Stray Fawn Community

Progression, part I: A universal workshop

Lurkily

Get every part into the workshop, such as weapons are, to broaden resource investment into more areas, and extend the appeal of harvesting and customization.  I recognize that weapons are inherently different from other parts - but the weapon workshop is fun, and I believe this will pay off in player engagement, and just plain fun.

Everybody wants upgrades or modifications to the way all sorts of things work.  We want drills that can harvest resources instead of destroying them, we want TNT that has a small AOE, or that applies elemental effects instead of damage, or that pushes instead of damages.  We want decouplers that apply force or self-destruct, (Explosive decouplers), distance sensors to detect in an arc and blast shields and blah blah blah.

Rather than new parts or new settings, all of these things are prime candidates for additions via upgrade/downgrades.  With regards to the UI, weapons and other items both shouldn't be duplicated in the UI; instead, when you click on the basic blaster or any customizable block, you should pop up a list window on the UI displaying all the customized versions you've built.  Since they all look so similar, they should also display the name you assigned to them.  

From what I understand of weapons and upgrades, this is a big ask because weapons are fundamentally different from most blocks.  But I think this can contribute a lot to progression, the offering of strategic choices, and fun.

• Like 2

3 replies to this post

Does not conflict in any way with the current lore as far as I know: the Nimbatus could very well have a research unit and use alien artefacts to improve on their current technologies, or, as an employee of the beeg corporation, you earn points to unlock more technology that is already known by doing your job earnestly (related to your next suggestion).

I am unsure how complicated the result would become, but if it is a gradual increase in possibilities I suppose it should go smoothly (much unlike the character creation of Pathfinder I hope).

With diverse enough options you should not even need to spend much time on balancing it, if at all.