Stray Fawn Community

Ice enemy for ice planets if they’ll ever exist...

Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats!

I have an enemy idea. A little roundish fur covered creature with an ice shield in front of it. This shield will be a different segment, and invincible. The only way to break the shield is by heating it up and mealting it. The creature with strafe around you in a circle always facing you. It will launch icicle like projectiles. These projectiles quickly freeze you. It will usually attack in groups of 2-3. They spawn from underground dens. These dens lie in circular holes connected to the surface with a tunnel, this tunnel usually isn’t straight. These creatures are passive, but territorial not attacking unless provoked. You can provoke them by getting to close. If you get to close they will start to growl. This enemy will flee once it’s shield disappears. It will return to its den and wait after 15-20 seconds it’s sheild will regrow, and it will become pacified. Remover this enemy is indestructible from the front, and is always facing you, and it attacks in groups, and quickly freezes you, then your weapons will stop working.

12 replies to this post

1 minute ago, Lurkily said:

Pathfinding for this isn't too intensive; orient toward the target, move laterally.  It would have trouble dealing with terrain, but then, every enemy extant has trouble with terrain.

But this enemy has an uneven tunnel down to it’s den, and without a pathfinding algorithm, the enemy would not work as intended. Basically this enemy requires about 15x as many brains as every other enemy in nimbatus so far.

1 hour ago, ManTheMister said:

But this enemy has an uneven tunnel down to it’s den, and without a pathfinding algorithm, the enemy would not work as intended. Basically this enemy requires about 15x as many brains as every other enemy in nimbatus so far.

Fantastic point ManTheMister! What i meant is that the den itself isn't directly accesseble from the hole, so that then den isn't shot from outside. The tunnel itself can be striaght. oh and no, it wouldn't need 15x more brains than the other enemies in nimbatus it would need at most 10x more brains than a transmitter drone.

I did somehow not read the underground part. I'm short on sleep, though.  

You could permit it to burrow, like the snake; but no, I wouldn't like to devote that much development time to AI rather than features.

4 minutes ago, Lurkily said:

I did somehow not read the underground part. I'm short on sleep, though.  

You could permit it to burrow, like the snake; but no, I wouldn't like to devote that much development time to AI rather than features.

You misunderstand, their spawner is underground.

9 hours ago, Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats! said:

You misunderstand, their spawner is underground.

and burrowing would allow them strafing movements without having to worry about the terrain they'll navigate while leaving it, or while strafing left and right as the player tries to get at their burrow.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Lurkily said:

and burrowing would allow them strafing movements without having to worry about the terrain they'll navigate while leaving it, or while strafing left and right as the player tries to get at their burrow.

Oh! So the burrow would be completely unaccebke from the surface, so the enemy could dig through the terrrain!

You could put cosmetic tunnels in too, if you like, but they wouldn't be necessary for their mobility.  And since they don't fire bullets, you won't have the issues we see when bullets spawn inside terrain.