Stray Fawn Community

Group built drones

saabpullo

So I would like to see feature which is grouping built drones. It would make it so much easier to select the drone you want. I like to build different drones that are kinda the same but with different features and it would help a lot  and be more cleaner if there would be groups for these. Also the ability to name the group names of course.

• Like 2

10 replies to this post

1 hour ago, Markus said:

You mean like adding tags (E.g. SUMO, FIGHTER, COLLECTOR, PLANET_DESTROYER) or folders in which you can save your drones (and then you have folders for each type of drones you build)?

The second one. Folders thing. That would be pretty neat.

• Like 2

We have thought about adding such a feature, but for the time being we focus on gameplay improvements. If we improve the editor/drone selection again, such a feature would be very welcome from our side as well :) 

Can't promise anything though :) 

• Like 1

Yes, the forward slash is allowed. Could be a way to implement folders :) But ideally we would have a folder structure similar to windows explorer/OSX Finder so it's also easily understood by less tech-savvy people.

That means that a file/folder browser (like Caja) can be done with just a visual front-end, rather than any actual back-end storage changes.

Question: How does that work when using the drone name for a file name on a UNIX system?  Do you allow the backslash as a character on Windows?

• Like 1

String names are currently not parsed, meaning, you can freely enter "/" or "\". If we would use those signs for a folder structure, I would assume that we would handle those two characters the same way.

I would not be the one who would implement such a feature, so I can't say much about technical details/implementations.

Also remember, that I don't promise that we will implement such a feature. Just saying that it's one of the things we think would be valuable but we might not have time to actually implement ;) 

You will want to be careful with allowing file separator characters in file names.  I just tried exporting the drone "Hunter /and\ Gatherer" and it failed silently.  No error messages, just failed to create the file.

That's on Linux.  Not sure what would happen on Windows.

• Like 1