An OC story- The Tales of Tiberius

BirbMonster

• 2 weeks later...

Hdhsghshdhh 

I’m kinda worried that it’s not as good/interesting as previous chapters

But

I finally posted!

“Oh my Galvana, he’s awake!”

Tiberius slowly opened his eyes, adjusting to the bright light surrounding him.

“Hey kid, are you alright?”

“Who are you?”

“Why were you in those caves?”

Finally coming to his senses, he stared at the concerned monsters surrounding him. Groaning, he staggered up to his feet. No longer did he have any idea of the layout of the caves around this place. He was here, in Fire Haven, forever now. 

“Tiberius!”

He recognised Raptor, running towards him. “Tiberius, what happened to you?”

“It’s a long story…”

“Hey!”

It was the tall, thin monster that had been with Bamboo earlier.

“You’re the Tring I saw with my daughter. Who are you?”

He sighed, sitting back down. “My name’s Tiberius. I lived in the caves

up until now. But my dad kicked me out because you guys knew about me, so I went here because it was the only other place I knew I could live in,”

“You mean you lived in there?” Someone said.

“What did you even eat?”

“Can you see in the dark?”

“Are any of the legends about that place true?”

“Everyone, quiet, he’s really hurt, he has to rest!” 

After the crowd piped down, Tiberius was able to ask a question of his own. “Which one of you is the chief? Like, the leader? Whatever you call it here,”

“Leader? We don’t really have a ‘leader’. Some of us are more important but there’s no big boss going around telling monsters what to do,”

“Well, there was a leader back where I lived. He was my dad,”

“Didn’t you say that he kicked you out?”

“Well…”

“Alright, alright, everyone!” said a deep voice from the crowd. “It’s getting late. I’ll find him a space in the castle. We can talk to him in the morning,”

The owner of the voice stepped out, and Tiberius froze. Bamboo and Raptor had been right, he wasn’t exactly just a normal Tring. This one was red, sporting turquoise crystals and a triangular ring.

“Come on, kid. Follow me. I’m Clash, by the way,”

As the crowd dispersed, muttering among themselves, Tiberius followed the other Tring, looking around at all the sights around him. The ground was soft and warm, and he soon noticed that it was because it was coated in a thick layer of candle wax melting off the many that were placed all around.

As they both approached the castle, Tiberius realised just how tiny it really was.

“Do you all live in there?”

“Yep,”

“How do you-“

Before Tiberius could finish his question, Clash opened the door, revealing it to be, somehow, far bigger on the inside.

“Wooaaaaaaah,” 

Clash chuckled slightly. “Woah indeed,”

“Where do I go?”

“Well, there’s spare rooms that way,” He said, pointing left. Do you want me to show you, or can you find them yourself?” 

“I think I’ll manage,”

“Alright. Just, when you find them, go to sleep, okay? You’re hurt, you have to rest,”

It seemed there was nothing here that didn’t surprise him.

Even his living quarters were several times more luxurious than what he was used to. The room was already perfectly set up for a monster to move in, lit by the same candles that covered the whole landscape outside. Besides that, there was little decoration, but that was fine. He could make this place his own.

This was his home now.

Fire Haven was where he belonged.

hepl

• Love 1

• 2 weeks later...

(Real) (not fake) (3am)

Tiberius awoke with a jolt, remembering the traumatising experience of the previous day. Cast out of his tribe, forced to run, beaten by his own father…

He was lucky he’d survived, and escaped to this place. 

He could hear voices outside, dozens of them. Everyone else had already gotten up. 

Sliding out of his own bed, he walked over to the door. It was carved with several patterns and symbols. He took a moment to admire them, running his claws through them, then opened the door. 

There was something stuck to it, a note and a small parcel 

“Welcome, Tiberius! Take this as a welcoming gift, and join the song,”

-Clash (and Lemon!!!!!)

He carefully unwrapped the parcel, wondering what it was. A triangular ring, just like the one Clash bore.  

Unlike the circular ones of his tribe, it wasn’t suspicious at all. It didn’t feel off. It was almost comforting. This was a good gift. 

Taking it with him, he strode off. It would be best if he could find Raptor, Bamboo, or Clash, the only ones here he knew at least a bit. Unfortunately, others would definitely still come over to him, with queries about life in the caves to throw in his general direction. 

Trying to sneak past, he hunched down and kept to the walls, looking out for the three he knew. There was a trio of some that looked like Raptor, but not him. Repatillo, wasn’t it? There was still a lot to learn about the species that lived here. Each monster that Tiberius laid his eyes on was different, so he took a moment to study some of them closer. It was peaceful, as, somehow, nobody had noticed him.

“Hi!”

Startled, he jumped, almost falling over. “Oh. Hi, Bamboo,” 

“Hello! You woke up! Watcha doing?”

“Trying to learn what monsters are here,”

“Oh, I’ll get Raptor to tell you about all that stuff. Hey, speaking of learning, do you think they’ll make you go to school, or no ‘cos you don’t have parents here to force you to go every day?”

“School? Listen, I know nothing about how you do things here. I’ll try my best to get used to it,”

“Okie! I’ll be on my way and you should be too!”

“What? Why?”

Raptor suddenly stepped into his field of view. “To welcome a new morning with the beautiful song of this island, and fulfil our primal purposes,”

“What does that even mean?”

“He… he means sing. He just talks like that sometimes,”

“I still have no clue what is going on!”

“It’s fine! Follow us!”

He stumbled along with the flow of the crowd, trying to make sense of it all. 

“CAN SOMEONE EXPLAIN THIS ALL TO ME?” He yelled over the blaring music.

Everymonster suddenly stopped, turning their heads to stare at him. “You ruined it,” a small voice said, “You interrupted,”

“It’s not my fault I don’t know how you do things!” Tiberius yelled angrily. “I got here yesterday night and you blame ME for ruining your stupid tradition!”

“Stupid?”

“You should have a leader! A good leader wouldn’t blame me!”

“What, one day in and you’re trying to make yourself leader?”

Tiberius snarled, then stormed off, running as far as he could, until he reached the edge of Fire Haven.

It wasn’t a good idea to go into the caves. He no longer knew the way, and what if he ran into another member of his tribe? They would turn him in for sure. Expect Geode. Why had she tried so hard to stand up to him? Now that he knew how his father acted, she’d probably been seriously punished. 

He hadn’t realised how long he had been sitting and thinking.

“Tiberius?”

He looked back. Raptor, Bamboo, and a few other monsterlings their age were standing behind him.

“Why are you here?” He asked.

“We came to cheer you up. Thought we’d show you something awesome,” said Bamboo, sitting down next to him. 

“What’s the awesome thing?” 

“You’ll see! Come on!”

He followed the excited group for a while. “Tell me, where are we going?”

“Here!” someone suddenly yelled. “The Colossal's Ravine!”

Tiberius’ jaw dropped. Deep down in a ravine, with flows of lava covering the bottom, the very land had a single-eyed face, and massive limbs bigger than anything he’d seen. 

“What the…”

“That’s the colossal of fire,” explained Raptor. “According to the most ancient legends, when monsters first discovered this place, it sacrificed itself to make the land liveable. Its name cannot be pronounced by mortal beings,”

“I don’t believe in that stuff,” said Bamboo, shaking her head angrily. “Most legends are just a bunch of nonsense,”

“It’s in front of you. The island has a face,”

“Yeah, and we’re used to that, but the story behind it makes no sense,”

“Ok, enough arguing,” 

Cheered up by the intrigue of the ravine, Tiberius talked with the group for a while. He was introduced to Field the Dandidoo, Caldera the Kayna, Blossom the Rare Barrb, and Jag the Stogg. 

As they descended down precarious stones, the monsterlings taught Tiberius the ways of the monster world, the species that lived there, and, of course, an explanation behind the singing. They even sang their own, small version of the island's song, and Tiberius found himself joining in. It was surprisingly calming. This was what Raptor meant, wasn’t it? A purpose, what a monster was supposed to do…

“AAAAAAAAAAA,”

“What?” He was snapped out of his trance by the sudden yelp.

“Jag just fell down the ravine,” said Caldera, calmly looking down. “I think she died,”

“She what?” He leaned over the cliff’s edge to see.

“Caldera, she didn’t die,” Blossom argued.
“I know, you mouldy block of cheese, I wanted to scare everyone,”

“Will you all pipe down!” Tiberius yelled. “We need to get her back up!”

Jag was just a few metres down, but it was going to be hard to reach her. There was no simple way to get down.

“I’m fine…” Jag said dizzily, laying on the ledge. “But please help. Also, the ledge is cracking. I don’t think it’ll hold me up long,”

“Who’s the fastest here?” Asked Tiberius. “I saw a storage building close by and I think it would have some rope,”

“Field is,”

“Ok. Field, get the rope as fast as you can,”

“Alrighty! Should I tell anyone?”

“What will your parents think?”

“Mine would blame me and then throw me into the ocean,” Caldera muttered.

“That is probably an exaggeration,”

“Blossom, your stupidity is so strong it could power-“

“I said, stop,“

Sighing as Field ran back up the slope, Tiberius turned back to the rest of the group. “Alright, I have a plan. I don’t want to say anything twice, so I’ll explain when he comes back. Can you all promise to listen and not argue?”

A lot of them reluctantly, each group member nodded in approval.

“Good,”

After a few minutes, Field returned carrying a rope. “This one’s good, right?”

“Yes, it will. Alright. Here’s the plan. You all will hold the rope while I use it to get down there,”
“Do we have to pull you up?”

“No, just hold on. I can climb,”

With the rope tied around his body, he descended towards Jag, trying not to look down. The nervous Stogg stared back up at him, wide-eyed. 

“Don’t worry, come here,”

He reached towards her and lifted her off the ground. She was even heavier than he’d expected, and for a moment he feared the rope would break, or that one of the monsters holding the rope would let go, causing him and one of his newfound friends to slip straight down… but it held. 

“Is everyone doing fine up there?”

“Yep,”

With Jag under one arm, he began climbing back up the steep rock face. He wouldn’t fall, right? He got more anxious with each step, trying not to shiver, because that would only make it more likely that-

He felt a sudden downwards lurch. He’d fallen… for a fleeting fraction of a second his life flashed before his eyes… until the falling stopped. The rope had worked, and saved him and Jag from a painful doom. 

The rest of the journey was equally precarious and terrifying, until, at last, he reached the final step, and hauled himself onto the ledge where the monsterlings were standing.

Jag stood in silence for a moment, sweating as she processed what just happened.

Suddenly, she jumped up and wrapped her front legs around Tiberius in a grateful hug “Thank you! I did not like being stuck there! And I’d been there for any longer the ledge would’ve cracked and I would’ve fallen but that was very terrifying and-“

“You’re welcome,” He replied calmly, pulling her off himself. 

“Maybe Tiberius could be the leader of our little group!” Raptor suggested. He was good at organising all that. Admit it, everyone. Without him we would’ve just panicked and did nothing,”

“Me? Leader of you guys?”

“Of course. Everyone agree?”

Everyone raised their hands in agreement, expect Blossom, Caldera, and Field.

“I would raise my hand if I had any,” said Field.

“Then we welcome Tiberius! Our leader, our hero, and our friend!”

It was good to be appreciated like this again. Back home, he’d dreamed of becoming chief after his father. But that wouldn’t be as good as this. Even if it was just a friend group, it was still amazing.

“Ahem… thank you, everyone. Let’s get out of this ravine before anyone else almost dies. Why don’t you all show me around the rest of the island?”

Authors notes:

Jag is Scorch’s grandmother just putting that out there (this is happening like, 50 years before Scorch was even hatched)

I like the fact that all the braincells in the group are between Raptor and Tiberius

• Love 1

8 minutes ago, BirbCake said:

“Maybe Tiberius could be the leader of our little group!” Raptor suggested. He was good at organising all that. Admit it, everyone. Without him we would’ve just panicked and did nothing,”

'He was very good at organising all that. Admit it, everyone. Without him we would've just panicked and did nothing,"'

WHERE IS THE FIRST " AHHHH (I have serious issues)

Also,

*The next screech tears more holes in the fabric of space and time*

1 minute ago, Foxcake said:

'He was very good at organising all that. Admit it, everyone. Without him we would've just panicked and did nothing,"'

Also,

What

Just now, BirbCake said:

What ‘what ‘What’’

what why did you say what to

6 minutes ago, Foxcake said:

Also,

Was it the screeching or the fact you didn't put '"'