Stray Fawn Community

Reasources I use for naming ocs

BirbMonster

Felt like making this after helping Lox Feaf

Anyway-

I often use this website to help with oc names. It is called the Reverse Dictionary and you can use it to search for unique words relating to a different one.

I usually type something basic about the ocs's appearence, like "sky" or "fire" into the reverse dictionary, and find something suitable.

Example:

I searched "ice" in the reverse dictionary.

I got, for good names:

Floe (a flat mass of ice)

Polynya (a stretch of open water surrounded by ice)

Frazil (soft ice)

Just make sure to check the definition before choosing something for the name. One of the things I got for ice was 'bisque' and it'd be a bit silly having an oc named after a type of soup.

Similiar you can use by the same creator is relatedwords.org and describingwords.io

Another intresting thing you can use is the wings of fire naming wiki. While the name suggestions on the wiki are meant for wof dragons, they work well for other ocs too. For a water-themed oc, SeaWing page. Plant-based oc, LeafWing page. The hybrid and tribrid pages will also work intrestingly.

Mythology is also a great source for names, since gods have really awesome names sometimes. Though you can already sometimes find these in the reasources I just stated.

The last thing I sometimes use is words in different langueges. My oc, "Anibesa", is named after the word for "lion" in Amharic. Even the lion king did this, heck, Simba's name literally means "lion".

For those who just want mythical names without having a too specific meaning, the fantasy name generators website is a useful choice. There's a LOT of categories on it so just pick whatever is suitable. 

And lastly, for more 'normal' names, for all your normal human characters, this name generator website. It also includes categories for fantasy names and even pets and ship names.

And a quick tip: Don't worry too much if your oc shares a name with a canon character in something/someone else's oc! As long as it isn't the name of a major character within the same fandom and you didn't just copy someone else's name idea without asking, it's alright and you don't need to change it :]

• Love 2

I just search "names that mean ____" or make something up 

for example for a character that has green as their primary color, I would search "names that mean green" or just name them after a plant or some other green thing 

I also sometimes take parts of certain words, for example my Krillby oc Penny, her name comes from a pennywhistle

• Like 1

• 2 months later...