Stray Fawn Community

Post lookouts on rocks

Asterai

I want to post lookouts on high perches to keep watch for predators and prey or maybe even help with scouting.  I hit on the idea of using rocks as vantage points.  A nicheling perched on a rock could have +1 or +2 vision, and see one tile further into surrounding grass.

To balance out the benefits of this, the following restrictions could apply:

- Climbing onto a rock requires 2 or 3 movement.  (Climbing is harder than walking, and a creature that can barely move on land can't climb.)

- Lookouts on rocks can't interact with surrounding tiles.  (To pluck from that berry bush by the rock, you'll have to climb down, pick berries, and climb back up.  No free lunch.)

Additionally, nichelings might be safe from bearyena and ramfox attacks while perched on rocks, but not from apes, balance bears, or killer bearyenas.  Predators of sufficient size or agility have no trouble reaching high places.

• Like 3

5 replies to this post

12 hours ago, Asterai said:

I've played about 20 hours of this game and haven't yet run into a tree stump!  That's what I get for going too slow and careful.  Their existence might invalidate my suggestion, yes.

I actually think it doesn't it would just add and extra lookout maybe with more sight but as you said you couldn't interact with it. Maybe you'd need the strength to break a rock (10 or 12 is it currently) and then have the option to turn it into a look out post or break it completly :D

4 minutes ago, Sheireen said:

I don't know, that would kinda devalue the treestumps, wouldn't it?

Not really since you wouldn't be able to interact with your surroundings, so stumps would be more useful as you can look out and do stuff

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Sheireen said:

I don't know, that would kinda devalue the treestumps, wouldn't it?

I've played about 20 hours of this game and haven't yet run into a tree stump!  That's what I get for going too slow and careful.  Their existence might invalidate my suggestion, yes.

• Like 1