawn, and her anger made her gaze colder than usual. 

‘I apologize. It will not happen again.’ Enki muttered, staring at the ground before the Kani’s feet, like a child being scolded. He opened his mouth to say more, before thinking better of it, staying quiet. 

‘It better not.’ Ainijaya snapped. ‘And you.’ She whipped around to face Kat. Kat was, as always, unafraid, but she too had her head bowed. ‘You are meant to be a healer, not a crazy nicheling who goes around attacking bearyena. I will let you off this time, because we do not have enough warriors to protect ourselves, but I won’t be so light on you next time.’ 

For once Kat stopped herself from saying something stupid. By now some others had gathered to see what had happened, and Kat secretly felt pride at being able to help defend her clan. Even if they were ungrateful.

20240112143659_1.thumb.jpg.413d14688aa1d39ad02ed5c8853bbfaa.jpg

Ignore Hu lol

• Paw up 1

A quick fact on the names in this world:

Wanderers with no clan will be given names that mean something, like 'Moon' 'Duck' 'Pebble' that sort of thing, but I'll be translating the name into any random language I can think of.

Clan nichelings have totally made up names.

As always you can suggest any names you want

48 minutes ago, Stranger said:

A quick fact on the names in this world:

Wanderers with no clan will be given names that mean something, like 'Moon' 'Duck' 'Pebble' that sort of thing, but I'll be translating the name into any random language I can think of.

Clan nichelings have totally made up names.

As always you can suggest any names you want

oki i have suggestions

-Zorro (Fox in Spanish) 

-Estrella (Star in Spanish)

-Isla (Island in Spanish) 

• Love 1

(Grass mingle)

20240112143931_1.thumb.jpg.a5eef4acef2ecedeac5e18a252139645.jpg

‘Focus, please.’ Kat sighed. She knew this was going to be a long day the moment she saw Nikaj wake up in a grumpy mood, but she didn’t expect it to be this long. 

‘I am focusing.’ Nikaj growled, lashing her tail. In her paw she held the herb that Kat was trying to teach them about. 

‘It’s simple, you tear up the herb and soak it in water, before crushing it into paste with berries and waiting three days, before dipping it into water once more, wrapping it in Jefa leaf, before giving it to the patient. It’s simple, Nikaj.’ Kat liked to think of herself as relatively patient with kids, but Nikaj was much harder to deal with than the little children in her old clan.

‘Simple to you.’ Nikaj rolled her eyes. Ramsi glanced nervously between the two. He was definitely the more calm one. ‘I have something to do. Bye.’ She got up and walked off in huff, leaving the herb on the ground.

‘Are you going to listen to me, at least?’ Kat sighed drily. The Kanir tasked her with teaching the children, but she couldn’t handle even that, apparently. Ramsi glanced at his sister, before taking a small step after her. 

‘Sorry. I’ll be back, I promise.’ Ramsi said apolegetically, before trotting after his sister. Those two were inseparable. Ramsi was the calm, quiet, clever one, while Nikaj was loud, boisterous, and always up for a good laugh. She was intelligent in her own way too, but so far Kat hadnt seen a real reason to praise her. She never worked to learn anything, and it seemed she only took lessons from Kat because her parents told her to. Kat sighed again. She knew those two were off to spend time with Mita. Kat didn’t understand it. The rank difference was insane, they shouldn’t even be looking at Mita. It’s not that Kat didn’t like Mita, but rules were rules, and Mita was the rank that she was because her family had done something treasonous. 

‘You were just like her you know.’ Enki’s voice snapped Kat out of her thoughts. She scrunched her face up.

‘I was not.’ 

‘I remember. Do I need to remind you of the time you told the Kayan himself that he needs to be more respectful, because he told you your herb paste needed more work?’ Enki had one of his rare smiles on his face.

‘That was fully justified though.’ Kats face burned. She turned around to face him. ‘I honestly don’t know what’s bugging her.’ Enki shrugged.

‘You’ll figure it out.’

‘You are such a huge help, thank you so much.’ Kat snorted, but she couldn’t help but smile at him. Enki had been her friend since day one, and even though they were polar opposites, they understood each other. Maybe that’s what Nikaj needed too. 

20240112144011_1.thumb.jpg.2adee409a29ccd4db2757ab5bbe31e4d.jpg

~

Mita was troubled. She was on her way to the Kani and Kanir to clear away anything they wouldn’t want anymore. Old bedding, rotten food, twigs and branches that were blown in. That sort of thing. But that wasn’t what was troubling her. The twins tailing her were the trouble. Nikaj walked quietly, which was extremely unusual for her. Ramsi was walking beside her, and Mita slowed down to get beside her as well.

‘Are you guys gonna tell me that the islands gonna blow up or something? You both look like Ainijaya.’ Nikaj attempted a joke, but it fell flat. 

‘You can talk to me if somethings wrong.’ Mita said calmly. She had admitted it to herself a while back. These two might not be her children, but she would never let anything bad happen to them if she could help it.

‘And me!’ Ramsi piped up.

‘Nothings wrong.’ Nikaj rolled her eyes, but her paws were dragging on the floor. Mita raised an eyebrow silently. ‘Okay, okay fine! I’m just…worried. I’m meant to be learning all this stuff as a royal, but I don’t understand a single thing Kat says, Enki is always saying I’m too reckless, and Hu always talks to me like I’m some little kid who needs everything explained to them! And on top of that, I’ve been feeling watched for the past few days. Like someone’s looking at me. Ramsi feels it too.’

‘Nikaj…none of this means you’re not good enough. And have you tried telling your parents about being…watched?’ Mita’s voice was soft.

‘She’d just laugh me off, I-’

‘Laugh off what?’ Ainijaya looked up at her daughter. She hadn’t realised they’d already reached home. Mita immediately glanced down and waited to be dismissed. With a nod of the Kanirs head, Ramsi and Nikaj were on their own. There was no choice but to explain it. The Kani’s eyes narrowed. 

‘Go tell the warrior to guard more carefully now. I don’t want anyone to sneak up on us.’ Ainijaya’s eyes flicked around the clearing, before resting on her children. They softened a little. ‘And when you’re done, you can come back here and rest a little, okay?’

‘Okay mom.’ Ramsi and Nikaj went off to find Enki. ‘Okay, I wasn’t expecting her to believe us.’

‘Easier for us then.’ Nikaj grinned, back to her usual self now that she had gotten everything off her chest. The two didn’t notice a yellow nicheling watching them from the bushes.

20240112144201_1.thumb.jpg.6821b169106bbfe1055734cbe6d856b0.jpg

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah this is like super on hold at the moment, but pretty important exams are happening irl right now, so I may not be able to continue this for another week. After that I'll probably be able to continue. Maybe. 

• Paw up 1

(I had some spare time today, so here is an update)

Grass mingle (I think)

20240112144315_1.thumb.jpg.3f9b57b267683c223f680dc032fd9800.jpg

Qirunar swished his tail nervously. Usually Ainijaya did things like this, considering she was Kani from birth, while he only became Kanir through marrying her. He wasn’t instructed on all this court etiquette. 

‘Very well. You two have my blessing.’ Qirunar tried to smile at the couple in front of him. They were well suited for each other, but definately unexpected. But then again, Enki and Kat knew each other since they were young, so it made sense.

‘Thank you Kanir.’ Kat grinned, and the two gave a small bow and walked away. Qirunar found it a bit silly that nichelings needed their leaders permission to marry and have children, but maybe that was to control population size. His tail kept swishing back and forth. It was hard to be happy for them, considering he and Ainijaya were being hunted relentlessly, and that meant their children were in danger as well.

‘How are you feeling, Jay?’ Qirunar walked up to Ainijaya, a small smile on his face in an attempt to make her feel better. When the Kani was in a foul mood, little could change that. And when she was sick, she was always in a foul mood.

‘How do you think?’ She rasped. There was the usual irritation in her voice, but also something else. 

‘I was only checking.’ mumbled Qirunar, turning to leave.

‘Wait. Don’t go.’ She didn’t say it in the way a sick person said it, someone who didn’t want to be left alone. She said it almost fearfully. Then Qirunar understood.

‘I-I’ll go get Nikaj or Ramsi to keep you company.’ He threw behind him, quickening his pace. She didn’t say anything to that. Qirunar had never been a good actor. He could only hope that he was convincing enough now, or his mate could lose her life. Once he knew he was out of view, he ran to get Enki. Enki raced back to help the Kani, but by then Qirunar was out of breath, not used to all this running. He staggered back, and was met with the body of a yellow nicheling. His stomach turned. A warrior, like Enki. Ainijaya was backed away, panting, while Enki stood regaining his breath. He was swaying quite a bit though. 

‘That nicheling wanted to bring as much of the royal family here as she could before she killed us all. She told me as much when caught me earlier. Clever, but not clever enough.’ Ainijaya muttered, breath finally stabilizing. Enki however, fell over, and it was only then that Qirunar noticed he was bleeding.

20240112144355_1.thumb.jpg.5218e5d9a5cc3132ee7143fafa8188ee.jpg

~

20240112144630_1.thumb.jpg.7789a3131db63cc107cfce30cc6c2cc6.jpg

20240112144634_1.thumb.jpg.d4f9c2c58108613aebbf753f828033c8.jpg

Kiji babbled at the sky, waving her tiny paws in front of her. It was all so big! A rabbil on the path ahead darted into the bushes, and Kiji wondered if she would be big enough to catch a rabbil one day. She hoped so. 

‘Keep still, you spiky little thing.’ Kiji’s mothers voice was muffled by the fact that Kiji was being carried by her. 

‘I can carry her.’ Her fathers calm, albeit a bit gruff voice floated over. Kiji squeaked, just to tell them she was part of the conversation as well. 

‘No you can’t. You need to rest and recover, grumpy.’ mam said to dad.

‘You’re the healer.’ dad smiled slightly, but Kiji could see he was a bit hurt. He winced everytime he put weight on one paw. Kiji mewed unhappily. She still didn’t understand why he was hurt. She once hurt herself, when a burr found its way into her nest. It was very spiky, and she tried to bat it away, but ended up cutting her small, soft paw. Maybe her dad got spiked by a burr as well?

‘Almost there Kiji. The beach is beautiful, I know you’ll love it!’ mam smiled. Kiji didn’t know what a ‘the beach’ was, but it sounded exciting. She babbled happily to herself as the small family made their way to the shore.

~

Mita walked through the soft grasses, Hu right behind her, her tail gently clamped between his jaws. The wind was strong this close to the sea, and it was best for Hu to not fall into the water and drown. 

‘How close are we?’ Hu mumbled.

‘Close.’ Mita replied quietly. As always. She heard Hu sigh. He was naturally talkative, so spending time with someone who barely said a word must be painful. Mita realised with a small pang of guilt that he still went out of his way to talk to her anyway. ‘Nikaj and Ramsi are already at the port. They went ahead.’ Mita added in an attempt to make Hu’s ordeal less painful.

‘Those two mean a lot to you, don’t they?’ Hu asked. He was nosy too. Talkative and nosy.

‘They do. I can’t have my own children, so caring for them is important to me.’ 

‘I still think It’s an awful punishment. Being demoted to that rank I mean.’ Hu said a lot of things, and Mita knew he meant well, but it made her feel like someone to be pitied whenever someone spoke like that to her. She didn’t like it.

‘It’s how things are. My family committed treason. It would be worse if we were all executed.’ Mita said, doing her best to end the conversation.

‘If its not too invasive, could I ask what did your family do…?’

‘You can ask.’ Mita immediately went back to being quiet. Technically Hu was higher rank, so she shouldn’t talk to him like this, but she knew he pitied her too much to ever report her for this. Her grandmother didn’t do anything too serious, just openly disagreed with any type of monarchy or caste system. The nobility didn’t like that kind of talk, and demoted her grandmother and her entire family to the lowest rank to keep them quiet. Mita had only been a child back then. Everyday she wondered what life could be like if things were different. 

‘This way.’ Mita said. They had reached the flower port. Pink flowers blossomed across the entire port, filling the air with the heady scent of pollen. Petals flew through the air and landed in the bright blue sea. It was a picture from paradise. Mita hated to say it, but she would miss this island. Too bad they had to leave.

20240112144834_1.thumb.jpg.7d66795f3ac7ad6be9cd51b26ab0f9f1.jpg

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Ok so. I have miscalculated. You know the way this story is based on monarchy and a caste system, which I find interesting? Yeah well when I made this I had a brief misplacement of brain and forgot I hated both monarchies and caste systems, even if they are kind of interesting. And I'm writing a story about them. But I don't want to give up on this playthrough so early, since I haven't really had time to get attached to the characters. SO, my solution is to keep going, but don't be surprised if this playthrough ends up going haywire, and some completely insane stuff happens with the monarchy aspect.

• Paw up 1

(Blame CosmicChaos21 for the update, I got inspired fr. Still a short update though)

Grass mingle (I think)

Kiji bounded after a pretty purple butterfly, her legs and paws stronger than when she was little. The colourful thing flew higher, and fluttered away, much to Kiji’s disappointment. It was a game between her and the butterflies. I’ll get you one day, you know. Kiji glared at the butterfly for a moment, wondering if it could read her thoughts. Apparently not. The purple insect had by now faded into the distance, and with a twist of her stomach, Kiji realised this might be the last time she ever played this game. Her little sister, Vayka, was going to be old enough to travel soon. And that meant leaving the island. Kiji huffed at nothing, and pawed at the soft grass below her, knowing that she was just stalling for time. 

‘Well, this way Kiji. To the beach!’ Kiji said in an attempt to cheer herself up. She flinched at how it sounded, a lonely voice in an empty clearing. Look at how you sound! Might as well tell the butterflies you have no friends, at least that’s not talking to yourself. ‘Quiet, Kiji.’ She muttered at no one in particular. It was at times like these she missed her Dad. He always had something sensible to say. But wounds catch up with you, especially when you’re old. 

‘There you are! You’re always off wandering. Vayka missed you.’ The cheery voice of her Mom, Kat, snapped Kiji out of her own glum thoughts.

‘She’s a bit young to miss nichelings, I think.’ Kiji looked down at the spiky little nicheling that was so similar to her, it was kind of creepy. Vayka just babbled up at her older sister, a wide smile on her face.

‘You never know. You were a very strange child, she could be the same.’ Mom fed a berry to Vayka, and gave one to Kiji. 

‘If you tell me one more time about the day I tried to eat The Kani’s tail, we aren’t speaking.’ Kiji smiled and batted her Mom with her tail. She loved her family, but it wasn’t the same as having a friend her age, who she could relate to. Even though she had people who loved her, she was still lonely, and she hated that. She hoped she would meet someone new on the next island, someone who could stop her feeling so alone.

20240112145055_1.thumb.jpg.8f6dda783ff4a62e7a6cbeb891f836d7.jpg

20240112145041_1(1).thumb.jpg.7cbf150b586f3a584e0d2b5dea43f20b.jpg

~

Wind ruffled Ramsi’s thick fur as he looked out over the small group of nichelings. Everyone was milling about on the ports, ready to finally leave. Unease tangled in his heart, about the move, but about other things as well. Specifically he and his sister. 

‘Behind you, you dolt!’ Nikaj roared, before decking him in one swift move. Her broad grin blocked out the sun as she loomed over him, one paw on his three white gems. ‘You are so useless. I bet you’ll die in like the first three days of us being on the new island.’

‘Nika-’

‘No wait, make that two. You look like a two-dayer right now.’ 

‘Nikaj!’ He rolled his eyes at her and shoved her off, but she just expertly bounced away, laughing loudly. There was no venom in their voices, they had been teasing each other like this since they were kids. 

‘Not my fault you can’t protect your back.’ She shrugged. 

‘Not fair. You were always bigger and stronger than me. I still don’t know why you’re not the one inheriting the tribe.’ As soon as the words crossed Ramsi’s mouth, he wanted to take them back. He felt like an idiot for bringing up something that has always been a sore topic between them. A shadow of jealousy flickered in his sisters eyes for a moment, her smile going cold, before she blinked and suddenly her smile was as it was earlier. 

‘I don’t want the stupid tribe anyway. Now come on, let’s go help the parents organise stuff, they’re not exactly youngsters anymore. And apparently you’re supposed to be good at this stuff.’ Nikaj turned and walked, Ramsi following close behind.

‘Apparently.’ Ramsi smiled. He followed, and not a day later, the tribe was hopping across the stones to a land unknown.

20240112145136_1.thumb.jpg.80a23ccab068dfff8daac54bcf06f70d.jpg

• Eek! 1

27 minutes ago, Stranger said:

(Blame CosmicChaos21 for the update, I got inspired fr. Still a short update though)

Grass mingle (I think)

Kiji bounded after a pretty purple butterfly, her legs and paws stronger than when she was little. The colourful thing flew higher, and fluttered away, much to Kiji’s disappointment. It was a game between her and the butterflies. I’ll get you one day, you know. Kiji glared at the butterfly for a moment, wondering if it could read her thoughts. Apparently not. The purple insect had by now faded into the distance, and with a twist of her stomach, Kiji realised this might be the last time she ever played this game. Her little sister, Vayka, was going to be old enough to travel soon. And that meant leaving the island. Kiji huffed at nothing, and pawed at the soft grass below her, knowing that she was just stalling for time. 

‘Well, this way Kiji. To the beach!’ Kiji said in an attempt to cheer herself up. She flinched at how it sounded, a lonely voice in an empty clearing. Look at how you sound! Might as well tell the butterflies you have no friends, at least that’s not talking to yourself. ‘Quiet, Kiji.’ She muttered at no one in particular. It was at times like these she missed her Dad. He always had something sensible to say. But wounds catch up with you, especially when you’re old. 

‘There you are! You’re always off wandering. Vayka missed you.’ The cheery voice of her Mom, Kat, snapped Kiji out of her own glum thoughts.

‘She’s a bit young to miss nichelings, I think.’ Kiji looked down at the spiky little nicheling that was so similar to her, it was kind of creepy. Vayka just babbled up at her older sister, a wide smile on her face.

‘You never know. You were a very strange child, she could be the same.’ Mom fed a berry to Vayka, and gave one to Kiji. 

‘If you tell me one more time about the day I tried to eat The Kani’s tail, we aren’t speaking.’ Kiji smiled and batted her Mom with her tail. She loved her family, but it wasn’t the same as having a friend her age, who she could relate to. Even though she had people who loved her, she was still lonely, and she hated that. She hoped she would meet someone new on the next island, someone who could stop her feeling so alone.

20240112145055_1.thumb.jpg.8f6dda783ff4a62e7a6cbeb891f836d7.jpg

20240112145041_1(1).thumb.jpg.7cbf150b586f3a584e0d2b5dea43f20b.jpg

~

Wind ruffled Ramsi’s thick fur as he looked out over the small group of nichelings. Everyone was milling about on the ports, ready to finally leave. Unease tangled in his heart, about the move, but about other things as well. Specifically he and his sister. 

‘Behind you, you dolt!’ Nikaj roared, before decking him in one swift move. Her broad grin blocked out the sun as she loomed over him, one paw on his three white gems. ‘You are so useless. I bet you’ll die in like the first three days of us being on the new island.’

‘Nika-’

‘No wait, make that two. You look like a two-dayer right now.’ 

‘Nikaj!’ He rolled his eyes at her and shoved her off, but she just expertly bounced away, laughing loudly. There was no venom in their voices, they had been teasing each other like this since they were kids. 

‘Not my fault you can’t protect your back.’ She shrugged. 

‘Not fair. You were always bigger and stronger than me. I still don’t know why you’re not the one inheriting the tribe.’ As soon as the words crossed Ramsi’s mouth, he wanted to take them back. He felt like an idiot for bringing up something that has always been a sore topic between them. A shadow of jealousy flickered in his sisters eyes for a moment, her smile going cold, before she blinked and suddenly her smile was as it was earlier. 

‘I don’t want the stupid tribe anyway. Now come on, let’s go help the parents organise stuff, they’re not exactly youngsters anymore. And apparently you’re supposed to be good at this stuff.’ Nikaj turned and walked, Ramsi following close behind.

‘Apparently.’ Ramsi smiled. He followed, and not a day later, the tribe was hopping across the stones to a land unknown.

20240112145136_1.thumb.jpg.80a23ccab068dfff8daac54bcf06f70d.jpg

NOOOOOOO ENKI

8 hours ago, Andromeda_ said:

NOOOOOOO ENKI

His fight with the yellow nicheling gave him a lot of damage and then he just died 😭😭😭

The others are actually pretty old now as well aaaaa

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2024 at 3:08 PM, Stranger said:

Happy New Year everyone, I've been wanting to make another playthrough for a little while now and it just so happened that I'm starting it on New Year's :). This will basically be a royalty challenge (CosmicChaos21 I came up with this idea independently but I know you posted a royal challenge playthrough just before me, so let me know If you're alright with me also doing a royal challenge), but with a few new rules.

Rules:

• This tribe are outcasts from their old tribe, being hunted down. The royals from their old tribe want to get rid of the outcasts so they don't come back and try to retake the throne. Because they are being chased, this tribe cannot stay on an island for more than thirty days. 
  • To prevent myself from just island-hopping, I need to stay on an island for at least 25 days before moving.
  • When I meet a wanderer I roll a random number generator between 1 and 5. 1-3= The wanderer is part of the old tribe and is sent by them to attack the current tribe. The nicheling that discovered the wanderer must fight them or run.  (use commands to damage the tribe nicheling if a fight happens). 4 = The nicheling is just a wanderer but will not join the tribe for fear of their safety. 5 = The nicheling is just a wanderer and is happy to join the tribe.
  • If I meet a wanderer that is a baby or child I can ignore the above rule and invite them.
  • When someone displeases the royalty then they get a strike. Each nicheling can have three strikes before they're exiled. 
  • Higher rank postions such as healer, warrior, or royal, need to be mentored. Once a nicheling gains their second gem they are assigned a teacher from their same rank. Royals need a warrior, a healer and another royal (preferably extended family) to teach them.

Random stuff: 

• The Queen is called the 'Kani'
  • The King is called the 'Kanir'
  • The Princess is called the 'Kaya'
  • The prince is called the 'Kayan'
  • Nichelings are born into their rank. This is almost impossible to change unless they marry someone who is higher rank than them. A lower ranked nicheling takes their mates rank when they marry.

Ranks:

• White gems: Royalty. They can have one apprentice. The close members of the royal family all have white gems. The cousins of the current monarch by blood are still royalty but the cousins children are not.
  • Blue gems: Healer. They can have one apprentice. They are the next most important, and are treated well. A nicheling cannot eat a healing fruit, be healed by purring or their wounds be licked clean unless a healer is nearby. Leeches don't count as wounds.
  • Red gems: Warrior. The can have two apprentices. They fight and clear grass. They also guard the royal family if needed.
  • Pink gems: Gatherer. The most common rank, they gather food, clear grass and take care of babies if needed. Their job is relatively simple with little rules so young nichelings don't need a teacher.
  • Black gems: The lowest class. Their job is to do everything the other ranks don't want to do. They keep to themselves, and It's impossible for them to marry outside their rank.

End goal:

• The tribe needs to visit ten different islands, and get to whale island with the royal family still alive.

Let's begin!

20231231104217_1.thumb.jpg.86610d9c9ae565e7e4deae8a6560e6fb.jpg

20231231104214_1.thumb.jpg.0740650980eb36e9397b86c7e4131737.jpg

20231231104223_1.thumb.jpg.5d9be816f8b5be4ec96a24650c454413.jpg

20231231104220_1.thumb.jpg.346c1e72918daa6417aec0a65107f5fa.jpg

20231231104221_1.thumb.jpg.ef770b4495fb73fa761da52385ff2bf2.jpg

20231231104226_1.thumb.jpg.bce3f9df41bb59fa18b04efa90d72ec4.jpg

20231231104130_1.thumb.jpg.a57bb56384cc85000327b8320c431827.jpg

I'm changing the wanderer joining the pack chance to 1-3: is from the old pack, and is hostile. 4-5: Willing to join

Because I need more wanderers

• Paw up 1

(Tiny green?)

20240301175033_1.thumb.jpg.8dec821e1b268406fcfc0593befd35e9.jpg

Wind whipped in Vayka’s face as she stepped off the stones, glaring at the grasses ahead of her. Honestly, they looked suspicious. She touched the red gems on her chest for luck, before walking forward to scout the way. The sound of someone clearing their throat made her turn around again.

‘Did I tell you you could leave?’ The Kani’s voice was cold and sharp, as usual. 

‘I’m the warrior, I need to go scout…’ Mumbled Vayka, playing the part of a scared little nicheling. It was what her mother told her to do. That temper of yours will get you into a lot of trouble someday. The Kani scoffed, and Vayka’s mask of obedience slipped slightly, frustration flashing in her eyes.

‘You think I don’t know that? You are still a child. Kiji is older than you, so I’m sending her.’ 

‘Kiji is a medic!’ Vayka snapped, before immediately regretting it. The Kani’s eyes narrowed, fixing her with an ice cold glare. Vayka could only wait for some punishment to be given to her, but a blur of spots blocked her vision. Her mother stood in front of her, bowing to the Kani.

‘I apologise for my daughter, really, she doesn’t know what she’s saying.’ Kat bowed as low as she could. It was completely opposite of how she usually acted, loud and unapologetic. I do know what I’m saying, actually. Vayka managed to hold her tongue.

‘Very well.’ The Kani said after a long silence, before stalking off to sit in the flowers. Kat turned around, a stormy expression on her face. 

‘Kiji, go scout out the area.’ Kat called to her eldest daughter. Kiji nodded once, leaving quickly. She muttered something to herself before shaking her head. Vayka hoped that would distract her mother, but it was hopeless. ‘Do those spikes on your back grow into your head Vayka, stopping you from thinking? I already warned you so many times. The Kani will only let you off the hook so many times before she loses her patience!’

Vayka flinched at her mothers scolding, but when she looked up, her mothers eyes were filled with worry as well as anger. She managed to mutter out a short apology. She wasn’t even finished speaking when her mother pulled her into a warm hug. Vayka squirmed, but Kat didn’t let go. Eventually Vayka gave up, resting her head against her mother.

‘I can’t lose you, do you understand?’ Kat’s voice was quiet. Vayka nodded once, and Kat let her go. A cough rattled her mothers body just as Vayka stepped away.

‘Mom? Are you okay?’ She laid a paw on her mothers.

‘Fine. A cough’s been going around, nearly everyone has it. It doesn’t look dangerous.’ Vayka nodded and looked at the tribe, everyone was going about their business now, the tall grasses looming over them. She went back to glaring at the grass, as if that would change her situation somehow.

~

Zorro ambled through the grass, munching slowly on a big, fat rabbil. Well, it did die a few days ago, so it wasn’t exactly tasty, but it was better than nothing. He had lived on this island his whole life, and he had never much wanted for food. Disease was common here, killing rabbils, birds, nichelings and even bearyena. If you weren’t immune, you were done for. Thankfully, Zorro was immune. A rustle in the grasses caught his attention, and he lay low, straining his ears. Thanks to his eyes not working, he had to rely on smell and hearing. A humming reached his ears. It abruptly stopped, a few words being said, before starting back up again. Strangely enough, Zorro only heard one nicheling, their pawsteps light. He decided to chance it. 

‘Hiya, I don’t think I’ve met you before, considering no one lives on this island but me. Speaking of, why are you on my island?’ Zorro stood tall, walking out of the bushes. The last thing he wanted were a bunch of intruders. A startled yelp came from the nichelings direction before they answered.

‘Hi! Um, we had to leave our island because we were being chased. We’ll leave this one soon, don’t worry.’ She paused for a moment. ‘My names Kiji, what’s your name?’ 

‘Zorro.’ He grinned, trying to make himself less scary, considering the fact that the way he greeted her wasn’t exactly kind. From her voice, she was definitely a child. ‘Are your parents around?’

‘My mothers back at camp. I can take you there if you want. We kind of need new members, and I’m sure the Kani will be h-’

‘Wait. Kani? You’re a monarchy?’ Zorro frowned. The only tribe he had heard of like that was a huge one on an island of plenty. They wouldn’t move to an island like this by choice.

‘Well, exiled, but…’ Kiji’s voice faded. Suddenly, Zorro let out a loud laugh.

‘Fair enough, I’ll come with you. Being in a tribe couldn’t hurt.’ An exiled monarchy! It seemed strange to him, but a tribe so desperate for new members would surely offer good food and protection. Zorro walked in the direction of Kiji’s voice. She led him back to camp, while excitedly asking weird questions and chattering way too much.

20240301175337_1.thumb.jpg.de41996a9fd2b40b74070030aef76703.jpg

20240301175608_1.thumb.jpg.d85987b5c3a1fd5c84f329b1010711d7.jpg

~

Ainijaya’s coughing racked her body, which was weak and frail from sickness. When Zorro arrived two weeks ago, he had told them about the disease. Half the tribe was infected, including the Kanir and the Kani. Kat was nearby, administering herbs while the coughing shook her own body. Qirunar was already passed out, his breathing becoming more and more shallow. Ainijaya’s vision began to swim, Kat’s voice suddenly distant. She gave one last cough before her vision faded to black.

20240302121007_1.thumb.jpg.2a8c2e2a6401e626379dca881ae48898.jpg

~

20240302121018_1.thumb.jpg.054ec11f93ae1d83e99c33dabc8afe7e.jpg

Nikaj glared at the sky, angry at the world. The sun shone brightly, too happy a sight for such a grim day. The Kani, Kanir, Kat, Hu, and Mita all were taken by the sickness. That left only her, her brother, Kat’s daughters and Zorro. Nikaj cursed, angrily pawing at the ground. For a moment she hoped this was all a bad dream, but she knew it was stupid to think that. She just wanted to leave this cursed island, but the tribe did not have enough resources to do that. She heard pawsteps, and immediately knew it was Ramsi. 

‘I’ve told the tribe to move to the ports. So we can be ready for our next crossing.’ Ramsi’s voice was softer than usual. He had survived the sickness, but he paid the price with his voice. He was barely able to raise his voice above a whisper, and when he did, it sounded raspy, and grated against nichelings ears. Nikaj was just glad he survived.

‘Tribe. That’s hardly what we are, we’re a collection of nichelings.’ She spat at no one in particular. 

‘But It’s still our duty to protect everyone here.’ Ramsi persisted. Nikaj wheeled around at him, suddenly angry.

‘And we did a fine job, didn’t we!’ She hissed. Her brother visibly flinched, and Nikaj quickly felt guilty. ‘Sorry. I’m not mad at you, I just..’ 

‘I know.’ Ramsi’s whisper was beside her now, his paw on her shoulder, a gentle smile on his face. Nothing would ever break Ramsi’s kindness, and for that, Nikaj was eternally grateful. For a moment, she felt that familiar pang of jealousy, before burying it. Her brother needed her, being bitter would fix nothing. She did her best to smile back, and the two walked back to the others.

• Sad 2

(Tiny green?)

20240302121745_1.thumb.jpg.83d0a6edec140703984e7bec1f972597.jpg

Vayka plodded alongside Ramsi, who was now Kanir. The distant smell of prey hit her nose, and she quickened her pace from excitement. Ramsi matched it, a steady, quiet presence, even more so now that he damaged his voice. But today the silence was uncomfortable, stifling. 

‘You’ve been treating me different.’ Ramsi broke the silence with a whisper Vayka barely caught.

‘I have not.’ She rolled her eyes at him, before pausing. ‘Kanir.’ Now it was Ramsi’s turn to roll his eyes.

‘This doesn’t change anything, you know. Me being Kanir doesn’t mean we’re not friends. It doesn’t mean I’m better than you or some stupid thing.’ His voice took on a pleading note.

‘I know that.’ Vayka said. To tell the truth, she didn’t know if it changed things. In her was a bred in fear of displeasing the monarchs. When Ramsi was still just the Kayan, they were friends, but things felt different now that he was the ruling monarch. ‘You matter more to me than some rules, we’re still friends. I just need to think about some stuff.’ She shrugged, touching the gems on her chest. Ramsi nodded, and they fell into silence again.

Their hunt was successful, and they came back with a lot of good prey. A little fluffy kit wobbled forward, an almost direct clone of Zorro. Nikaj looked on, a tired expression on her face. Vayka felt bad for Nikaj’s position. She never really wanted kids, but the bloodline needed to survive. It wasn’t the first time Vayka wondered whether a monarchy was even worth it.

20240302121540_1.thumb.jpg.5178fa10e51d7401809a2014c4f3c8ef.jpg

‘I’ll bite your head off if you didn’t get me something good.’ Nikaj grinned at the two approaching nichelings, her tired expression fading. 

‘Guess I’m going to be missing a head then,’ Ramsi smiled back, hiding the prey behind himself. ‘We’ve got nothing.’ 

‘Come on Ramsi, even you aren’t that useless.’ She jibed. ‘Vayka will have something though, because she can actually hunt.’ Nikaj turned her grin to Vayka.

‘That I do.’ Vayka puffed her chest out, before picking up Ayan, the little kit, and walking over to the others. Ayan was not given the surname of a Kayan, because he was not the child of the current monarch. But if Nikaj and Ramsi died with Ayan being the only heir, he would become Kanir. Just as she and Ramsi set down their food, a low growl echoed from the bushes. Vayka turned around, and eyes like black pools stared back at her, hunger like a bright flame. Vayka just managed to shove her friends out of the way, before sharp teeth sank into her shoulder. She would have been dead, if not for her spiky back, making the bearyena yelp in pain and stand back for a moment.

‘To the ports!’ Ramsi said as loud as he could, his voice raspy. Nikaj grabbed Ayan, and everyone ran. Zorro and Kiji were already there, and running. They sped across the flowers, the bearyena nipping at their hind legs. Bounding across the stones, the tribe ran to the next island. The journey was long and tough, across stones and smaller islands that were barely sandbanks. On the way Telim was born, and when the warm air of another island hit them, Vayka thought she would cry from relief. She quickly touched the gems on her chest, before hopping off the stones and helping the others.

20240302121934_1.thumb.jpg.e9f60420cb5dbbb4626ab883993ca41f.jpg

20240302121819_1.thumb.jpg.6fa0f20053ba628c23addb072fb82ffe.jpg

~

20240302122005_1.thumb.jpg.a7185673e42aa5b3c998255bb72518a0.jpg

Kiji sat humming to herself as she walked along the beach looking around for herbs, or something of use. The loud pawsteps of her sister alerted her, and she stood up a little straighter. Kiji had never been very close with Vayka, but they were friends at the very least. 

‘Ramsi wants us to move further inland. You might want to pick up the pace.’ Vayka ushered. Kiji looked off into the distance, thinking for a moment, before looking back at her sister.

‘Somethings bothering you.’ She said, raising an eyebrow.

‘Why does everyone keep saying that!’ Vayka huffed, grabbing Kiji’s tail and half dragging her to the others. She wasn’t very successful. ‘Nothings wrong! I’m just thinking!’

‘Alright, alright. But would it hurt if you let me think with you? If it’s not too personal of course.’ Kiji tilted her head.

‘I just…’ Vaykas ears went flat on her head. ‘Have you ever thought what it would be like without a monarchy? If we just governed ourselves?’

‘It’d be chaotic, I’d imagine.’

‘But this isn’t working out! Look how our tribe has fallen. If we all worked together, instead of some nichelings being better than others, things would be a lot more stable.’ Vayka stood her ground, her gaze intense.

‘You’re right, in a way.’ Kiji said slowly. ‘But this is how we’ve always been doing it, and maybe we need to wait until a more stable time to change things. Have you talked to Ramsi?’

‘Of course I haven’t, he’s the Kanir.’ Vayka mumbled, shaking her head. ‘Okay, whatever. Forget I said anything.’ She walked off before Kiji could say another word.

~

A few nights ago, Zorro passed from old age. It was a hot day in the part of the island that was a savanna, and Telim couldn’t get to sleep. He missed his father, but the thing he was most broken up about was the fact that his mother didn’t seem to care. Sure, she mourned for him as if he was a friend, but nothing more. Telim had hoped that him passing would at least make his mother care a bit more, but apparently not.

‘You okay?’ His mothers voice sounded from behind him.

‘Fine.’ He sighed, moving over to make room for her. She gently placed a paw on his shoulder, before hugging him. While she didn’t love Zorro, Telim knew in his heart that she loved Ayan and himself. 

‘I wanted to talk to you about your rank, actually.’ She broke away, looking down at him with her purple eyes. Telim blanched.

‘Did something happen to uncle Ramsi?’ 

‘What? No. He’s fine.’ She sighed before looking at him. 'You know your father was a gatherer, but now that he’s gone, we have no one to collect food.’ Realization dawned on Telim.

‘You want to demote me.’ He turned away with a scoff, anger pooling in him. His mother fixed him with a stern glare.

‘I wouldn’t ask this of you if I knew you couldn’t do it. You’re our only option right now. If you don’t want to, don’t take this responsibility, but think of the repercussions for the clan.’

Try as he might, Telim could not be truly angry with her. He knew he wasn’t suited for being Kanir. He was laid back and easygoing, not great traits for a future leader. Besides, he prefered gathering food to dealing with the tribe. The more he mulled the thought over in his head, the less angry he felt. Eventually he had decided.

‘I’ll do it.’ 

Nikaj smiled from ear to ear. Barely visible wrinkles creased around her eyes, and in a moment he realized that his mother aged just like any other nicheling. He could only hope many days were still left for her.

‘Thank you, Telim.’ She smiled, before walking off to go tell Ramsi.

(yeah ignore ramsi in this screenshot)

20240302122523_1.thumb.jpg.3cde4f8002400ba91159ab3b34517aba.jpg

• Like 1

Hmm. So I have played ahead and SPOILERS! the entire clan dies out. Should I keep writing posts until the end, or should I just leave this playthrough, as I'm not really too attached to the characters, and at this point in the playthrough I kinda should be?

• Sad 1

2 minutes ago, Stranger said:

Hmm. So I have played ahead and SPOILERS! the entire clan dies out. Should I keep writing posts until the end, or should I just leave this playthrough, as I'm not really too attached to the characters, and at this point in the playthrough I kinda should be?

I'd say that if you don't have the passion/attachment to the characters to finish writing it out than don't because making yourself finish it can be draining.

• Paw up 1

Just now, CosmicChaos21 said:

I'd say that if you don't have the passion/attachment to the characters to finish writing it out than don't because making yourself finish it can be draining.

Yeah, I think you're right. Maybe I'll start another playthrough down the road with a plot, and better characters. For now though I think I'll just post all the screenshots I took before the clan died.

• Paw up 1

8 minutes ago, Stranger said:

i mean i dont really see the point in writing what happened since we all know what's gonna happen at the end anyways 

you could just make a new challenge playthrough ig

• Paw up 1