Stray Fawn Community

An update to the madness

We used to have 6 cats.

One died in a car accident (at least very quickly and painlessly, but my dad couldn't have enjoyed watching it). 

So we had 5. Only, two really didn't get along and my grandfather loves black cats. 4...

Then my parents bought a house with a very interesting contract. Meaning, we had to adopt three cats from the deceased owner. 7, for a while. One has a brain tumor and is deaf. At least he isn't shy.

My childhood pet Luna passed early last month :(. She hadn't been doing well since Christmas with a treatment resistant cold. Only, well. It was cancer. We had to put her down.

What is your natural reponse to having 5 1/2 cats?

Get two more!

Or, I know it's going to end that way, oh my god. Kill me.

• Sad 5

I spent a good part of middle school climbing through hay and taming half-wild cats. Our neighbour doesn't fix his, so I convinced my parents to take the semi-annual kittens in each year and help with adoption. 

That worked surprisingly well, until said neighbour's (adult) son started having bright ideas. Since then, it's been:

1. Capture 3 week old kittens

2. A) let them starve and traumatize the mothers (after trying to capture both and lock them in a cadge meant for hares).

B) Capture kittens and feed with cow milk

--  on the off chance one survives, do not fix and get even more cats!

Not even at this barn. The one down the road. The multiplying cat problem here originates from the brighter mom which hides hers really, really, well. 

... at least that's what I know since I moved out at 17 for a while. This time he is considering abducting two week old kittens. Arghfkkdjkskakskala

• Sad 4

You'd expect we had 6 cats because of my "hobby", but nope. Not even from there. 

And now I can go out on the mission of saving "one". Like my mom doesn't get attached to every and anything. If they don't die because he got them, we can have fun again bottle feeding. The last actually survived, despite being sick and abandoned after he harassed the mother too much, who was already stressed by construction noise.

I don't know what to do at this point... 

Argue?

Steal them first?

Is there a point in looking? (The "target" mom is old + has way too little milk for five kittens. One or two might make it until they're old enough, but ...)

• Sad 3

I just wish people like these would actually face charges and not get away with literally everything. It doesn't even stop at the cats.

...I always ask for permission as breaking and entering isn't really my thing, but I know the son would rather keep all of them. Which is why they're still not fixed, despite it being a free service in this case. 

I'm pretty sure "get the X before they can" is close enough. To legal theft. You sure are sneaking around and "haven't found them yet" for most of it. And I might have to actually steal them this time. Or. Well, "one". Because life is fair like that. 

• Like 2
  • Paw up 1

2 hours ago, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

Argh, sorry for the word vomit. I'm not sure anyone would have advice on "to steal, or not to steal a cat"? And if so, when. Thank you and please.

I don't know how good the police are in your area, but you could try calling them and telling them that this guy's abusing a lot of cats, he'd get a hefty fine and time in prison (at least, he would here). If they won't help, steal those poor things before any more die.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Sky said:

I don't know how good the police are in your area, but you could try calling them and telling them that this guy's abusing a lot of cats, he'd get a hefty fine and time in prison (at least, he would here). If they won't help, steal those poor things before any more die.

I looked it up and here in texas you'd get 180 days to 2 years + a fine up to $10,000 for animal cruelty

• Eek! 1

tell him that he's abusing cat's and traumatizing them, surely he can reason with that? or call the police, actually 

call the police if he doesn't reason but don't tell him that you will, because then he might come up with a bad idea

• Paw up 2

3 hours ago, Sky said:

I would be calling the police to arrest the police. He owns a lot of property and is a prominent member of the local party. Which doesn't really mean anything except that he's best friends with the major. 

As laws go, he can claim they're not his. That's why he has gotten away with not fixing them, and is enough to evade the law. He has not gotten away with other things... and is now doing them anyway. (E.g. keeping multiple pigs in a tiny, dark room. They're just hidden now, with the same noise as always every spring. When one gets dragged down the same street. To the building they're still slaughtered in...)

• Sad 4

3 hours ago, Zixvir said:

tell him that he's abusing cat's and traumatizing them, surely he can reason with that? or call the police, actually 

call the police if he doesn't reason but don't tell him that you will, because then he might come up with a bad idea

He's doing far worse things to animals. Chickens, pigs in particular. The man has no heart.

Which is not uncommon with old farmers. My grandmother had a neighbour who would put unwanted kittens in a bag and then drown them. Others kill them outright as they are. He's downright mild to what people would consider horror stories here, esp. the old generation itself.

But really... he lets me on his property to deal with an annoyance. I will lose leverage if turned annoying. There's not much to say without risking the whole attempt and drawing suspicion. Other people have said things to him, will say things to him again. But nothing's ever going to get through his head.

• Sad 3

That got too sad. 

Have some pictures of our derpiest cat's first day outdoors

IMG-20170424-WA0004.thumb.jpg.7d574b46e87d135785f3d7d387610d61.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0005.thumb.jpg.3dd96e680f3e615b18ac09a3a7c0f5ce.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0006.thumb.jpg.cdcf0f45b6437be8fcccaff453db26a7.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0009.thumb.jpg.270e2eb9e1248f4477c090055e76e482.jpg

(Suffering)

She had fun, though.

IMG-20170424-WA0003.thumb.jpg.d99bca2d88a74238e4897e7db66496c2.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0000.thumb.jpg.ad77d8dc23c4ef0e693b659dbf0b5108.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0008.thumb.jpg.8ca063126a83fa0484222945a8ad349f.jpg

Even if she's an anxiety moodboard in love with chickens. Of course,

20200508887848476320684561.thumb.jpg.45cbcac4ff85af12eb2f29cbe250b8c5.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0002.thumb.jpg.698760d7c2e67d4620f178f2593684fc.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0001.thumb.jpg.bd0585d9361e047fbad0b807d6757e0c.jpg

This one was chill personified.

IMG-20170424-WA0010.thumb.jpg.794185a1ec7caeef654d85a5535412a7.jpg

IMG-20170424-WA0014.thumb.jpg.f5fedbf181a94c9daf4112e24026f44e.jpg

(*majestic*)

IMG-20170424-WA0012.thumb.jpg.9eb554808e0c432e44ac53bef63c47e9.jpg

Not that she could actually get up or down

IMG-20170430-WA0000.thumb.jpg.e53df2d77440c8d25be4c5ce59e859f5.jpg

And my old cuddle-bear a year before.

• Love 4

take a video of him with a camera that shows that he did it, show that it is his address and on his street, say to the camera his name, and the state you are in, and country, and show what he does on camera, then after that  walk away and say that he does this for a living then show it to the police(one question though, is this person even real?) but before you take the video tell other people on your street to argue with him all at once and teach them a vocal signal that is a wail, then a loud OW! and that when they hear that they have to get bored slowly and stomp/walk back home depending on what they did, while they argue show his address and his street, say to the camera his name, and the state you are in, and country, then yell them the signal, after that start the film like planned and bam! foolproof plan! 

read this 3 times so that you understand.

7 minutes ago, Zixvir said:

take a video of him with a camera that shows that he did it, show that it is his address and on his street, say to the camera his name, and the state you are in, and country, and show what he does on camera, then after that  walk away and say that he does this for a living then show it to the police(one question though, is this person even real?) but before you take the video tell other people on your street to argue with him all at once and teach them a vocal signal that is a wail, then a loud OW! and that when they hear that they have to get bored slowly and stomp/walk back home depending on what they did, while they argue show his address and his street, say to the camera his name, and the state you are in, and country, then yell them the signal, after that start the film like planned and bam! foolproof plan! 

make sure he let's you on his farm to deal with an annoyance beforehand, or go in a near enough tree and film from there , start away from the tree and after you yell the signal go up the tree while he shoos them away

21 minutes ago, Zixvir said:

Everyone knows. The people in authority don't care. No one wants to get in his face, as he either has the means to make your life hell, make it a party issue, (my dad being in one and it hence very bad for him), or do even worse to them than before.

And still. He's a nice guy. To everyone. Just not in that one aspect. I'd be easy if he were just all around awful.

He's also my parent's landlord until we can move into the new house in some months. So animal-friendly neighbours have been playing the long game, going after what they can... but in the end, you can't linch the village elders.

2 minutes ago, Spacestar TheThundersuncat said:

Everyone knows. The people in authority don't care. No one wants to get in his face, as he either has the means to make your life hell, make it a party issue, (my dad being in one and it hence very bad for him), or do even worse to them than before.

And still. He's a nice guy. To everyone. Just not in that one aspect. I'd be easy if he were just all around awful.

He's also my parent's landlord until we can move into the new house in some months. So animal-friendly neighbours have been playing the long game, going after what they can... but in the end, you can't linch the village elders.

a noisy distraction also works, but do it after he isn't your landlord, and, oh yeah, check your house for traps and bombs and the like.

Just now, Zixvir said:

a noisy distraction also works, but do it after he isn't your landlord, and, oh yeah, check your house for traps and bombs and the like.

if you find a bomb show it on camera and start a video, then annoy him enough to detonate it, away from his stuff and show the video to the police, (only do any of these plans after  he is your landlord.

36 minutes ago, Zixvir said:

He isn't violent, he's a social mastermind. His son considerably less so. I don't doubt they'll have to cut down this part of the business once he succumbs to high blood pressure. 

But that and everything aside... I'll be gone in some months. Not for the summer, but then I'll be in the city, whole ... states away. If our Bundesländer can be called that. My parents can't devote their life to vengance, either. My dad is a public figure, my mom already half burned out from being a doctor during Corona and all the construction work.

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

27 minutes ago, Zixvir said:

or get a drone with a camera and video that.

These are illegal in my country under improper use, as is recording people without consent in case of potential crimes. Giving others reason to start an all out flame war isn't good. He will be gone once high blood pressure does its magic.

His son has neither the skill nor the patience to run the farm like before. He isn't otherwise around much, except for the technical stuff their company gets up to. I don't know what will happen to any of the animals.

• Like 1
  • Paw up 1

well actually prison should be changed as people die there so try creating a cat lure so that cats don't appear at his farm

create a cat lure trail and send away kittens. take the adults to animal control

43 minutes ago, Zixvir said:

well actually prison should be changed as people die there so try creating a cat lure so that cats don't appear at his farm

create a cat lure trail and send away kittens. take the adults to animal control

The younger mom is very smart. He can't harm her or her kittens, but they do pose an overpopulation problem. There's a second young mom, too, but I have no idea where she hangs around these days. She looks well fed, though. Still, catching these has been impossible. He does try to lock them up in a hare cage with the kittens, or to transport them down the street to the horses.

Angora and a silver-y one were the usual problem. "The silver one" became an actual name at some point, but she died over the winter for reasons unknown. Thinks my mother. I personally still hope someone caught her, since there's no evidence of death.

Anyway, the silver one had some screws loose in the first place and would just abandon her kittens when harassed too much. As she was unfortunately just as stupid as she was pretty, finding them was never hard. 

Angora is the one with kittens now. She's old enough to have a graying muzzle. I could probably trap her because she trusts me, but cats are loud. Using traditional traps would probably get you every house cat in the neighbourhood first, starting with this idiot:

IMG-20200424-WA0000.thumb.jpg.f5a11486749c70bef0d6742052289e76.jpg

that's after the day he almost killed himself with the same bag

• Like 1
  • Eek! 1

tommorow try to find the source of the cats, then make a trail of cat lures and cat food and lead them somewhere. preferably to your barn.