Stray Fawn Community

Drone chassis suggestion; MKII

Lurkily

My first suggestions on the subjects were a bit awkward.  This suggestion is to have the option to use a 'chassis' with a drone core.  This would be several 1x1 blocks linked to the core in a pre-determined configuration. (And perhaps with more limited options available for a configurable chassis)

Each of these parts would be connected in some stylish spaceship-shaped way to look nifty; but the connections would be far more resilient than a normal strut.  They would serve as resilient and stable anchors for other parts; but the configuration would also dictate some constraints to your design.  Various configurations might be suited for big ships, small ships, round ships, long ships, etc.  

Chassis blocks should be a serious vulnerability.  Damage to them should also transmit damage to every connected part, including other chassis parts, and their regeneration of HP should be slow; if one is exposed to damage it should be a serious liability, and god forbid your chassis catch fire.

This wouldn't offer complete rigidity; but it would offer, within certain constraints, a more stable environment for a larger build.

it would, though, being fixed to the core, beg for the ability to rotate the core.

6 replies to this post

i like this idea, but also propose different ship configurations or "chassis's" apply different effects. Maybe like more or less air resistance, different amounts of mass. Or a bonus to energy generation, or increased armor or weapon damage. Stuff like that. Could also come with penalties to those sorts of things. Or special abilities unique to those types of ship, for instance being able to sense where ore is, or able to call a satellite in orbit to blast something, etc.

• Like 1

What if you want to design in a certain shapes, but can't use the appropriate chassis because the effects aren't appropriate? 

That might be more appropriate to some of the custom drone core ideas. 

• Like 1

Well,  everything is attached to they core, but I see what you mean.   I'd like to keep the design constraints of chassis shape separate from special attributes or abilities, so that an inappropriate ability doesn't mean you can't use the appropriate chassis. 

That's where the limited options for a configurable chassis come in. (Fewer blocks, shorter connections, I dunno, something.)  I'd like to enable the player, but I'd still like it to be a logistical challenge. Half the fun is the logistical challenges presented.