Real

Mega timeskip

real

not fake

3 am

real

wow

so ture

It had been a long time since Tiberius had arrived on Fire Haven. In fact, this day marked the 20th anniversary of the day he came. As he’d never truly known his back home, this day had been pretty much proclaimed his birthday.

Since then, more and more monsters had accepted him as their leader. It started with the friend group getting larger, until it wasn’t just a friend group, but more of a following. Some needed a bit of persuasion, a bit of nudging from those who did accept him, and of course Tiberius himself. And, over time, he’d worked his way up a ladder of importance.

“Good morning, Tiberius!” Raptor sat down next to him, where he’d been sitting near the edge of the Colossal’s Ravine. He and Bamboo had become not only his friends, but his advisors. “So, 20 years? It has been a rather long time,”

“Indeed…”

“Is something troubling you, Tiberius? You seem rather distant, friend,” 

“I am thinking about my old tribe,” he said. “From what I know nobody’s gone into the caves for the past 10 years. What are they even doing anymore?”

“I see. In your position, I would be thinking about such things too,”

Bamboo suddenly hopped in out of nowhere. “20 years and you still talk like a darn book. Are you coming to your celebration, T? It’s going to be epic,”

“Alright, Bamboo. I shall come. And do not call me T,”

Upon arriving back at the castle, Tiberius was surprised to see how much this was really being celebrated. 

“Do you really have to do all this?”

“We wanted to. It is your birthday, after all,” 

“I see. Thank you,” 

“Hey Tiberius!” This time, it was Jag, walking with her son, a Rare Stogg named Gecko. “Are you feeling good today?”

“Yes. I think,”

“Excellent,” 

“Ready to make your announcement, Tiberius? We can celebrate in due course,” asked Raptor. 

“Oh, yes, of course. Reminder?”

“Officiate the leadership. It's been 13 years since others besides our little group accepted you. It is about time,”

“Ah, of course,”

Tiberus climbed onto a large rock, placed there specifically for moments like this. Bamboo and Raptor followed him, climbing onto smaller platforms at the sides.

“Attention, Fire Haven! Listen!”

Hundreds of heads craned up to look at him. 

“As you all already remember, and as many of you have experienced, 20 years ago, I arrived here. I was different at first, but now, I am one of you, and you have welcomed me. And, 7 years after that, through a series of events, a rather large group of you did truly want me as the leader,”

He paused for a second, making sure everyone was properly listening. 

“And now, I think it's time for the true, official decision. I am the ruler here now. Does everyone accept that?”

A large portion of the crowd nodded in favour, or raised their hands, did whatever they could to show their agreement.

“That’s around 80 percent of them,” Raptor whispered.

“We all know, it's more,” Bamboo responded, a bit loud and brash for Tiberius’ liking. 

“So that means,” announced Tiberius, loud and clear. “You have a ruler! The first since Dawn!”

Cheers chorused through the crowd. But one hand remained raised.

“Do you have a question?”

The owner of the hand emerged from the crowd, draped in a chainmail cloak.

“Caldera? Is that you? I haven’t seen you in forever, where have you been?” Asked Bamboo.

“I am Caldera, you mass of twigs,”
“Hey!”

“Caldera, what do you want to ask?”
“Is there some kind of… punishment… for opposing?”

“Opposing how, exactly?”

“Not abiding to the stupid rules you’re certainly about to add,”

“Well, of course there’ll be a punishment if you break rules, but I’m not planning to add any more. Just the usual laws on islands, like-”

Suddenly, Caldera whipped out a sharpened blade, obviously her own invention. She’d been suspiciously tinkering with… dangerous items for a while now, that was where they’d been. Same thing with Blossom. They’d been the only two to not want him to lead the group, all the way back when he’d first showed up. They’d been doing something strange for sure. “How about I rebel! We don’t need you. We only needed Dawn back in those times because the world had just ended!” They held the blade up, lighting up their hand. The heat flowed through the blade’s handle, seting it on fire.

“Alright, that’s it. Get out of here!”

Bamboo charged at Caldera, leaping onto her back and knocking them over. But as she did, Caldera raised their weapon, slashing at Bamboo’s face. The Reedling yelped in pain, jumping back and swiping blindly to douse the flames.

“SOMEONE GRAB HER! ANYONE WHO WON’T GET BURNED,”

Two Kaynas rushed from the crowd, seizing Caldera’s shoulders and pinning her down.

“BLOSSOM!”

Blossom rushed out of nowhere, pointing a spiked weapon.

“Help me!”

“No. Pretty sure I’m too flammable for that,”

“ENOUGH!” Tiberius shouted over the mass panic of the monsters. “Both Caldera and Blossom are under arrest. Put them in the dungeon,”

“We have a dungeon?”

Tiberius sighed as Caldera and Blossom were dragged away. He wasn’t really in the mood to celebrate anymore, and could sense the same emotions coming from the crowd. 

Hopefully nobody would want to kill him again.

It would be quite an inconvenience.

Authors notes:

• For some reason I keep imagining grown-up Raptor with a sophisticated British accent
  • Yep, the briefly mentioned child, Gecko, will grow up to be Scorch’s father. A generation per chapter, how time flies…
  • Confession: Caldera and Blossom are only rebels because I wanted the chapter to be interesting
  • I have a very specific plan of how Caldera’s blade works might design it later
  • Love 1

Once this is done, I might show ya'll some deleted scenes that I planned to write, but decided not to because they didn't fit anywhere in the plot. 

Definatley don't have the energy to write them fully. I guess I'll explain both after the next chapter.

• Paw up 1

16 minutes ago, Attmoz said:

whats so bad about barrb lol 

amber island barrb is hot garbage but its not that bad on haven and i dont know what it sounds like in dof

And also Rare Barrb has pretty colours

• Paw up 1

LOZFEAF NO SCREAMING!

“Tiberius! You missed the hatching!”
“I missed what? Is there something I don’t know about? Normally I don’t attend hatching days,”
“Yeah, but this one’s special,”
He finally turned around to face Bamboo. “Whose kid is this,”
“Gecko’s. Remember him, right?”
“Wait… Jag’s son? And he has his own child now?”
“Yeah. He’s like 30, of course he’s got a kid,”
“Sweet Scaratar… I’m old,”
“Well, about who it is… there’s another Epic!’
“Another… Epic? I am not the only one anymore?”
“Yeah, come! You should definitely meet them!”
He grumbled under his breath, slowly getting up to follow Bamboo. He noticed how shallow her breathing was, and the hobbling way she now walked. Her fur was straggly, and made even worse by the burn scars left by Caldera. Wouldn’t the passage of time make her 50-something as well? Didn’t Reedlings…
“Wait,” Tiberius realised. “How long do Reedlings live?”
“Don’t know, don’t care. I don’t wanna count how long I have left,”
“But wasn-”
“Oh look! We’re almost there!”
“Wasn’t it 60 years…?” Tiberius’ sentence trailed off as Bamboo trotted away. He didn’t want to lose his friend. Especially one of his first, and one he’d known for so long.
“Hey! Wait!” He followed after her, approaching the surprisingly large crowd gathered around the nursery.
“Move along,” monsters shifted to let him through. “Can I see Gecko?”
Gecko was standing in the centre of the crowd, huddled next to a Tring. He’d met her once before. Her name was Shatter. She’d been dating Gecko for what had seemed like a short time, but now Tiberius could see just how quick time was flashing by. 
“Hi, Tiberius! Come meet Scorch,”
He looked down at the broken eggshells at the feet of the strange couple. Sitting in the middle, was, as Bamboo had said, a new epic. A tiny Epic Kayna, staring up at him with confused blue eyes.

“What’s wrong, Tiberius?” Asked Raptor, who’d been standing next to him. “Shouldn’t you be celebrating? This is the first Epic Kayna to hatch in over two hundred years. It is a rather monumental occasion,”
He let out another dissatisfied grumble. 
“Are you jealous, Tiberius? You never struck me as the type to be jealous of another,”
“Raptor, Bamboo, come with me,” said Tiberius. “I would rather speak about this privately,” 
Once they got far enough from the crowd, Tiberius finally spat out his thoughts. “I- well I wouldn’t call it jealous. But I am… anxious,”
“Anxious about what? That they’ll steal your  fame? Your leadership? Is that what this is about?”
He let out a long sigh. “Maybe,”
“You don’t need to worry. We’ll always follow you,”
“Thank you. We can go back now,”
Upon returning to the nursery, the crowd has already dispersed, Gecko and Shatter having taken their child home. 
There were, of course, still a few monsters standing around. Some were gossiping amongst each other, the odd few shooting angry glances at Tiberius as he passed. 
They’d known, they’d seen how angry he was. 
A Tweedle swooped down and perched on Raptor’s back. 
“Ow! Polly, you haven’t been small enough for this in 40 years!”
“Imma still do it,” Raptor’s sister turned to Tiberius. “Everyone’s mad at you. They think you hate Scorch!”
“I can see that, Polly. Could you… leave?”
“K,” she fluttered off, quietly humming to herself. 
As Raptor and Bamboo wandered away, Tiberius stared up at the slit of soft blue sky high above, with time to think alone once again. 

Authors notes:

• The reason Scorch is being called ‘they’ is because (well, at least in the way I interpret it) monsters don’t have an actual biological gender, so at birth *most* parents just use they/them for their kids.
  • Also, yes, Scorch’s parents being a Tring and a Rare Stogg make sense because the breeding combination for an Epic Kayna on Fire Haven is indeed Tring + Stogg, and either of the parents being a rare doesn’t affect the result.
  • I almost forgot Polly existed, felt she needed at least one more appearence. Disclaimer: she has nothing to do with forum Polly. Just thought it would be a fitting name for a Tweedle. 
  • Love 1

So, two things:

1: I’ve speedrunned the next chapter. I’ll post it tomorrow when I get back from school.

2: That leaves two chapters (the grand finale and the epilogue. If you know spoilers from any source, don’t talk about them)

• Eek! 1

Just now, BirbMonster2 said:

So, two things:

1: I’ve speedrunned the next chapter. I’ll post it tomorrow when I get back from school.

2: That leaves two chapters (the grand finale and the epilogue. If you know spoilers from any source, don’t talk about them)

*screeching that tears holes in the universe*

• Haha 1

Geode yawned, shakily stretching to her feet. She could hear voices coming from the nearby caves. Stalagmite, and his cruel supporters. The past… 50? Or maybe 60? However long exactly it had been, the past several years hadn’t been easy. 

“HE’S ALIVE!” yelled Stalagmite suddenly. “AFTER SO MANY YEARS, THE RING HAS MOVED!”

Tiberius was alive?

She had to warn him. They’d be coming after him, even after so long. Stalagmite had been going madder and madder.

Getting up and leaving her ring behind, Geode sprinted as fast as her weak legs could carry her. 

…..

Tapping his claws quietly on the ground, Tiberius stared across the Colossal's Ravine, looking down at the swirling magma below. 

“Hi uncle,”

“I’m not your uncle. I’m your grandma’s friend,”

“I’ll call you that anyway,”

“Well-” He laid down, letting one limb dangle precariously over the edge. “-why are you here?”

“To chill. Everyone wants to hang out with me, so I came here because its too much,”

“I see,”

“Also, look! I found this at the entrance to one of the caves,”

She raised her arm, showing him a silver bracelet, with one part crushed, as if someone had stepped on it forcefully, and slight rust around the edges.

“It’s a bit beat up, but it's pretty cool. I think it's magic or something. Feels kinda weird,”

He stared at it, it felt like it was staring right back at him.

It was familiar, it had been his once, He remembered the screaming, the running.

“NO!” he yelled suddenly. “THROW THAT THING IN THE RAVINE! I WANT IT OUT OF MY SIGHT! I DON’T WANT TO REMEMBER HIM, NOT NOW, AND NOT EVER!”

Scorch fell back, raising her wings up in front of her face, shaking. 

He sighed, sitting back down and turning his head away. “I’m sorry. It’s just… that thing was mine once. It brings back bad memories,”

Scorch reached up to place a hand on his shoulder, trying her best to comfort him. 

“I… I’ll be getting back to the castle. They’ll be looking for me,”

As Tiberius walked, with Scorch trotting eagerly behind him, he passed close to an entrance to the caves. 

He heard footsteps coming. 

He turned, ready for a fight, but then stopped after seeing who it really was. 

A familiar Tring, her skin not as shiny as it once was, but still bright purple, walking mysteriously with her head bowed, covered in a mound of crystals so huge, Tiberius was surprised she could stand at all. 

“Who is that?” Asked Scorch.

“The reason I’m alive…”

“I’m glad you are, my son…”

“Wait,” he said in shock, his heart skipping a beat at Geode’s strange words. “Son?”

Authors notes:

• Plot twist much?
  • Scorch is actually 15 now.
  • IT TRIED TO AUTOCORRECT GEODE’S NAME TO GEORGE HDFHFKDHGKHD
  • Love 1

Here it is! Super proud of this one...

Also warning because this chapter has a little bit of violence

“Yes,” she said. “Listen, Tiberius, you need to hurry…”

“How are you still alive? You’re at least 100!” 

“What you should be concerned for is Stalagmite being alive,” Tiberius shivered at the mention of his father’s name. “He is twice as old as I am. He’s stayed alive with the method HE claimed was disgraceful. He is not your father. He took you from me when you were just an infant. Threatened to slit my throat if I told a soul,”

He took a moment to process the information, his heart pounding. “Why did you come, then?”

“Because he’s coming for you, Tiberius. He’s gone mad. He’s bloodthirsty, and will stop at nothing to slay those who have wronged him,”

“After so long?”

“When you ran, and you left your ring behind, I convinced him that you’d been crushed in a rockslide,”

“You… are far smarter than I assumed,”

“Thank you,”

“So…” Tiberius shuffled awkwardly. “When is he coming?”

“They could come anytime. I only left when I heard Stalagmite say they were. And I am no near as fast as him,” 

“Ummm…” said Scorch. “What’s going on?”

“You have to hide. You’re too young for this,”

“I’m 15, I can understand bad things,”

“Thought you were 10,”

“How?”

“Nevermind. Still, hide. I don’t want anything to happen to you. I will gather anyone willing to help,”

“Good. I shall do my best as well. My strength is long gone. It is about time I use my wits,”

Tiberius stood nervously by the caves. He had scouts by every entrance, anxiously waiting for the minute the attack would hit. 

“If only Bamboo were here,” Raptor commented sadly. “She knew how to fight,”

“Don’t remind me she’s gone,”

There were more minutes of still silence. The only sound was the distant rumbling of the volcano itself, and the nervous breathing of a Reedling among the group of fighters. 

Suddenly, a Glowl crashed down upon Tiberius’ group. “THEY’RE HERE! THEY CAME LIKE YOU SAID! FURNOSS SAVE US, I’M NOT PREPARED FOR THIS!”

They suddenly fainted in a panic.

“Everyone, go to where they came from! Hurry!”

Tiberius ran frantically in the direction the Glowl had come from, following the sounds of panic. Eventually, he reached Stalagmite himself, standing near the Colossal's Ravine. There were 4 Trings with him, a lot less than that Glowl had made it seem.

Tiberius stared into his ‘father’s’ beady, deranged-looking eyes. His crystals were almost completely snapped off, leaving nothing but jagged spikes that matched his name and patches of bare skin.

“Ah, Tiberius, what a pleasure it is to meet you again! It’s been a while, hasn’t it, son?”

“I am not YOUR son,”

“So. Geode told you, didn’t she? I was expecting her to confess to what she’s done. It’s not like she was likely to even survive till the end of the month,”

“GEODE DIDN’T DO ANYTHING! YOU DID! YOU LIED TO ME FOR MY WHOLE LIFE!”

Stalagmite paused in shock, growling softly in anger. 

“Well, I see you are trying to oppose,”

He walked through the crowd in creepy circles, eyeing each monster with a devious gaze. Eventually, Tiberius’ spine tingled as he heard a familiar yelp.

Stalagmite carried Scorch to the front of the group, standing on his hind legs to show her to Tiberius and everyone else.

“I have not seen one of these since I was a kid,” Stalagmite said with a smirk. “She must be quite prized for everyone here,”

Scorch squirmed helplessly in Stalagmite’s hand. He lowered his voice suddenly. 

“Who would you rather see die? Tiberius, or this thing?”

“Put me down you… you…”

“Useless, blabbering, wrinkly ball of disgusting blue slime,” a voice suddenly interrupted.

“Caldera?” Tiberius said, surprised. 

Raptor sighed. “I don’t know if her sentence should be over yet. I think they just escaped,”

While Stalagmite was distracted staring angrily at Caldera, Scorch pulled her hands free. One of her hands began to glow bright purple, and with a furious roar she slashed it across Stalagmite’s face.

“AAAAAARGH!” he yowled in pain, throwing Scorch down onto the ground as he put one hand over the burnt side of his face. 

“YOU WILL PAY, ONCE I GET TO THE MONSTER I’M HERE FOR!” 

Tiberius immediately knew that Stalagmite was talking about him. 

He crouched down, preparing for an attack. 

But he wasn’t prepared for how quickly Stalagmite could move. Without the weight of crystals, he was extremely fast, leaping onto Tiberius’ back with the agility and liveliness of a child. 

He shook Stalagmite off his back, swiping at his chest. He hadn’t been in a fight since he lived in the caverns. And there, it was just against the few other children there was, and there were always adults to stop it.

But here, he was fighting for his life. Nobody would have the skill or courage to help, right? He thought as he unsuccessfully blocked Stalagmite’s swipes. 

“AHEM!”

Tiberius turned around, and so did Stalagmite.

Geode sat at the edge of the Colossal's ravine, on a precarious rocky outcrop.

“Why won’t you kill me first? You’ve been waiting longer,” 

Stalagmite simply growled, advancing slowly towards Geode.

“No!” Tiberius shouted, scrambling to his feet with blood trickling down his shoulders. “Geode, I can fight him myself! You don’t-”

He noticed that the outcrop Geode was standing on was moments away from cracking off. If Stalagmite stepped on to attack her, it would… 

He had to save her. This was certain death. 

He ran as fast as he could after Stalagmite, biting down onto his hind leg.

“Yowch!”

He kicked Tiberius off, striking his flanks yet again.

“Emerald, Cavern, hold him down!” 

Two of the Trings with Stalagmite rushed and grabbed Tiberius, pinning him to the floor by the arms. He was helpless to simply struggle and watch.

Stalagmite approached Geode, blinded by rage and the fact that his eye was gone. 

She stared him dead in the eyes, sitting still as a statue. 

Right as Tiberius pulled himself free, Stalagmite stepped onto the outcrop. He sprinted as fast as he could, but he was too late. As he reached the cliff, with a loud crack the rocks cracked, sending Geode and Stalagmite tumbling together into the lava below.

“NOOO!” he cried as he looked away and heard a distant scream and the sound of flesh sizzling.