Stray Fawn Community

Art tips?

SharrdWolf

I'm sure you're great at art, but I'll give some advice regardless! As tedious as it seems, using guide sketches can be very helpful. And even if you already use them, try not to fall out of it. Even if the drawing doesnt follow them, it's good to have a baseline. For digital, I reccomend Medibang Paint Pro as a free art program for when you're ready, as it's very nice in my opinion, but feel free to choose your own software! When coloring, doing linework, or anything really, dont be afraid to take your time. Go as slowly as you need, it will make the art look much better. For digital, make use of layers! A sketchlater, linework layer, color layer, etc. It allows you to turn them on and off to see how each stage works. Also, when doing anything aside from basic sketches, I suggest using the stabiliser or correction tool, as it will make any lines less shaky and look better.

That's all I could think of for now! I mainly do digital, so my tips for traditional are limited. Hope this helps, and happy drawing!

• Thanks 1

Unfortunately, no. I do not have a scanner, and I do not have camera functionality on the devices I use. My digital is an extremely inaccurate representation of my work, as I use a very bad program called Doodle Buddy.

Heya, not to intrude on the topic or anything, but I would suggest either Medibang Paint Pro as said by Akirameta, but also FireAlpaca (it's what I use). Even though it's literally what everyone says, practice. 

I saw this on someone's Insta and I tried it and it really helped - copy other people's art (not tracing directly, but try recreating it). The tip is mainly to help you figure out your art style (which worked for me I guess), but I assume it can also help with everything in general (it's how people say tracing isn't bad at the start as it gives you a starting point).

Sorry if the info sucks, but yeah :)

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Kawoofy said:

Heya, not to intrude on the topic or anything, but I would suggest either Medibang Paint Pro as said by Akirameta, but also FireAlpaca (it's what I use). Even though it's literally what everyone says, practice. 

I saw this on someone's Insta and I tried it and it really helped - copy other people's art (not tracing directly, but try recreating it). The tip is mainly to help you figure out your art style (which worked for me I guess), but I assume it can also help with everything in general (it's how people say tracing isn't bad at the start as it gives you a starting point).

Sorry if the info sucks, but yeah :)

Firealpaca is also a good suggestion, as well as just general practice. I actually switch between the two programs, as theyre made by the same dev's 

Just now, Akirameta said:

Firealpaca is also a good suggestion, as well as just general practice. I actually switch between the two programs, as theyre made by the same dev's 

Oh really? I had no idea

3 minutes ago, Kawoofy said:

Oh really? I had no idea

Mhm! I noticed as saving firealpaca project files, they save as mdp (edit, dunno if this is just for my pc or not so), the same as medibang paint pro, and when I looked it up, I saw that they were by the same devs.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, Akirameta said:

Mhm! I noticed as saving firealpaca project files, they save as mdp (edit, dunno if this is just for my pc or not so), the same as medibang paint pro, and when I looked it up, I saw that they were by the same devs.

Yeah, mine also save automatically as mdp

I have a few things
DON'T THINK YOUR ART IS BAD
i have a friend who's stuck in the loop of constantly thinking her art is bad and there's almost been no drawings she thought have been good, and they've always been really good. TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR ART!
DON'T COMPARE YOUR ART TO MORE EXPERIENCED ARTISTS
if you do want to compare it compare it to someone who you think has a similar skill level to you or slightly higher and look for what you can improve on within your art
YOU CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE
If you don't like the way your current style or art looks, you can always improve. Look at the way other artists have drawn something similar, and figure out how you can do something like that. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH TRACING IF YOU'RE TRYING TO LEARN FROM IT!!
DON'T USE AUTODESK SKETCHBOOK

it's the only program that i am able to use (as i do art on my school pc and we can't download anything off the internet)
and it's actual trash!! i would recommend medibang paint pro or paint tool sai all the way.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, berri said:

I have a few things
DON'T THINK YOUR ART IS BAD
i have a friend who's stuck in the loop of constantly thinking her art is bad and there's almost been no drawings she thought have been good, and they've always been really good. TAKE PRIDE IN YOUR ART!
DON'T COMPARE YOUR ART TO MORE EXPERIENCED ARTISTS
if you do want to compare it compare it to someone who you think has a similar skill level to you or slightly higher and look for what you can improve on within your art
YOU CAN ALWAYS IMPROVE
If you don't like the way your current style or art looks, you can always improve. Look at the way other artists have drawn something similar, and figure out how you can do something like that. THERE'S NOTHING WRONG WITH TRACING IF YOU'RE TRYING TO LEARN FROM IT!!
DON'T USE AUTODESK SKETCHBOOK

it's the only program that i am able to use (as i do art on my school pc and we can't download anything off the internet)
and it's actual trash!! i would recommend medibang paint pro or paint tool sai all the way.

I agree. Don’t compare yourself to others and never beat yourself up. You’re always learning and growing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1