Stray Fawn Community

New Hunting Genes

Mulan the Cat

New Genes:

1) 

I thought it would be fun to make a gene that can 'pounce' the way winged creatures can swoop down on prey.

This would be a hindleg gene.

Stats:

+1 Speed

+1 Swimming

+1 Pouncing/Ambushing

• Console: HindlegPounce
  • In game name: ?
  • Gene: Hindleg

Pouncing/Ambushing

• You can pounce on small prey (bunnils, fish, crabbits) within the distance of your speed, dealing as much damage as you have attack 
  • You can even try to pounce on birds of prey if they are close to you. 
  • You can 'ambush' predators, wanderers, rouge males etc using just one action (for running towards and attacking combined).  They have to be within 2 tiles of your creature. 
    • This might do more damage/only work if the (insert wanderer, rouge male, bear, ape etc here) can't sense your creature. 
  • You can try to jump onto tree branches but you won't always succeed 
    • This could be related to how much speed the creature has. As in, a creature with pouncing and 5 speed has a better chance than a creature with pouncing and 3 speed. (That way, lean body would be better at jumping onto branches than big body)

2) 

This gene is to mimic the way various animals make themselves look bigger when near predators. 

This would be a body gene, mostly sleek but with raised fur along the back.

Stats:

+1 Distasteful appearance

+2 Scentless

+1 Stealth 

+0 Heat Resistance

+0 Cold Resistance

+1 Strength

+1 Speed

• Console: ?
  • Gene: Body

Both of these genes are based on cats. The body gene adds scentless because of the constant grooming cats do (in real life, this helps them remain odorless and avoid predators). 

3)

This is a paw gene that would give an ability to scare/dig bunnils and moles out of hiding (only work once every 5-10 days). The creature would go to a burrow/den and use this ability. Then a mole or bunnil would come out.

Stats:

+3 strength

+1 ability to scare rabbils and moles out of hiding 

• Gene: Paw

4) 

Head gene: 
+3 smelling

+1 strength

+ venomous

*disables horns*

• Gene: Head

Changes to current genes:

1)

New ability for bearyena hindlegs

Stats:

+1 Speed

+1 Strength

+1 Swimming

+Climbing (used to climb trees)

Please let me know if you want to improve or change anything 

• Like 3
  • Paw up 1

4 words: BIRD OF PREY BEAK! i like the concept of the idea but the ideas nead more work, variety, and amount. maybe also like a long fluffy cat tail that gives cold resistance  

Just now, orinz said:

4 words: BIRD OF PREY BEAK! i like the concept of the idea but the ideas nead more work, variety, and amount. maybe also like a long fluffy cat tail that gives cold resistance  

Okay, I'll add more genes as I come up with good ones. 

Anything I can change about the current ones to improve them? 

also i think one of the genes i've mentioned in my own suggestions might appeal to this as said gene is based off of feline traits (suggestion name: a fiery, savanna-dwelling, cothreat) 

4 minutes ago, Mulan the Cat said:

Okay, I'll add more genes as I come up with good ones. 

Anything I can change about the current ones to improve them? 

hmmm not really. they're good as is

edit: the current ones are good as is

Edited by orinz
to clarify

k i'll probs post it in comments here in about 1 to 2 days (it'll be a pic of a normal nicheling with all the normal genes execpt for the ones suggested here made from spore)

Added a head gene! And now the hindlegs give only +1 speed and no longer disables horns.

I was thinking, instead of the pouncing ability just working on prey (like wings) they could also work on predators if the creature has horns? Maybe if the creature has any horn other than Megahorns (and antenna obviously)?  

15 hours ago, Mulan the Cat said:

Added a head gene! And now the hindlegs give only +1 speed and no longer disables horns.

I was thinking, instead of the pouncing ability just working on prey (like wings) they could also work on predators if the creature has horns? Maybe if the creature has any horn other than Megahorns (and antenna obviously)?  

yup, this is good Idea

I'd rather keep these ideas unique to this post, for simplicity's sake. 

i didn't mean to completely copy it cuz well the fire stuff is not anything near cats but ok...

maybe... MAYBE there could be a new thing for hindlegs... JUMP/pounce. u can pounce on any animal except ur pack, and only works with horns that give 1 strength otherwise for example with a mega horn ur pounce distance would be reduced. then with jump, u'll be able to attack birds of prey when ur next to the tile they're on (depending how low they are), and maybe possible small birds that will live in trees or fly around that will be added. same rule with the blue bird for the possible lil birdys. now for the front legs, there could be increased attacks with pounces and there could be climb! if theres a small tree ur next to (that's not a jungle tree and one a bird nicheling can land on) u'll be able to climb up it, and thus less need for wings. but it won't always work, like a 60% chance for it to work for climbing up. welp thats it really but i hope my time hasn't gone to waste.  

1 hour ago, orinz said:

maybe... MAYBE there could be a new thing for hindlegs... JUMP/pounce. u can pounce on any animal except ur pack, and only works with horns that give 1 strength otherwise for example with a mega horn ur pounce distance would be reduced. then with jump, u'll be able to attack birds of prey when ur next to the tile they're on (depending how low they are), and maybe possible small birds that will live in trees or fly around that will be added. same rule with the blue bird for the possible lil birdys. now for the front legs, there could be increased attacks with pounces and there could be climb! if theres a small tree ur next to (that's not a jungle tree and one a bird nicheling can land on) u'll be able to climb up it, and thus less need for wings. but it won't always work, like a 60% chance for it to work for climbing up. welp thats it really but i hope my time hasn't gone to waste.  

Hmm

I really like all these ideas!

I'll try to clarify a bit (and put my own spin on it), in case anyone reading this is confused

Pouncing

• Given by the first gene in the list above
  • You can pounce on small prey (bunnils, fish, crabbits) within the distance of your speed, dealing as much damage as you have attack 
  • You can even try to pounce on birds of prey if they are close to you. 
  • You can run towards and attack predators, wanderers, rouge males etc using just one action (for running towards and attacking combined).  They have to be in the distance your creature can run (not fly or swim). 
    • This is reduced if you have no horns/antena or megahorns
  • You can try to jump onto tree branches but you won't always succeed 

Here's an idea, for the climbing ability, what if it was just bearyena hindlegs that could climb? That would make them a lot more useful. 

I really like the idea of expanding the number of hindlegs and making the current ones more useful.

• Paw up 1

4 hours ago, orinz said:

quick question tho. why do no horns reduce pounce

What I was thinking was: creatures without horns would do less damage because they can't run headfirst into the enemy. My idea was that the 'pouncing' on predators/larger creatures could be more along the lines of the creature ramming into them. Though I guess that wouldn't make sense for a hindlegs gene. 

I'll do some editing. 

2 minutes ago, orinz said:

... if it was ramming wouldn't it become less cat and more goat?

Yeah... I'll save that idea for something else. Bet someone else has already thought of it anyway. 

I've changed it. Now, you can pounce on large creatures (wanderers, bears etc) if they are within 2 tiles of you.

I'm thinking I might make it so that the pouncing creature does a lot more damage if the large creature can't see/hear/smell them. 

• Like 1

Just now, orinz said:

k but maybe keep pounce being able to be launched at all available moves, u just need one sense to detect said enemy or prey?

Just now, orinz said:

(ex if u can move 6 then pounce can be done within the range of six tile)

I kind of want to separate pouncing on small creatures (bunnils, crabbits, fish) and 'ambushing' (pouncing on large creatures, like bears).

A nicheling needs to be within sensing and their speed to 'pounce'. 

A nicheling needs to be within sensing and 2 tiles to 'ambush'. 

Pouncing will do as much damage as the creature has strength.

Ambushing might do a bit more/only work if the large creature (bear, ape, wanderer) can't sense the nicheling.  

• Like 1

Just now, Mulan the Cat said:

I kind of want to separate pouncing on small creatures (bunnils, crabbits, fish) and 'ambushing' (pouncing on large creatures, like bears).

A nicheling needs to be within sensing and their speed to 'pounce'. 

A nicheling needs to be within sensing and 2 tiles to 'ambush'. 

Pouncing will do as much damage as the creature has strength.

Ambushing might do a bit more/only work if the large creature (bear, ape, wanderer) can't sense the nicheling.  

I make this sound final, but I've not fully made up my mind.