Stray Fawn Community

Health Bars + Expanded Entity Display

Pokestardragacraft

If you've been playing Niche for a while, you probably never thought about being able to hit a rabbil with one strength but need two for a one-hit-kill or that an ape moves twice at night while a walrus deer moves every turn. For new Niche players and old ones that may need a reminder, I am proposing that there's a health bar for entities that do not have a lifespan and expanding on the details for those that already have one. This would also be useful for keeping track of multiple of the same creature for both role-playing and functional purposes. I have a few examples with pictures and I'll describe some more.

First, a health bar for a bluebird:

bluebirdhealthbar.thumb.png.50a0d9e4d82e4b4c4ebc451e2d26bbb2.pngbluebirdhealthbarhover.thumb.png.e6bbd948431032dad44b6989ffc38e2e.png

The three icons on the top represent personal information (health bar creatures only), primary role to you, and current activity. For the bluebird, the first icon lets you know how long this bluebird has been around and an estimated time of leaving. The second icon indicates that the bluebird is primarily a predator. The third icon indicates that the bluebird is flying around. The third icon for the bluebird can also be "targeting" (focused on a specific meal, either meat or baby nicheling), "hungry" (in search of food), and "satisfied" (has just eaten, more likely to leave). 

Next, a health bar for a rabbil:

rabbilhealthbar.thumb.png.a525afd8133f853043ed86cc5f7da2a8.pngrabbilhealthbarhover.thumb.png.4dc4bf4a718f5c2c365267a43e71509f.png

The three icons are representative of the same things as the bluebird. The first icon tells you how long this rabbil has been around. The second icon indicates that the rabbil is primarily prey. The third icon indicates that the rabbil is currently hungry and is searching for food. The third icon for the rabbil can also be "eating", "resting" (is not moving), and "wandering" (is not after anything specific, just around). You can also see that on the health bar that this particular rabbil has been hit once; this allows you to know which rabbil this is.

Also, a complex health bar for a crabbit:

crabbithealthbar.thumb.png.46150a68e5840a8cdd51c298994a20e3.pngcrabbithealthbarhover.thumb.png.845b6978a77c7358893fe84c914261e1.png

The first icon is the same as a rabbil's second icon. The second icon indicates that this creature is focused on a certain creature and will potential follow that creature. The second icon for the crabbit can also be "eating", “wandering”, “hungry”, "resting", and "very focused" (where the crabbit locks its eyes on one creature despite being hit from behind). You'll also notice that the crabbit has both a lifespan and health bar and that the damage is where the lifespan is. This is because from my experience, I have realized that crabbits have a set lifespan of 6-8 days (it's been a while since I tested) and can be attacked. However unlike most entities in Niche, crabbits' lifespan and health work independently.

Some other comments I wanted to make about what other entities could have in terms of information are stagmoles having one health and one defense (and also having the current activity of “hiding” which gives you an estimate of when the stagmole will come out of its hole), carnivorous plants having a health bar that does not show how much health it has until it is either opened or taking a nicheling (when it has a nicheling, clicking on that nicheling twice brings up the carnivorous plant's stats), and fish swarms will also show how many fish they have in each swarm via the "Food worth" section (they also have the current activity of "breeding" where they are increasing their numbers). 

Another side note is that entities that move every day instead of every turn also tell you how much energy they have. For example, the apes have 2 energy as they perform two actions after the day is passed. 

• Like 7

4 replies to this post

It always annoyed me that we couldn't check the bluebird or crabbits (not so much with rabbils as they are one or two hits). Especially now that we can attack the bluebird it is really frustrating not to know when he'll go down.

• Like 2

I'd love this! And I absolutely love how much detail you put into this! And sometimes it annoys me with the rabbils, as sometimes I have a 1 strength tribe and a lot of rabbils, and I can never tell which will fricking die! But, upvote for you!

• Like 2

Hi! I've just updated this to include a sex on the health bars mostly for role-playing purposes. The sex would only be helpful for breedable creatures like friendly bearyenas. There could be more sex exclusive stats like a mother bearyena feeding and protecting or a male rabbil following a female rabbil for her attention. I also wanted to note that wanderers and rouge males should have the same icons. Also also, there are actual internal stats for entities (at least bearyenas) according to this comment: https://strayfawnstudio.com/community/index.php?/topic/2435-bearyenas/&tab=comments#comment-9462 which is pretty cool and would be represented through the icons as well.

• Like 2