Stray Fawn Community

GPS

MARO445

Its like an altimeter, but in the x axis.

I just got a super idea:

Using the altimeter and the GPS, 8 drones go to a specific place in orbit (Forming an octagon). Then you activate all the camera blocks that I saw in Development WIP at the same time, so the camera zooms out and you see the whole planet.

• Like 4

3 replies to this post

You can't use the X-axis for positioning, as it does not stay horizontal when you fly around the planet.

To get a specific position you would need the height from an altimeter and the angle where you are located. (0° = on top of the planet, 180° = on the other side of it)

But it's a good idea to have the tools to do absolute positioning of your drones :)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 hours ago, Micha said:

You can't use the X-axis for positioning, as it does not stay horizontal when you fly around the planet.

To get a specific position you would need the height from an altimeter and the angle where you are located. (0° = on top of the planet, 180° = on the other side of it)

But it's a good idea to have the tools to do absolute positioning of your drones :)

This is exactly one of the things that I want paired distance sensors and directional sensors for.  You can design drones that are engineered to maintain certain formations, and if one of those sensors is dumped in your collection bucket at the start of a level, (Or directional sensors that can point toward the nimbatus or collection bin) you could very easily use it as a landmark by which to position larger, global formations.

The OTHER thing I want this for is to have a fleet of sub drones providing extra weaponry (like the 'options' in Gradius).  Being able to pair directional sensors and know your distance to a specific drone part would enable some precision formation flying and drone fleets.

• Like 1

It could be one sensor detecting polar coordinates based on your collector or the ship. Or maybe a sensor that interacts with other sensors and communicates relative coordinates?

• Like 1