Stray Fawn Community

Tweaks to leaving a mission.

Alpino_WILL_STEAL_ oats!

Leaving a mission right after fulfilling the objective, is a cheap trick everyone uses. Let’s say your underground and you just killed the hammerhead, and then you immediately leave before the lava starts rising. How about having to be above ground to leave. This would stop people from rushing in and destroying evreything then returning to the nimbatus under ground. This would add tension and make people act more carefully. Or it could backfire and just be really annoying, and inconvenient. Or instead we could add this to a seperate hard mode.

9 replies to this post

There should be some criteria other than just completing the mission in order to return to nimbatus. However, it would be really annoying if somebody completed the mission, and pressed escape to exit the planet while they were underground and then had to do the mission all over again.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ManTheMister said:

There should be some criteria other than just completing the mission in order to return to nimbatus. However, it would be really annoying if somebody completed the mission, and pressed escape to exit the planet while they were underground and then had to do the mission all over again.

When you press escape, the game would pause and give the "are you sure you want to leave" message along with "you will fail the mission if you leave."

but that's also anoying so... maybe not?

(Note from Lurkily: Damn EDIT button is next to the QUOTE button.  Sorry.  I lost the original post text. 

MTM Suggested the Nimbatus open doors for the drone to enter after mission completion, to make leaving your core behind a little more difficult as a mission-completion hack.

I carelessly tried to hit 'quote', and started typing.  Sorry, MTM.  Any mistake I make with the new tools always seems to come down on you.  I promise it's not on purpose.)

Edited by Lurkily
I'm an idiot.

I dont see why it matters... they're just drones, I assume my ship has some sort of factory to build as many as I need. Hence the point of a drone, theyre not that important. Thus if you leave the drone there and its disabled or whatever who cares? Make a new one.

Instead of punishing you for leaving early, it'd be nice to get some sort of reward for actually returning the drone, maybe like a small bonus to materials or a chance for something cooler if they ever incorporate stuff other than materials for upgrades, like new parts or something~

Honestly, I don't think we need to address the hackable aspects, really.  In fact, it'd be interesting to introduce more.

In Portal, Valve found a number of puzzles had solutions in them that didn't require completing the puzzle.  Some of these were left in, being more difficult and requiring a more creative use of the tools given the player than the actual puzzle did.  

They decided to leave the 'ninja' solutions in.  I think we should at least think about permitting 'mad scientist' solutions without trying to make them prohibitively difficult.

20 hours ago, unmog said:

I dont see why it matters... they're just drones, I assume my ship has some sort of factory to build as many as I need. Hence the point of a drone, theyre not that important. Thus if you leave the drone there and its disabled or whatever who cares? Make a new one.

Instead of punishing you for leaving early, it'd be nice to get some sort of reward for actually returning the drone, maybe like a small bonus to materials or a chance for something cooler if they ever incorporate stuff other than materials for upgrades, like new parts or something~

From a logical standpoint, yes that does make sense... but from a gameplay perspective

On 10/28/2018 at 12:55 AM, unmog said:

The core has some significance, though.  The drone can't operate without this one piece that doesn't do anything not done by logic pieces. (Actuate devices, receive signals wirelessly)  That gives me a thought.  If custom cores and core mods become a thing, perhaps you'd be required to repurchase those if you lose a core, and only the default core is free?

It would provide an incentive to return that's lore-friendly, a penalty that is really just an inconvenience, and ensure that it's not a barrier to later gameplay.